• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

INDY LITE MODS

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
I have a 90 lite and picked up a 95 this week end for the chain case...i was going to put hydro brakes on it and was looking at long tracking it ect .ect...for my 7 year old daughter

What i was wondering if anyone had put extra 10 in one and how much of a pain in the a!@ it will be?? And also does anyone know if a hood from a 2000 will fit the 95's

Thanks in advance .

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I have a 90 lite and picked up a 95 this week end for the chain case...i was going to put hydro brakes on it and was looking at long tracking it ect .ect...for my 7 year old daughter

What i was wondering if anyone had put extra 10 in one and how much of a pain in the a!@ it will be?? And also does anyone know if a hood from a 2000 will fit the 95's

Thanks in advance and if you are needing a few parts as i am trading stuff around i am sure i will have a almost complete 1990 laying here.

Link to my 2000 POLARIS 340 build with a close-up pic of the hood if that helps.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332505

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I think the hood should fit as the cowling between the seat and hood looks identical.

I have a '94 that I longtracked this winter. Kid hit a tree so I bought a '92 for parts. The '92 is the direct drive which has smaller drivers and a narrower clutch spacing. You will need some measurements off your donor sled to get everything lined up. The air intake is different between the two I have, plus the exhaust. Otherwise, pretty similar.

I geared this one down and it motored around in knee deep snow with me and the daughter on it real well. Electric start and hot grips she is a happy camper.

Snow Duck

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
I think the hood should fit as the cowling between the seat and hood looks identical.

I have a '94 that I longtracked this winter. Kid hit a tree so I bought a '92 for parts. The '92 is the direct drive which has smaller drivers and a narrower clutch spacing. You will need some measurements off your donor sled to get everything lined up. The air intake is different between the two I have, plus the exhaust. Otherwise, pretty similar.

I geared this one down and it motored around in knee deep snow with me and the daughter on it real well. Electric start and hot grips she is a happy camper.

so you used the smaller drives off the 92...to get the 1 1/2 under it?

i can't find a 2000ish hood so i am having the local peterbilt shop paint it dark pink for me..

the 95 i bought has the chain case so that is the one i am building...I am putting a 1" 133.5 off a 440 sks under it..and fox shocks all the way around i opted to not put the extra 10 in because i think she will be ready for a 440 or 500 liquid soon..

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
The track is a 136 x 1.25 off a newer Trail RMK. I used the chaincase style with the factory 9 tooth drivers. It fits fine, a little tight getting the driveshaft back in place, but the track does not rub.

I wouldn't put a different suspension in, just grease up what you have and maybe upgrade the shocks like you have done. My experience has been that you start adding rear height and it changes the steering geometry and they don't steer as well. Not much need for a 50-75# rider.

I have a 440 SKS with the 1.5" lug waiting for the rider to move on to, but I did get electric start on the donor sled that will go on the 440 before this winter, so it is her choice.

Snow Duck

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
OK i had our fab shop build me a tunnel ext and after a long fight to figure out i had the wrong rails i have almost completed this simple project... Thanks to SLASH i am putting hydro brakes on and wiring all the controlls to the handle bars so we have high and low heat for my lil girls hands...Taking the hood to the body shop so they can fix 2 cracks and paint it the dark pink to match the stripes on the tunnel..will up date some pics when the hood is finished..OH and while she was in the garage she asked can i have some of those wire things you put down to scratch the snow?? so i found the cable ones i had and put them on!! You should have seen her smile....then when i had finally put the motor back in and started it she started shaking with joy! oh how 7 year olds can make you smile and feel good for just simple things...

0527131917.jpg 0527131917a.jpg

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
OK i had our fab shop build me a tunnel ext and after a long fight to figure out i had the wrong rails i have almost completed this simple project... Thanks to SLASH i am putting hydro brakes on and wiring all the controlls to the handle bars so we have high and low heat for my lil girls hands...Taking the hood to the body shop so they can fix 2 cracks and paint it the dark pink to match the stripes on the tunnel..will up date some pics when the hood is finished..OH and while she was in the garage she asked can i have some of those wire things you put down to scratch the snow?? so i found the cable ones i had and put them on!! You should have seen her smile....then when i had finally put the motor back in and started it she started shaking with joy! oh how 7 year olds can make you smile and feel good for just simple things...

I'd be interested in seeing the the wiring controls installed onto the handlebars.

I'm not happy with the console switches on my daughter's 340.

Was looking at the EDGE handlebar switches, but I'd still like to keep the cable brake controls for now, (may upgrade to hydraulics later) for easier grip / reach.

Unless someone knows if there's some brake levers with a bend that places them closer to the hand-grip?????

**************************************************************************************

BTW, I think those USI "Magenta Skis" would match the purple stripe on your tunnel pretty closely

Congrats on the build, glad your daughter's thrilled!

Last edited:

Snow Duck

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
OK not the best pics but if you want more i can get a few..it was very easy simple wiring to do and i would highly recommend the hydro brake system..if you have the chain case just remove cable brake assembly and shims..install caliper assembly and have a new hose made at the local hose fitting shop....its 40 to 50 bucks for a fly or spi hose. I happen to have made the new one about 4 inches too long but i guess if she can handle this sled for a few years i can add risers and a paddle track...:face-icon-small-hap

Kraven my daughter does have a bit of a time pulling the lever but it is a lot easier for her to get a hold of that slim handle over that big flipper..I have played around with a old lever and a micro torch by warming up the slimmer lever you can get it bent into a slight s shape...i did that on a Elk hunting cart i built with brakes..

I have found a set of black with gray simmons ski's i am thinking about..

