• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnowSport track mod thread

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
OK I thought maybe it was time to start a snowsport only thread as the skoots are alot different in the suspensions dept. I have a sport and a skoot and my girls are to the age where they need a little more traction as they get stuck lots on the deeper days. And there not big enough to handle bigger machines yet so this will work for a couple years. Starting with the sport first and well see how it works and maybe do the skoot soon. cut the track with a sawzall:face-icon-small-distook a couple hours but its done and turned out good. working on the rest of the skid mods now and rounding up the needed parts. Im gonna just get it together and run her then pretty it up next summer I think. Also had lots of guys asking about my needed brake mod so here are a couple pics, doner sled is a nytro. Works so good! even in open snow works just fine, very easy mod to do!! Anyone with snow sport mod pics feel free to add them to this thread.

IMG_5521_zpse7cc4f11.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5518_zpsb9fde6b0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5516_zpsd006b2d3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5515_zpsfc74bfea.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5508_zps65b6a9c4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo3_zps507ea384.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

photo1_zps16ba06f0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
yes I found some kimpex drivers the ones that everyone used. Stock suspension on some skidoo 121 rails I found. Almost got it togther, trying hard as we have snow where we live at the moment so I can test drive it some before it all melts :)

more pics soons

C
Nov 29, 2008
on the challenger track I beveled the outer edges of the outer lugs .... 121 does tend to push a bit but has great floatation.
Also, have a look for a skid plate from Polaris as it fits almost perfectly with a little bit of trimming.

C
Nov 29, 2008
old stock unit dealer had it in a bin for $10!!! Think that it was an edge chassis style ... the bends in it for the A arms lined up perfectly and just trimmed away the excess

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Edge Chassis had radius arms and trailing arms, but had a divot on both sides for those.

I had the front belly pan from a Gen II that is on the one I use. It works pretty well to keep things from bashing the motor.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
More pics and rode it last nite...so far very happy with the results:face-icon-small-hap turns nice, transfers well...still zippy with the bigger track. Did check my voltage when running as last season I fought this some and found it isnt charging :( and insight on this???
Also bending up a tunnel extension now and will make a rear bumper for it. More pics when thats done

IMG_5603_zps96b1c51b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5604_zps5d16f6e6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5605_zpsb8120e84.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

trimmed the track down to a solid one inch lug :)

IMG_5606_zpsa880f85a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
ok went for a quick rip with my 9yr old daughter before the snow melts :( you can tell it was a nice warm day! Clutching is a little off so I need to tweak that.
Gathering parts for my skoot now as little sis will be pouty I can already see it lol

IMG_5620_zps3f97e8e2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

working on the tail and the bumper now...its a must IMO for saftey!

IMG_5624_zps04b0b304.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

C
Nov 29, 2008
Made same sort of a tunnel out of fibreglass ... couple of self tapping bolts into the side & top frame plus a little bracket beneath the tail light holds it in place quite well. Added a small rail around the top to strap on gas can and doubles as a grab handle for lifting.

H
Jul 15, 2014
Looks awesome! One happy girl! That thing looks to be in great shape!

Quick question on the Nytro brake mod - did you do it on a Scoot as well? or just a sport? Reason I ask is I got the parts tonight and wanting to do it on my son's scoot.

Wondering what you did with the high low switch for the headlight that is normally in place on the bars where the nytro brake lever holder and reservoir go? And about wiring it up to activate the tailightm if there;s any tips or anything I should know.

Lastly, im assuming the stock brake cover (the domed cap) does not go back on after?

Looks like long track is the way to go-PS slick work on that tunnel! looks factory! that's some sweet craftsmanship!

thanks so much for sharing your long track mod as well as the brake mod

thanks for any replies to my questions above

cheers

H
Jul 15, 2014
Just thinking about it and if im correct the end of the disc where it slides on the drive axel needs to be drilled out so it can slide on the shaft once turned around?

Looks awesome! One happy girl! That thing looks to be in great shape!

Quick question on the Nytro brake mod - did you do it on a Scoot as well? or just a sport? Reason I ask is I got the parts tonight and wanting to do it on my son's scoot.

Wondering what you did with the high low switch for the headlight that is normally in place on the bars where the nytro brake lever holder and reservoir go? And about wiring it up to activate the tailightm if there;s any tips or anything I should know.

Lastly, im assuming the stock brake cover (the domed cap) does not go back on after?

Looks like long track is the way to go-PS slick work on that tunnel! looks factory! that's some sweet craftsmanship!

thanks so much for sharing your long track mod as well as the brake mod

thanks for any replies to my questions above

cheers

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Both my skoot an sport have the nytro brakes. The switch I just tied up under the hood as its never used as we don't ride in the dark. So the low beam is on and that's it. Same with the tail light. It's on but no brake light, could be done quite easy though. The sport I built a fancy cover to keep snow off the rotor ect as I was concerned about wet brakes. The skoot I left wide open and u know what. No issues at all. Even in a foot plus fresh. They stop now with ease!

If your gonna do only one mod on either of these sleds this is the one to do, it's a game changer. The stock brakes suck balls and when these kids panic they need to stop and now! They can lock the track up ease now. Even when my youngest was 5 no issue.

Tunnel ext and bumper are made and fitted. Going to drop them at powder coaters tomorrow. Gathering parts for the skoot now as its next for the 121 mod, mise well get it done now as I know come January thru April well need the bigger foot print:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Just thinking about it and if im correct the end of the disc where it slides on the drive axel needs to be drilled out so it can slide on the shaft once turned around?

Flip the rotor and that's it

Build a flat bracket that fits the caliper. Weld a small one with a mig onto the frame and use a couple 5/16 bolts so it can be taken apart. Make it all straight and inline with the rotor. Easy to do.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
built the bumper from conduit:face-icon-small-hap

parts are at powder coat now....

and here is my ski idea, viper skids, shortened them up some and the bolt fits right in...waiting for a rubber pad to get that all to work. IMO the CA minis just dont look at home on there and there a crazy price. The steel with skins work but are ugly and always full of rust...so well see how this works. Plus nobody likes the ski on the viper, mabe it will work fine on the skoot :face-icon-small-hap

IMG_5634_zps9046b93c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_5611_zps0c92947f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

C
Nov 29, 2008
I used a Kimpex ski - looks just like the ATS Pro Flex II on RD site - nice and flat so you can easily make your own brackets ... I cut the old steel skis apart and used the steel bracket and raised it up an 1.5" .... these are a great fit for the sport and look like they belong on it as they are neither too big or too small. Good floatation too... I tried the uni-ski version but didn't seem to suit as well.

Premium Features