• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

INSULATED vs NON-INSULATED MONOSUIT

yosh30

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2009
Interested in the difference between the insulated and non insulated in mountain riding conditions. Got a steal of a deal on an insulated motorfist mono. I've always wore non insulated and layered underneath. Will this insulated mono be way overbearing in the sweat dept.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Personally I would not want insulated gear for backcountry / mountain riding. Being able to "layer" your clothing for high activity is key to staying comfortable and dry!! You also have the ability to adjust your layering to compensate for the changing weather conditions and your own body conditions as mentioned. The more layers (proper layers) also act as a sweat trap and can pull the sweat from your body and get it off your skin. This in turn keeps your body temp more regulated which obviously keeps you more comfortable.

It seems that most people that ride with insulated gear, do just that, insulated gear and don't layer enough. This can be okay as long as your body temperature doesn't fluctuate or change much.

Me personally, I would get too warm, which equals more sweat, which in turn is uncomfortable and leads to getting cold!!

I have buddies that run insulated gear and I also have insulated gear but this stuff is typically used for back home when the temps are down and so is the overall activity while riding. Trail riding, ditch blasting, then yes insulated or more layers. Keep in mind even with insulated gear, I would still run some kind of layers and most important....................NO COTTON!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Interested in the difference between the insulated and non insulated in mountain riding conditions. Got a steal of a deal on an insulated motorfist mono. I've always wore non insulated and layered underneath. Will this insulated mono be way overbearing in the sweat dept.

I suppose it will have a LOT to do with just how Physical a rider you are, and how good the VENTING system is on your monosuit.

yosh30

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2009
I am a bigger rider at 6'3" and 225, I'm a very active rider tend to stick to the tight treed areas..I've always been a fan of just a shell with proper layering underneath, we will see how this mono turns out

R

rmk01r1der

Apr 30, 2008
ND
I don't have any experience with the insulated version but last year I was happy with my noninsulated mono. Definitely layered up in the early season but spring riding I had all the vents open. As long as the suit has good venting I think the insulated version would be just fine. Either way the mono's great :face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features