0529130543a.jpg 0529130543b.jpg

Last edited:

Snow Duck

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
I've got the brake assembly off my '99 700 RMK that will likely end up on mine. Just didn't want to destroy the heaters, but may have to to get the better setup.

ahh i went back and looked you would have to cut up the old cable assembly to get them off the bars then you would not ruin the heater..my heaters were bad so i bought the spi high low replacements to put under those bright pink grips..

if anyone wants the cable assembly complete!! you pay shipping and you can have it..

the 2000 brake switch assembly is 2 piece so you would not ruin any heaters and the hook up is simple if you have all the harness... the yellow wire sticking out by the key harness is a good power sorce and i ran my ground down to the screw on the voltage regulator..

and i ripped this lil guy across the grass last night and it was kinda fun pulling a wheelie :face-icon-small-hap on such a small thing.

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
ahh i went back and looked you would have to cut up the old cable assembly to get them off the bars then you would not ruin the heater..my heaters were bad so i bought the spi high low replacements to put under those bright pink grips..

if anyone wants the cable assembly complete!! you pay shipping and you can have it..

the 2000 brake switch assembly is 2 piece so you would not ruin any heaters and the hook up is simple if you have all the harness... the yellow wire sticking out by the key harness is a good power sorce and i ran my ground down to the screw on the voltage regulator..

and i ripped this lil guy across the grass last night and it was kinda fun pulling a wheelie :face-icon-small-hap on such a small thing.

If I end up doing the hydraulic brake conversion, do I use the caliper & mounts off of an EDGE or other?????????

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
My '05 Edge would not work. My '99 700 RMK looks just like what the "Duck" posted. They drop in from the top and use the same 2 bolts as the factory cable set up.

Sorry about the oil pump in this shot. I was demonstrating the oil output by port on the pump when priming it.

Snow Duck

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
My '05 Edge would not work. My '99 700 RMK looks just like what the "Duck" posted. They drop in from the top and use the same 2 bolts as the factory cable set up.

Sorry about the oil pump in this shot. I was demonstrating the oil output by port on the pump when priming it.

correct when they came out with the edge the changed the complete chain case..so anyting 99 to 01 will have the caliper and hand controlls i used...just remember the shims under the cable caliper will not be used with the hydro caliper.

Snow Duck

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Ok so almost done went with this color instead of hot pink so it would match the tunnel decals and then i could do some pinkish decals on the hood....

So whats left?? decals for one and then i need to cut out the inside back of the plastic ski's as the hit the shocks...did you have to do this also Volcano Buster?? then i should have put in rubber tipped needles when i cleaned the carbs!! Arrrgh.... why did they ever do that!!

I did install some mirrors so she could keep a eye on Mom or brother behind her and i like that the flat spot on the hood next to the windshield bracket is a clean fit and look for those!

I do reccomend the newer brake and controls!!! with the bar and thumb warmer switches is a nice add on and it is way easier for her to pull that Hays lever that the big bulky plastic cable lever..

so here is a few more pics till i figure out some decals...

0610131943.jpg 0610131944c.jpg 0610131943b.jpg

Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had to notch the skis as well. It takes out one of the large rivets that holds the spindle mounting bucket in place, but I just moved that forward. Given what the sled is, there has not been any issue with the notch in the side of the ski rib.

Nice looking ride for sure.

I also picked up a windshield bag for a Gen II sled at the swap meet last year and made it fit. Handy for the kid to have storage right in front of them. If yours are like mine they won't remember to secure a bag unless things are literally hitting them in the face.

Snow Duck

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
[Nice looking ride for sure. thanks!

I also picked up a windshield bag for a Gen II sled at the swap meet last year and made it fit. Handy for the kid to have storage right in front of them. If yours are like mine they won't remember to secure a bag unless things are literally hitting them in the face.[/QUOTE]
glad you brought that up...i did see it in the picture and forgot to ask!!!!!! I do still have a genII bag

F
Dec 8, 2007
you gentleman obviously know your stuff, so I must ask the experts. My sons 07 polaris 340 crank went out this past winter. He just turned 6, is small but strong and can drive my 800 pretty good with me on the back. I have the parts to long track it but I didn't think it would turn a 136x1.5, and after reading all your posts I think it will now. Can fix crank for around $300, long track it and would last him one more winter, or would a 440 0r 500 fan bolt in using carbs, clutches,and belts, lasting him 2-3 yrs. Don't have alot of time to test, was looking for something quick and fairly easy. Thanks in advance for the help.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
First, the engine.

I believe there have been uses of the 488 fan motor bolting into the Indy Lite chassis with minimal issue. I have been thinking about this as my kids are longer than they are wide so a smaller machine with a little more power sounds interesting.

Secondly, the size of the operator.

I will likely take some bashing over this but I don't think putting a 6 year old on a 500/600 is a good idea. I think that riders get better when they have to challenge themselves to make a machine perform at its highest level. I follow this up by saying that riders that jump to too large of a machine too quickly have a tendency to just let the sled get them where they want to go (kids and adults alike). This does very little for acquiring the skill set needed to ride at today's levels. This may not make too much sense, but when an operator has a 550 and all the other guys are on 600 liquids or greater, that rider has to figure out how to make it perform (performance of the machine and riding style) to get the job done. Once that rider moves up to something larger, the skills learned carry over and the operator is now a lot better off than one that was simply installed on a more capable machine (ie higher horsepower/better equipped).

Thirdly, safety.

My 10 year wrecked her long tracked 340 Indy Lite this winter in a simple judgement error (long story) but could have been tremendously worse had she been on the next sled in line for her to ride - 440 SKS l/c. I believe the mental maturity of the operator should not be over-estimated to combine them with conditions that they are not able to comprehend. I am not lumping all young operators in this category, but after my experience I am not excited when I see young kids on "Dad's 800" just because they can reach the gas and the brake.

Happy decisions.

Premium Features