• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 975 big bore

kipperdavis

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2008
De Smet, SD
My brother is looking at buying 05 900 with a carl's cycle975 bb kit. It has about 2300 mile. 159 inch track and all the things these 900s need to be reliable. What are some of the good and bad things with these kits! Any input on the would be great thanks!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i have an 05 975.

these kits flat out RUN...they are extremely reliable and need NO tuning.

you should run 50/50 race fuel/pump fuel depending on your altitide of coarse...i use 50/50 100LL Avgas/91 pump fuel at 6000-8000ft.

you can ONLY use wiesco pistons which you must get from Carls cycle only..about $210 each piston...

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I have a 975 as well. Is there a way to re flash the ECU to make it run pump gas? or install a commander??

no..you cannot touch the flash on the ECU..

the ONLY other option to use on fuel minus Avgas/Race Fuel mix..is this...

1. you can send your 975 head to Derek Fischer of Additude Industries in Utah and he can machine the head to run pump fuel, BUT you must buy one of his fuel box controllers with his programming to use the pump fuel, he has a 975 an did this setup personally and ran it like that for 2 seasons with NO issues...

the head machining is about $175 or so, plus his control box which is $300 or so...

2. you can run avgas mix with 91 pump fuel...of coarse alot cheaper then race fuel if thats what your using now.

3. which i am going to play with....full tank of 91 pump fuel, and half to 1 full qrt (depending on your desired octane number) of Torco Accelerator (do your own research please)...and it would be equivilant to running avgas or race fuel...but its not cheap either, but better then carrying a drum of fuel with you ;)

im working on becoming a dealer for Torco if they let me ;)

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Make sure you warm the engine up good. The wiseco pistons can seize if you don't.

A
Apr 25, 2009
Big Sky, MT
I just bought the sled and he was running full vp race fuel as far as I know. He said the same, that I would have to run at least 50/50 race to pump. He also mentioned that plenty of guys swear by the additive, but he wasn't able to get any consistent results out of it.

A
Apr 25, 2009
Big Sky, MT
It would be nice to know what the lowest octane points you can run. I am looking at buying a barrel of the highest octane/price per gallon fuel I can find. Also, where do I find rings for this beast?

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
It would be nice to know what the lowest octane points you can run. I am looking at buying a barrel of the highest octane/price per gallon fuel I can find. Also, where do I find rings for this beast?

Yes that would be nice, wonder if there is a way to calculate it.

Rings are from wiseco.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT

yeh hard to say...i think you will have to stay around 102-106 max on octane to prevent any DET issues..

i would run straight avgas if i was you, no need for race fuel when the octane points are only about 2 between 112 sunoco and avgas 100LL

you can prolly get the rings from Carls Cycle, Weisco makes the pistons, but is a single contract to carls and HTG only..

A
Apr 25, 2009
Big Sky, MT
I'm new to the sled scene. fill me in on DET? I'm not familiar with race gas or avgas either. the guy I bought it from sold me a half barrel of VP 110. He was running it straight, in the race application. I'm looking to run a mixture, obviously, what do you run in your 975? Are you purchasing the avgas in barrels? Looking for the most economical/best performing combo I can come up with. So far, have just considered getting my hands on a barrel of avgas like you said, or mixing a barrel of 110 50-50 with pump 91.

Last edited:

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Just found out I'm right down the road from Torco right now. Called them up and because I have Montana adress and license there is no tax for me and no hazmat shipping cost if I get it myself.

Price is $227 / 5 gal

or $125.70 for 6 qt case.

Guessing the 975 needs one qt for ever 5 gal of fuel to get consistent performance.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
I will be all over but I'm from Bozeman. I just talked to the dealer in Butte and he can seell it for 200 for 5 gal if I pick it up or 225 shipped so might as well get it in MT. I'm not sure when I will be coming back your way but if you still need some I can pick it up for you.

Easier to deal with is key I think. If you only need 102 octane than 5 gal will give you 200 gal of fuel mixed. if you need 105 than 100 gal.

A barrel of AV gas weighs about 500 lbs, so hauling around a barrel or two would be a huge pain in the A$$.

If you can get AVgas locally that will be your cheepest bet still.

A
Apr 25, 2009
Big Sky, MT
I'm from big sky, so finding AV locally will not be an easy task. If I could be guaranteed of the results from torco I would be picking some up ASAP. I wonder if there is a dealer in Bozeman willing to give the same deal. Although, once I got the barrel of AV into my garage, it wouldnt be too bad, all the options are time consuming and annoying in some way. Having to figure out the mixture of torco at the pump, if your tank is partially full, could be easily calculated, but still tedious.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
There are only two torco dealers in MT right now. In Butte and in Missoula. I talked to the dealer from Butte today and asked him a ton of questions.

First and biggest was how do you determine how much you need. They rode cats all last year with it and he said they just throw the engine into limp mode if you do not have high enough octane and you have to turn them off to reset them. Just add a little more if they do this.

Barrel of AVgas =55 Gal, approximately 500 lbs So 5 or 6 rides for most of us and 4 rides up Taylors fork :face-icon-small-coo So you need to haul 1000 lbs of fuel up to your house and have a way to load and unload it. Just the cost of going to get it wipes out any savings.

A
Apr 25, 2009
Big Sky, MT
i called torco direct and they said they had no dealers in montana. so that is great news to me. i need to get my hands on a bucket of that stuff one way or another. if you're willing to bring one over to bozeman some time, that would be great. i won't be able to ride this beast for a few more weeks, as i broke my thumb opening day in resort at big sky, so there is no rush. good news is, it was the left hand!! haha. my name is damien, 209-5759. give me a shout to arrange details if you're still willing. thanks a lot. we'll have to take a ride sometime as well.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Go to their website and it has a dealer locator and there is a dealer in Butte and one in Missoula.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Good thing you only broke left thumb because if it was your right I think the pain of trying to crank this sled would kill you. (about twice as hard to pull as a 900:face-icon-small-ton)

380499_10150387568696595_679401594_8587574_1615253722_n.jpg

Premium Features