• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which Aftermarket Suspension is best: K-Mod, Timbersled, EZ-Ride, TeamFast?

If you were going to change out the rear suspension, which would you buy??

• KMOD

Votes: 124 33.7%
  • Timbersled

Votes: 111 30.2%
  • EZ-Ryde

Votes: 62 16.8%
  • Team Fast

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • CR Racing

Votes: 27 7.3%
  • Racer's Edge

Votes: 23 6.3%
  • Nextech

Votes: 11 3.0%

• Total voters
Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
one down side with the M10s (or cr10s ) is they require a plate the stiffens the tunnel . its not a big deal but some thing to consider . I do have to agree that the assult air wave shock on the m10 are a waste of time ! I ve switched mine to a fox coil and a fox float up front , much better ! On my 174 nytro i run A CR10 and love it . ive had the chance to ride lots of skids on many diffrent sleds living in the mountains all winter . my choices would be any thing from racers edge , an CR10 or a 174 Fast m10 as its a solid axle set up much like the first two listed . that said i sure would like to try out another Kmod skid though . rode one on a m1200 that was set up so stiff it broke the rear mounting plates :face-icon-small-con. I'm looking to build a mpi super charged sled this fall too though and im looking for a new skid as well . i dont think a m10 is really the ticket for a sled under 250 hp sadlly though:face-icon-small-dis

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chris
I know that there is another thread on the new Series 2 but you have a photo of last years skid, here are a couple of the new one with what we have going on with the Yamaha skids for 2012.
Sorry I havnt updated the web site yet but were working on a different format and ordering page.
Thanks, Kevin

Thanks Kevin.
I went to your website and took the images that you had on display.
Will get them replaced with the new ones.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
From personal experience I have run a Timbersled, EZ Ryde and an M-10 all under T-Nytros. I have also rode a Timbersled under a couple of turbo Cats that my buddies have. In my opinion the best ALL AROUND skid is the EZ Ryde. The EZ Ryde is far better than any other skid I have tried, for boondocking, on a Nytro. I absolutely loved it. With a 250 or 300 rear spring it can handle the bigger guys no problem. The Timbersled was ok for bondocking but the sled felt top heavy and it was hard to hold the edge when carving around trees. There were many days where buddies on stock m1000's could not go through the trees with me and I was on a 174 Nytro. The beauty was in the power of the sled when turning up a steep hill after coming out of a tight tree turn that the EZ Ryde allowed you to make. If you are a chute climber it's not a skid you will want for super steep climbs.

The CR skid is basically Teamfast skid with a few changes in appearance. Teamfast has finally realized this and how much market is available out west and have created a 174 option for mountain riders. My M-10 runs the dual airwave (internal coil) shocks. I love them, much easier to adjust than a coil over in the middle of a cold day. The new front airwave shock is wider than previous editions. This creates a problem with running a traditional limited strap setup. The airwave is too big and the strap will not fit without rubbing on the bag. I created a dual, outside the rails, limiter strap set up and it works great and is much easier to adjust. I have a couple of other innovative designs for my skid but time will tell how they work, you won't have to get off the sled to make any adjustments. ; )

I would be interested in trying a KMOD on a T-Nytro. I have seen Stanger climb on his M1200 turbo with the KMOD and it is insane what that skid will do under that sled.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
the numbers on the poll have been really interesting to watch so far.
As of right now, Timbersled and KMOD are pretty much neck in neck, with all other companies way back in the pack.

I had absolutely no idea how well liked KMOD was, nor how many riders were using his skids. I think I might just have to take a short drive over to Firth and have a chat with Kevin about his products.

Timbersled has done a terrific job of getting their products out in front of sledders and has maintained a very high profile, but KMOD seems to be a bit more of a sleeper company....

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
This is a awesome topic I had no idea there was soo many differences between suspensions that almost all use 2 arms and a shock under each one. (except EZ ryde)

Love the unbiased just good flow of information with no bashing! Keep it coming boys loving it!

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I bought a Kmod last year for my Impulse Nytro.

