• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Paul Thacker World Record Video- Crashes and breaking of record

M
Jan 18, 2008
*MONSTER ENERGY'S NIGHT OF RECORDS*

Paul Thacker Sets The World Snowmobile Distance Jumping Mark @ 271 Feet In Minnesota!

Thacker's world record effort comes on the heels of Delene Dippel's world record women's jump moments before on the Monster Energy/Slednecks Invasion Tour

CORONA, Calif., (Feb. 18, 2008) – Monster Energy-backed Paul Thacker flew his 430-pound Bikeman Performance-powered Polaris IQ snowmobile into the record books on Saturday, uncorking a world record 271-foot flight despite some vicious winds and a couple gnarly get-offs in the process.

The second stop on the 2007-'08 Monster Energy Slednecks Invasion tour at Shakopee, Minn.'s Canterbury Park Raceway was also highlighted by the first-ever woman's snowmobile jump into the record book when Californian Delene Dippel warmed up the sizable crowd for Thacker with a near 200-foot jump of her own (180.6 feet).

"The winds were crazy. The crowd went crazy and Monster Energy was again thrilled to be part of Slednecks' historic evening of snowmobile showmanship - the likes of which have never been seen before," said Monster Energy's Terri Sacks. "It was for sure touch-and-go with Paul there a bit, but we're extremely pleased he was able to make it through and complete his record-setting jump.

"Delene as well. She's done what no other woman has done before and we're very proud of her."

Thacker's jump of 271 feet broke the existing snowmobile distance jumping record by some eight feet (263 feet set in Colorado of March, '07). But it didn't come without great difficulty as the weather would create a struggle for Thacker, who not only crashed numerous times warming up for the record, but was unable at the time to attempt to make a run at eclipsing the magical 300-foot barrier.

"After Delene did her record we move the ramp back 50 feet and it was my turn," explained Thacker. "We jumped 220 or so twice, then moved it back another 25 feet. And that's when the craziness started."

With head winds gusting upwards of 30 miles per hour, Thacker was forced to fly his sled like a kite as the machine, according to Thacker, tends to want to float up and down. "On that third jump the sled basically just floated beyond my ability to correct and we stacked it up at 230 feet," he said. "But someone above was watchin' out for me and I ended up walking away."

Forced to go to his back up sled, Thacker then jumped again – but this time it was a nasty cross wind that caught him, crossed him up beyond the point of no return and pummeled him back to earth some 240 feet from where he took off.

"Our only option was to go again," he said.

That said, Thacker and the Slednecks crew moved the take-off ramp back again – a true 232 foot gap between take-off and landing – waited a bit for the winds to die down and got after it again.

"We hit the ramp twice at 79 mph and jumped 255 feet," he said. "Then it was time to risk it all and get that record – which I did. Hit the ramp at 82 (mph) and flew 271."

For Dippel it wasn't a question of breaking the record more as it was how much farther she'd go after creating the record on Friday at a made-for-press event at Canterbury.

"It was amazing to go out and crush the record I just did on Friday," she said. "Great having Monster there with me."

Added Monster Energy athlete Tucker Hibbert ('08 X Games Sno-X gold medalist): "I'm pumped that I could be at Canterbury to support fellow Monster Energy athlete's, Paul and Delene Saturday night. I watched Paul's jump on TV last year but it doesn't even compare to watching it in person. I was definitely impressed by Paul and Delene and congratulations to both of them on breaking records."

For more information on Thacker's record attempt, link to www.slednecks.com or www.monsterenergy.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwk5UeXIuRM

Premium Features