• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

INDY LITE MODS

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
It's crated up and ready to ship up to my crazy buddy in Welch MN. Further inspection today. Looks like the vent line for the oil tank was kinked. I messed with the bars the other day. I don't know if I accidently kinked and didn't even know.

Thinking about updating the tank venting. Has to be a easier way than 10' of that tiny line.

The second motor I bought was a 488. That's a summer project.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Hood is garbage... someone said the 1999-2002? hood will fit too? is this correct? I looked on Polarisfiles.com this morning.. I didn't see a newer IndyLite, just 340.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Hood is garbage... someone said the 1999-2002? hood will fit too? is this correct? I looked on Polarisfiles.com this morning.. I didn't see a newer IndyLite, just 340.

I'm curious myself.........

Looking at some pictures on the 'net, they appear "close". Speedo is mounted in the hood on the later model though.

Let us know how it turns out if you go that route.

Indy 340.jpg Indy Lite.jpg

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
THE HOOD is the same fitment! the speedo will have to move but it will give you the more straight bar that those sleds need.. my daughter fights the taper back of the bars all the time while trying to turn sharp or trying to side hill..
I am going to remove the speedo and install the bar assembly off a 2000 ish rmk so they will be straighter and she can have the mountain bar and a cleaner look..

here is a pic over the weekend she is getting quiet brave.

0110161016a_Burst03 (2).jpg 0110161016a_Burst07.jpg 0110161016a_Burst08.jpg 0110161016a_Burst10.jpg 0110161018.jpg 0110161018_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
THE HOOD is the same fitment! the speedo will have to move but it will give you the more straight bar that those sleds need.. my daughter fights the taper back of the bars all the time while trying to turn sharp or trying to side hill..
I am going to remove the speedo and install the bar assembly off a 2000 ish rmk so they will be straighter and she can have the mountain bar and a cleaner look..

here is a pic over the weekend she is getting quiet brave.

That's cool!

Nothing provides satisfaction like seeing the enjoyment it gives them as their own ability improves.

My son & I were out this weekend too & he had blast. Starting to get the side hilling figured out, reading the snow, jumping from side to side, giving it throttle before he gets stuck LOL, etc......

It truly is satisfying!

Thanks for the info. on the hood S.D.! :yo:

I had plans of painting it one of these days as well as doing the bar mod. but I'll scrap that move to plan B of getting a newer model hood first.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Awesome pics SD!!!!

I kind of like the old school Wedge type hood over the gen 2 style. Speedo in the hood would be nice though. Person could even go to stock tach too.

Well I have been watching eBay to see if any parts pop up. A skid plate showed up but it's purple, I think she needs plum. Good luck huh?????

Any guesses as to which chassis is closest to the lite? So I could modify one of those skid plates??? I know it will require a heat gun, hammer, cut off saw and some gorilla tape.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I used the skid plate off my '99 700 gen II since I had one laying around. I don't remember what I had to do to make it fit, but it likely wasn't much.

Update: I believe I cut about 2-3" off the leading edge as the Gen II rounded out and had a cut out in the center for the middle bumper mount. Once cut straight, I believe I just bolted it up.

Last edited:

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I'm glad you guys mentioned skid plates because I totally forgot install one on my son's machine! :face-icon-small-sho

I'd like to be optimistic that it won't be needed but we all know that isn't way things tend to go. LOL!

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
You guys that have answered questions, and given advice, really have no idea how much I appreciate it!!!!!!

S

SpeedwerxInc

Nov 12, 2015
Forest Lake, MN
www.speedwerxstore.com
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
136" track. One of the old Polaris 136's? Or one of the new 136 Back Country's? What's the best option. New track is single ply, thinking might be quit a bit lighter

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
136" track. One of the old Polaris 136's? Or one of the new 136 Back Country's? What's the best option. New track is single ply, thinking might be quit a bit lighter

It all depends on budget. Most any 136" would be an improvement over stock.

Finding a used 136" X 1.25" is certainly the cheaper / easier route.

I was looking at the Backcountry but happened to stumble across a new 136" X 1.75" on ebay. Don't have the P/N but it was the factory track for the RMKs for a few MYs in the late '90s. I'm sure it's a fair bit heavier than the newer tracks but the price was right however what $$$ I saved I spent on smaller drivers & anti-stab kit.

IMO if you want to drag the kids off the trail into the soft & deep, the longer / bigger lug the better. Gear it down accordingly & the machine will impress with a light rider.

TRS's 550 IQ 163" builds are testament that you don't necessarily need big HP for a big track.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I don't think it will be dragging them back there. It will be where did she go, as she bombs into the trees.

I didn't know the durometers of the new Backcountry tracks. I didn't want some stiff track that digs holes. I suppose that's irrelevant on a 300 some lb sled with a 60-80 lb rider.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Yeah, the new tracks are a big improvement over the ones built 15 years ago for sure.

Regardless, any track with lugs bigger than 5/8" will be a step up from factory. As you mentioned, a light rider negates some of the disadvantages of the older track models.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I did the 133.5 1 1/2 paddle off a 95 xlt and it works great!

Yep, it'd be like night & day compared to the stock track I bet.

I recall the first aggressive track I installed on a '93 Polaris 500 EFI. It already had 1.250" plastic paddles but switching up to the 1.5" aggressive track made it twice the machine.

Certainly nothing compared to the Challenger Extreme of today but an improvement nonetheless.

I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Yeah. Not to get off topic. I remember in college we would wait for the catalogs to come out in Feb/March. Everyday out to the dealer. When the teal 97 came out... 136". Holy crap why would anyone ever need something that big. That was huge. We thought it was CRAZY.

Premium Features