• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is this safe?

S
Had a problem the other day on one of my 900's. sounded like the track was ratcheting but ended up being the chain. took the cover off and there was zero fluid and the chain was stretched beyond belief. I tightened as far as i could with the adjuster and it seems like it might be ok for just some trips around the house. is that ok do you think?

markoo

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Southern Alberta
I would replace the chain and even the gears if they are scored. If your old chains snaps under full throttle you'll be buying a new chaincase.

R

R_8_N

Nov 28, 2007
the oil had to go somewhere too. might have a bad seal or somthin. got some more issues I bet.

The flying vee

Lifetime Membership
Mar 25, 2008
Kewaskum WI
Yep, happened to me on my 06 600ho last year. Heat from running hard warped plastic cover on chaincase. Opened up cover, completly dry, even a grey metal dust on everything, chain tensioner melted. Ended up replacing cover, gasket, gears,tensioner and chain. Installed the reinforcing plate on the cover. Was worried what this did to my drive bearing, but no problems since with 550 miles(knock on wood). :D

Premium Features