• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chatbox

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ya.
This is the same bug we had to resolve 408 days ago
The Chat Box can't handle all the members that log into the forums and then leave their logged in window open. Over time it accumulates THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of logged in members and eventually can't keep up with the update requests. The only option then becomes to shut it down for 245 hours or so and let it slowly clear out its internal logs.

Then I will turn it back on and we will be fine for the next year

zalez

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2012
why 245 hrs thats a very long time not to harass people

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Is that the length that something caches? It's such an odd amount.

Was the PHP error that I was seeing related to the Chatbox?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It's Monday....
it is and I turned it back on this morning.
Server CPU load went from 7.8% to 68% in 2 minutes.
Anything over 60% load and the member thinks the forums are crashed.
Anything over 50% load and it seems VERY slow.

When it hit 68% I turned off the "interface" that you see on the home page and left the module running in the back ground. So you can see on the graph all that CPU load is coming from INACTIVE members who's browsers are pounding us.

right now we have what appears to be 15 members who have an open session of SnoWest running on their desktop that they have not done anything with in a couple of days. Likely its an open tab just sitting there. For reasons we can't explain those 15 members are generating about 300 requests PER SECOND to the Chat Box asking it to update and refresh. And we have not yet figured out anyway to "Force" them out of the box without them doing something on their end to refresh the page.

Attachments

• server-load.jpg
    server-load.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 64
Premium Features