• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best stock sleds for 9, 13, 15 yo kids.

K

kbraman

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 5, 2011
Utah
We just bought a cabin and now it's time to figure out what kind of sleds to buy for our kids. Girl 15, girl 13, boy 9, girl 6. Our plan is to buy two. Our 13 year old daughter and 9 year old son will probably ride the most, so looking for the most appropriate STOCK sleds for them. We want fuel injected, electric start and reverse. We want newer sleds that won't need a lot of maintenance and will fire up each time the kids want to ride. We ride polaris, 09 800 rmk, and 13 600 pro rmk. But for the kids we simply want the best size for them, brand doesn't matter. They currently ride quads now, so they have some riding experience. Your opinion? Thanks!

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Not aware of fuel injection on anything smaller than a 600. In my book a 600 is off the table at that age.

Indy Lite would be my vote for a good starter.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The only EFI I am aware of less than a 600 is the 500 Mountain cat or the M5. I do not know if electric start and reverse was an option. Otherwise the Skidoo Renegade 550 would be a good choice. 550 fan cooled, 136 track, electric start and electronic reverse. light sled still available at least through 2013 model. The only downfall is they are carbed. Our groomer and trail maintenance staff have used that model for years with very little problems. Skidoo also has the renegade in the 600 ace 4 stroke which is fuel injected and I believe it can be programed for different performance levels for different age kids. Another option is the Yamaha Phazer Mountain 80hp 4 stroke.

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Skidoo Summit 550 fan would be a good choice. So would a Skidoo 300 or 550 freestyle.

They have reverse and are available with electric start...prices are reasonable looking at the 2004 to 2007 model years.

I speak from experience. My kids ride 300 freestyles (boy 9 and girl 11). Both are electric start and have very light throttle pull. My older kids (girl 21 and boy 23) rode 94 efi polaris 500 and 04 skidoo summit 600 as teens.

I personally think the skidoo rev chassis and freestyle chassis are a great platform for kids/teens because of PRICE/rider forward position/reverse and electric start option.

The 06-08 300 freestyles are great for preteen because of their light weight (370lbs) and cruise about 45mph. The 550 freestyle or summit or mxz is a little heavier but will give most early teen and young riders a bit more power, but won't kill them. The fact that both are air cooled keeps it simple...at least that's how I see it.

I'm not bias toward any brand. My wife and I ride Polaris Pro's and my 23 year old rides Skidoo XP 800 now. I try to figure out which sled is best for the model year I'm looking for and how it's going to be used...so far so good. I'm guessing that in 2-4 years, I will be looking at 2011-12 Polaris rmk's for my kids as they get into their teen years and by that time, the pricing will be down low enough on those models.

PART_1388980019950.jpeg PART_1388980020678.jpeg 2012-12-23_10-03-47_8.jpg

U

utah340six

Dec 4, 2008
kids sled

look at Yamaha phazer 4 stroke no oil to mess with.
stand up like stance.
electric start and reverse

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Give them your 600

I think you will be surprised at how well a 15 year old girl will do on a polaris pro 600, especially if you get the 144 track version. She is done growing, so you're basically just buying the same sled that you would buy for any full grown adult woman. I think your 13 year old may just fall into that same category as well.

9 year old boy is probably still a touch small for a full size 600, but i think your only choice for something lighter is one of those freestyles - I would only get the 300, wouldn't wasted my time on the 550. For your 6 year old girl? Well, my 5 year old boy is still happy on his 120 - although, he wouldn't be bugged if I dropped a 200 in it, that is for sure. But there is really nothing stock between a 120 and the freestyle 300.

C
Nov 29, 2008
But for the kids we simply want the best size for them, brand doesn't matter. They currently ride quads now, so they have some riding experience. Your opinion? Thanks!

Best size for the kids is likely the biggest factor - kids size / ability / maturity / etc. varies hugely. Biggest issue with sleds now is that tree isn't much in the way of starter / introductory sleds. I'm 45 and can remember when a 340 fan was a big sled and a 440 was a monster and yet we all had loads of fun on a 250. Not sure I can imagine starting out on a 600 lc ..... best to crawl, walk before you run. Even the new 4S 500 cc phazer can rip pretty good and would be quite dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced rider. Main thing is that the kids are having fun and are within their capabilities.

Maybe better to forget the FI for now and look at some decent used older "right" size sleds that you can buy and flip again in a year or two and not loose any money. Newer style 550 Indy sled might be worth a look too - capable but not too powerful plus it has the better seating position.

K

kbraman

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 5, 2011
Utah
Thanks

Thank you to all of you for your wisdom and guidance. I think we are set on finding two of the freestyle 300 sleds if we can find them. If anyone has any leads pm me. I've only found one in the northwest on craigslist but I'm sure there are others out there that will pop up before the snow flies.
Thanks again!

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
In July we made tentative plans with the family to drive from Utah to New York to pick up a Freestyle, it was also going to double as a vacation. I found a couple much closer in Colorado. They're a bit tuff to come by and go quick when they become available out west.

B

BearClaw

Dec 12, 2010
Riverton, Ut
Don't go with the Phazer they are tipsy. I got rid of mine because nobody wanted to ride it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
M6 is probably the most under rated sled. Awesome for kids or adults. Bought my 13 yo daughter one last year and couldn't be happier.

IMG_0593s.jpg

kakscat

Lifetime Membership
Aug 21, 2008
Great Falls
my son has been riding my dads 600 mountain cat for the last 2-3 years great sled to start out with and easy to start. He is now 13 years old and wanting more. The big question here is talking and teaching young kids the proper and safe use of a snowmobile. What works for one kid might not be the right sled for another.

07SummitX800R

Dec 2, 2007
Stansbury Park, Utah
I bought two Freestyles for my kids (300F and 550F) and they are perfect for them (age 8 and 11.) Both were bought in Utah/Idaho so they can be found out west, but they are definitely harder for sure.

K

kbraman

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 5, 2011
Utah

Is the 550 heavier by much? I saw a couple on craigslist last week but have been holding out for a 300. I read the 550's were very reliable bullet proof sleds. Only negative I found was that they were fuel guzzlers.

I may try and snag a 550 and a 300 if you are happy with yours.

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I wouldn't think that the 550 would be that much heavier. Trust me the little bit of extra power will be nice when the kids get stuck. I have a 7 year old that rides a 08 550 summit and they are a great little sled. My 11 year old rides a 600 etec summit, he was on the 550 when he was 8. Size and attitude make a huge difference in kids. Don't rule a 600 out if you think the kids can handle it.

SASKTOOLMAN

Premium Member
Dec 18, 2013
CANADA
My pic is off my 11yr old daughters '12 600 backcountry renegade. I made it pink for the wife, but she graduated to a 146" 800 summit. She had an easier time riding my 154" tmotion in the mountains than the backcountry being 100#s. Daughter had a 550f 121" she rode before. Daughter takes after dad in size, she actually bigger than her mom now. Attitude makes up everything. Shes a mindful rider, aware. More so now since a tree in Wyoming has pink paint on it. My struggle isnt for my 11yr old, its what do I do for my stunted 6yr old thats the size of a 4yr old. The mountain mod from fabcraft is ridiculously priced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features