• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KTM 4CS Fork Help

K
Feb 22, 2016
Belgrade MT
Guys,

So i went out last week for the first time on my bike and i had a strange issue with my forks, was bitter cold but it seems that they are weeping a little... I set out to find a solution for this problem and i have ran into a couple issues.

1) I cant get heavy springs for my forks with out machining out my internals? Whats the deal with that, I have three very reliable sources telling me its a big hassle.

2) I ordered some neoprene fork boots to stop ice or snow form effecting it.

Any help with this issue is extremely appreciated, this looks really expensive from where I am at now, if you are wondering where that is at its buying old forks and putting them on my 16.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Guys,

So i went out last week for the first time on my bike and i had a strange issue with my forks, was bitter cold but it seems that they are weeping a little... I set out to find a solution for this problem and i have ran into a couple issues.

1) I cant get heavy springs for my forks with out machining out my internals? Whats the deal with that, I have three very reliable sources telling me its a big hassle.

Any help with this issue is extremely appreciated, this looks really expensive from where I am at now, if you are wondering where that is at its buying old forks and putting them on my 16.
I just put .54 springs in a set today, no problem

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
Not sure what you have going on. If they are stock they might be under valved and under sprung depending on your setup. Motion Sports / RG3 NW Suspension Center put .58 springs and custom valving in my 4CS 16 SXF 450. :face-icon-small-coo

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Call up http://www.cannonracecraft.com/ and tell them you want to build a snowbike specific spring setup. I custom ordered a set of .64 springs and changed my closed cartridge and main chamber oil to a 15w oil.... massive difference that I absolutely love. I went ahead and updated all my seals to high quality SKF seals and then put on neoprene fork socks. I have to tell you that these stiff forks are an absolute must for snowbiking for me from now on. It helps everywhere... on the road, in the deep, on the packed snow.... keeping your front end up is a massive benefit to the handling characteristics of a snowbike.

Just make sure you call Cannon Racecraft and they will tell you exactly what to do.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Call up http://www.cannonracecraft.com/ and tell them you want to build a snowbike specific spring setup. I custom ordered a set of .64 springs and changed my closed cartridge and main chamber oil to a 15w oil.... massive difference that I absolutely love. I went ahead and updated all my seals to high quality SKF seals and then put on neoprene fork socks. I have to tell you that these stiff forks are an absolute must for snowbiking for me from now on. It helps everywhere... on the road, in the deep, on the packed snow.... keeping your front end up is a massive benefit to the handling characteristics of a snowbike.

Just make sure you call Cannon Racecraft and they will tell you exactly what to do.
I also installed some .64 springs in the open chamber forks yesterday, They feel awesome, raised the oil level as well which help slow the compression down .now looking at trying some stiff Ti springs

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Put in .58 in mine. 15minute swap out with forks on the bike.

spoke this morning with Canadian company , They are looking at building some stiff Ti springs , will know more tomorrow

L

Ledsled

Mar 3, 2010
Shaving the internals is a five minute job per side if your changing springs anyway. You can take the plastic spacers out and bench grind 1-2mm off per vane. Or you can do it without taking them out of the fork tubes with a hand grinder of even a sharp exacto on edge (whittle them). In any case not hard to do at all.

I dropped .62 springs in my 4CS's...huge difference.

Guys,

tillbuilt

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Henderson, Co.
Here at Rocky Mountain Snow MX (720-263-7533) we are trying to help our customers through this problem. We are buying all of the forks we can in the used market and teaming up with RG3 to set them up with snow bike specific valving and springs to rider weight and system set up. Give us a call today. We will take about 20 min. to consult with you on your setup and riding style. Then we can have a set built for you ASAP. $900-1200 depending what forks you choose. This is a full set of replacement forks. Keep your 4CS forks for the dirt and enjoy a custom snow set up built just for you and your machine.

Thank you for your snow MX business!!!

T

Texask5

Oct 3, 2015
Shaving the internals is a five minute job per side if your changing springs anyway. You can take the plastic spacers out and bench grind 1-2mm off per vane. Or you can do it without taking them out of the fork tubes with a hand grinder of even a sharp exacto on edge (whittle them). In any case not hard to do at all.

I dropped .62 springs in my 4CS's...huge difference.

Ill bet its hardly even 5 mins a side, put .60kg/mm in mine and the spring guide barely needs any materials removed compared to my KTM open cartridge forks with 6.0n/mm in them I just used a metal file and took a tiny of each of the 4 edges on the guide.

Premium Features