• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Knee/shin protection?

jdw1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2008
Minnesota
I am guiding this year for the first time and we all use "Fly Moto Knee's", it's the way to go.Found them on www.oemcycle.com for about 48 bucks shipped to me. I would get them again!

DenverR1

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2007
Denver, CO
Instead of wearing pads I put pads on the sled this year and they've worked out great. No bruised shins, etc. I don't like wearing pads because it makes it akward to put a knee down on the seat.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I wouldn't go with those knee guards you linked. One strap won't hold it in place at all, you'll be fidgeting with them all day. I used the cheap $20/pair knee guards last year, shift was my favorite, but I also wore a pair of Fox guards. Broke four of them over the course of the season. They'll walk around a bit, I always had them slide down and outside the knee. Keep in mind they're made to be worn with motocross boots holding them in place.

I'm now wearing .... worth every damn penny. Put them on in the morning and they stay put all day; comfortable enough I don't realize they're on. A little more bulk to them than the cheapo knee guards, but the protection is way better and they still fit comfortably under my pants.

I disagree with DenverR1 about being difficult to put a knee on the seat with them. As mentioned ^, I don't even notice I have them on anymore, and when you smash your knee into the gas cap/cowl/rails/skis/windshield (i wreck a lot) you're not left with a huge bruise for the next week.

FWIW, I wear Klim adrenaline boots and the two don't interfere at all. They meet up nicely and there's no gap in protection between knee/shin guard and boot. Snowboard boots should be fine with just about any knee guard on the market.

W
Aug 20, 2008
utah
Instead of wearing pads I put pads on the sled this year and they've worked out great. No bruised shins, etc. I don't like wearing pads because it makes it akward to put a knee down on the seat.

i think they are more for if you slip off and hit your shin or knee on the footboard rail. it got my shin and my knee once and it does not feel good i do were knee guards now but want some to cover lower on my shin as well

B
Nov 21, 2007
Jackson WY
Here's another vote for the Thor Force protectors. I got a tip from a guy we ride with on these and they are great. The knee cup is made from Aramid fiber, and is real comfortable to ride with your knee on the seat. I did try a smaller pair of Flys before the Thors, and only ended up wearing them once or twice. They shift around and aren't nearly as tough.

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I wear a pair or 10 dollar Thors. Shin and knee cup, two straps and they stay put. Sit just above my HMKs. Don't notice them at all putting a leg on the seat and they stay put fine.

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
Another vote here for a good set of shin pads for sledding. Took a hard landing on one ski a couple of months ago and my shin is still numb from the beating it took. I may have to look for a set of the Thors based on the above recommendations.

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fox mountain bike knee/shin guards for $20. They're designed to stay in place because you still have to pedal a downhill mtn bike at times, so they don't slide up and down like the motocross version. Double strap and the upper strap is placed high so it wraps around the uppper portion of your calf muscle just below knee so it stays in place.

My 2 cents,

Kale

F

flying pig

Jan 17, 2008
Wembley Alberta Canada
I wear asterisk cell knee braces. After I hit a burried stump in 2004 they became invaluable to me. One stump can easily leave you with bad knees for the rest of your life, as it did to me. Never ridden without them since.

J

John

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 27, 2003
Boise, Id
I ended up getting the Fox MX guards. Wish I'd have had them sooner...Even if you only get the cheap $20.00 ones, get something. It will be much cheaper than the trip to the ER.

DSCF0001.jpg

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
thor force is what our whole group wears. we swear by them. has protected us from lots of knee and shin bangs. all you have to do is hit the running board edge wrong one time and lose all the skin on your shin to know why we wear them. ski

S
Dec 3, 2007
Vernon BC
Fox mountain bike knee/shin guards for $20. They're designed to stay in place because you still have to pedal a downhill mtn bike at times, so they don't slide up and down like the motocross version. Double strap and the upper strap is placed high so it wraps around the uppper portion of your calf muscle just below knee so it stays in place.

My 2 cents,

Kale

What kind of boots are you wearing them with??? I mtn bike as well so i tried my Race Face legs on but they are too long to wear with snowboard boots
thanks

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Also have the Thor's, great product and fit is great for sleddin. I fall a lot like Mule, only two rides this year I haven't fallen off, and these things work awesome!!!! Price is a little more but it is cheaper than a trip to the ER......

Premium Features