• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sleds for kids

S

sledless bdh

Nov 4, 2008
Hermiston, Oregon
Why does it seem most of you like a modified scoot or an indy lite for a kids sled? I have 4 kids, now they are ages 10, 13, 13 and 14. They all started on phazers. Honestly I am surprised I don't seem to ever see anything about phazers in here. Is it because there is a cc limit here?

They are so easy to find. Price is cheap compared to a scoot. So many parts are crazy available. Power to keep up on a trail. Easy to steer.

Just been curious........

Austin
7cfae4945dfa1ef4cb080bc16bf371dc.jpg
2de648f616198e9aa7b0e7302e20d40c.jpg

A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
There's lots of Phazer stuff for kids in past posts. I was headed that direction but found a nice 340 Ovation which is basically a mini Phazer. Thats a nice looking fleet of kids sleds you have there.

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Nothing against the Phazers......As already mentioned there are a few threads about them on this section if you search. I remember, as a kid, when I had my JD 440 Cyclone riding with some older guys that had brand new Phazers. Light, powerful engine & good suspension(relatively speaking for the day). I thought I'd have the world by the tail if I could've afforded one. :face-icon-small-win

I purchased an Indy Lite mostly because it was the right price at the right time. I also wanted a machine with a little more plush front suspension than leaf spring or pogo stick.

Regardless, the Phazer is certainly a contender! :yo:

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Still have my '84 Phazer from when I was a kid. Got it up and running for my son this year. In need of tlc (last time it was ridden was over 15 years ago). Going to make some custom boards and other odds and ends for him. Already been converted to 121, has a pipe, comet clutch, etc. Was a great runner in its day. While all of that is happening, he's riding a '94 Phazer II longtrack. Picked a matching pair for a grand. Like you said, they are every where and cheap. Great learning sleds. Wish good Bravo's were as easy to find. They are another great kid sled that often get overlooked. Like the color schemes on those sleds!

halvy25

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2010
Nebraska
My kids are learning on phazers as we speak. Great sleds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C
Nov 29, 2008
The older sleds are great starter sleds ... rework the seating and bar position so its a little more rider forward ... not so hard to do for smaller persons.

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
Kids sled

Went the ovation then phaser with both my sons.
My 6 year old grandd son started with 120 skidoo.
Great in the back yard but at the cabin too dam slow for road ride.
Phaser and ovation to big at that time.
So we went the snoscoot route .
Give the motor bike stance and easier to ride

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Searched for Bravo, ovation, Enticer, Indy lite, even 340 Cats but ended up with a RMK 550 all done up for just over a grand for the older boy 2 years ago. Now that he's turning 12, it's nice cause that sled will fit him until he's old enough to upgrade on his own! Lol. Glad I did, cause stretched out to 144x2 with Simmons skis and Gen 11 chassis, it's now more capable than any of the sleds listed above without putting some real work into them.

Searched another year for the same machines for my younger boy with none to be found. Living in AK at the time didn't help since pretty much every old fan cooled sled has been rode to death and left in the tundra to die, OR you pay $2k plus for a 25 year old machine with a flat track and rusted metal skis.
Ended up with a Doo Formula 380 for him. Big fat pig sled, but nearly indestructible and a good starting point for a kids sled. for $200 for tunnel and rail extensions and almost zero$ for Rev Dual Skeg skis and a Renegade track, narrowed up the stance, fixed the riding position a little (without junking the OE bars, seat and tank), it's a good riding little sled for him and the big tracks on both the kids sleds keep for digging out a bunch unless the snows real good!
Still Phazers rule. Spent my childhood wishing I had one of them instead of the "old" Cats I could afford!

R
Jun 14, 2008
Southern Idaho
I have to agree on starting on a Phazer . Started my granddaughter on a 1991 phazer 2 when she was 7 . Know she thinks grandpa can't go with out her. Just got back from Island Park and me and her are upgrading her sled to a 01 600 summit. Hope not jumping the gun by going bigger at this point but I know she can handle it:face-icon-small-hap. but will keep the phazer for the next granddaughter next year or two.

Premium Features