• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

what are the problems with the 07 summit

J
Dec 26, 2011
I know the engine had a flaw and that they fixed it in 08 when they started replacing the bad engines but I also read some post about the clutches being problematic and also something about the track.

There is a good deal on a 07 with a brand new engine but would like to know if
I should worry about the clutch or track. The sled has 800 miles on it and a
151 track.

So, what is the problem with that clutch and what are the fixes (how much$$)

And what is wrong with the track on the 07. Is it different than the other years.

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
The issues with the 07s were the motor and primary clutch. If it has a new motor you are good in that area. That year doo switch clutch manufacturers and the bushing materials were sub par. I had roller, spring cap, puck, and sliding half problems. I had a old set of rollers lying around and got a new sliding half and didn't have any issues after that. I recently switched over to a tra 3 that I got cheap. The tra 3 is a much better clutch IMO. The x and xrs models had a challenger light track which wasn't the best. The adrenaline models had the powder max track which is night and day better. If you can't tell the two apart the cl track has ribs on the back side whereas the powder max has a traditional smooth paddle design. The 07 was a great sled once the kinks were ironed out. If you get one that is right at a good price I would recommend it!

J
Dec 26, 2011
is a tra 3 a clutch from an older model 05-06?

how much labor (hours) is involved in switching them?

what about rebuilding the 07 clutch with an aftermarket upgrade? how much
would that cost?

is a 151 track from another model easy to fit in there? how many hours labor?

Thanxs

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
The tra 3 was on the 03-06 doo's I believe. It would'nt take long to switch over, it only took me a couple minutes, however I did'nt take the ring gear and put it on my tra 3. If you switched ring gears over you would need the propper tap and it would add a half hour or so to your switch.

As for rebuilding the tra 7, there were updates for the clutching covered by doo. I would have to imagine the one your looking at has been done. If the clutch needs rebuilding can get pretty expensive. I would look for a good used tra 3 and those run anywhere from $300-$500.

As for the track, you could fit one from another model in there as long as it's a 2.52 pitch. I would recomend finding the powdermax 2.3 track to slide under. Like I said in the earlier post the one your looking at may have a powdermax already. Only the x and xrs models had that chitty challenger lite and a lot of guys with those models swapped them out. If your looking to up the performance and spend a little money you could switch to a challenger extreme 2.5, however you will need to change drivers which willl cost more in labor and parts.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The 07 TRA7 is a fine clutch when rebuilt with the updated parts. The excessive runout that existed on a lot of 07s was very hard on clutches and belts....once everything is "correct" that sled rocks!

Premium Features