• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why do the Go Pro batteries suck so bad???

F

flex2win

Oct 11, 2009
I'm open for suggestions, tired of getting into the backcountry, and my camera is dead.
I had to carry extra batteries w/ on the last day just so I could shoot a few videos...what a disappointment.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm open for suggestions, tired of getting into the backcountry, and my camera is dead.
I had to carry extra batteries w/ on the last day just so I could shoot a few videos...what a disappointment.
High surface area, low core density, allows them to get COLD fast.
I also wish there was some alternative battery system offered by GoPro.

There is a thread about a guy who hard wired a external battery into his case.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is a commercial solution
http://www.photographyandcinema.com/pages/cagepro

IMG_7207_large.jpg

How Does it Work?
Our unique Patent Pending design solves several problems for filmmakers who use the GOPRO® HERO3 / HERO3+ in professional production and broadcast environments. First and foremost, our cage offers additional mounting points - an important feature to minimize vibrations when rigging the GOPRO® to cars, motorcycles, planes, boats, and more.
The CagePro also incorporates a 62mm threaded filter ring to further improve the image quality from the GOPRO® HERO3 / HERO3+ Cameras. By adding an ND Filter you can reduce shutter speeds on bright days which can help to reduce Jello and Rolling Shutter effects. Or slap on a CPL (circular polarizing) filter to reduce glare on reflective surfaces and enhance color saturation in skies, oceans, and trees.

Our most innovative feature pumps power to your Hero3 through a common LP-E6 battery (Canon DSLR Type)! A single Canon LP-E6 Battery can provide more than 5 hours of run time on a single charge. A perfect solution for long video takes, or a full day of Time Lapse projects.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is another commercial external battery solution.
http://cam-do.com/GoProBatteryEliminator.html

15 Watt Hour LiPo Battery with 3.7 to 4.2 Volt Output

To use the V15 15 Watt Hour battery with the 4V GoPro Battery Eliminator it is necessary to tap the internal battery supply which is compatible with the camera.

BE-12V.jpg

H3+Bback.jpg

V15tap2.jpg
This specially adapted battery is fitted with a short cable terminated in a male connector compatible with the Cam-Do 4V Battery Eliminator Dummmy Battery

This is the most efficient solution for providing a high power battery which can be simultaneously kept charged by solar power or an AC adapter, providing a long term uninterruptible power solution for long term installations.

When the GoPro camera is powered directly from the V15 battery in this manner, the USB connector at the side of the camera is free for connecting to a computer for instant downloading of images and video.

On its own, the V15 battery lengthens the GoPro battery life by 3 to 4X.

Last edited:

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
It kind of sucks and is a hassle some time but i find throwing a hand warmer in a goggle bag with the camera in the morning tell i get ware i want to film seams to help keep them charged and happy for a while.

bucky919

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2008
North Dakota
I never really had a problem with my hero 2, I only carry one extra battery so two total. On the trail I usually keep it the camera in my backpack, put the batteries in the inside of my coat pocket. Then when I get to good riding I put the camera on and turn it on and off as needed I don't record the whole time. Then I don't take the camera off my sled or helmet to the end of the day. Usually by lunch ive gone through the first battery and the second battery the rest of the day.

ilovepowder

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2009
Cold Spring mn
stores.ebay.com
Yeah it could I guess. At least it would be water proof enough for sledding. Not diving in water... I should try it I'm tired of switching batteries constantly. Wouldn't it be nice to have a 64 gb card and just turn it on and ride. I have like 4 batteries and they still won't fill the card

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
I think if i can snag one of these batteries i will put together a thread on how i converted one of my waterproof boxes to accommodate the battery pack.

It would be interesting to see how you would carry it with the back pack, if the cable gets caught. Would you get a longer cable and tape it down the helmet..

Ilovepowder, are you using the external battery pack or just changing internal batteries?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I would also be game to give this a try.
Wonder if it would be worth trying to
Just mount the battery pack directly to the rear of the helmet, and not have any cords going from the helmet down into your jacket to worry about?

ilovepowder

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2009
Cold Spring mn
stores.ebay.com
I have the touch lcd screen so I just switch out batteries.
I would think you would want to keep the external battery in your jacket or some where warm or it probably wouldn't lat as long as it could either. Just run the wire down our through your helmet with a quick disconnect plug for when you take your helmet off.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
during the summer, they will last all of 2 hours....usually longer. the cold just kills them. get a pair of those cheep batteries of amazon. then when one's dead, put it in your warm chest pocket and install a charged warm one in the camera. keep rotating them, they will last all day.

i like that big azz battery you guys are posting. mine is only a hero 3 though, so i suppose it wont work....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
during the summer, they will last all of 2 hours....usually longer. the cold just kills them. get a pair of those cheep batteries of amazon. then when one's dead, put it in your warm chest pocket and install a charged warm one in the camera. keep rotating them, they will last all day.

i like that big azz battery you guys are posting. mine is only a hero 3 though, so i suppose it wont work....
Its the CASE not the camera.
If you have the Hero3+ case, with a Hero 3 inside of it, apparently, from the reviewers on Amazon, it will work.

2Huskies

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2009
Rigby, Idaho
Well that could be a better solution in and of its self! But I get 4 hours with the extended battery pack on it with it being on and shooting whenever I want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features