Here is my take... If you are looking for something that will keep the ski's planted, yet still offers some SIMPLE adjustability...you can't go wrong with the Kmod.

I will admit that I struggled all year and still do with the rideability of the skid in boondocking type riding. I think it has too much ski pressure and sets the back end up too high. Good news is I think Kevin has realized this and made the changes necessary to make this go away. I think the current mounting location and some of the distances are off. I certainly will be getting mine dialed in to match the new specs. If this fixes the problem I'm 100% satisfied.

Kevin is a top notch guy who always took the time to work with me on and off the snow. This is good piece of mind when you drop that kind of coin on anything.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a Kmod. My only experience with the Timbersled is thru friends and both those sleds were wheelie machines. The stock skid can do that. They probably could have been remedied but I never saw that.

M10 is great for climbing anything, but probably not the best for a little of this a little of that.

I say give Kevin a call!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I know I am a AC guy but its summer and I'm board so here are some more thoughts about some of the responses.

The only skids I know are the TS, Kmod and stock so I can't say on the others.
Some things to think about, I never even heard of Kmod until the last few years but t-sled was around for a very long time, and has a lot of loyal followers. My experience of t-sled skids is that a well valved and setup AC skid will do more than the old t-sled skid, IMO don't burn me for saying that but I have proven it over and over, but the t-sled skids where not mine and the owners may not have set them up right so that might have been a problem. Kmods/Kevins customer service has been great, always returned my calls even answered the phone not during hours when I was just planning on leaving a message. I hear good things about t-sled but so far my experience with is frustrating, to say the least, I hope I am one of very few that they slacked on.

But the Old skid which many are referring to is now outdated with t-sled coming out with a completely new skid, untested by the average user so even if your considering getting one I would hold off for a bit and see what it brings, it seems to have some strong points but there are a few things I don't like and would have to see it work against a kmod before getting interested. We will just have to wait and see, but good for them for stepping it up. I would much rather have a reworked AC skid over the old t-sled skid, the only option here would be the new one.

With the KMOD (cheap package) I noticed it made my HCR feel a little more planted ( I could adjust it to do anything but with the cheaper setup I just left it in the middle for all around use most of the time) it felt a little harder to handle on slight slopes and flat ground but on the hill all I noticed was huge improvements in control and was easier to stay on the snow. I jumped on some other sleds here and there (TM8's) and the handling kinda seemed easier on the flat and slight hill sides but it didn't do near what the Kmod would. It is also very important you set it up right for your riding. With the cheaper kmod conversion it was slightly limited and have been assured with the full kit and raptors it is far better, but don't let that fool you about how much more capable it is over stock. The added height made it so I could sidehill a lot steeper hills keeping the running boards off the snow better (there are some that say a Cat wont sidehill as steep as a PRO rmk, maybe?? but I never had a problem). With that said I was sidehilling this summer in snow that there is no way I could have with a stock skid (the track would have been in the air) and once setup right and you get a feel for it, it is easier to control even though it somewhat feels planted at first. Its just a matter of knowing how to manipulate its handling characteristics.

One thing about it is some of these skids hold there value and you could flip it pretty easy if its not to your liking.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I can tell you that Kevin makes a high quality product as does Steve at EZ-Ride... and they stand behind what they make with excellent customer service as does Timbersled.

I'm a fan of the Timbersled and have not made that a secret.

I have had excellent results with the last 3 Mtn Tamers that I have had in my sleds... which will lead me to invest in a new one this season.

I make sure that the install is correct, keep it lubed, check it out before each ride... My stuff deliverd for me over the last few years due in large part to this.

The Timbersled gets my vote for the level of adjustability and the quality in craftsmanship. Time tested co-op with Fox and now with one of the industry leaders, EXIT from Z-Broz.

IT has the ability to keep the sled feeling playful but still under control with all the different terrain I encounter.

The Mtn.Tamer for me changed my sled from a trenching machine to one that simply popped up on top of the snow quickly... with no other change in the sled.

On a sidehill on the throttle, the Timbersled was compliant to the terrain and let me use less effort to maintain direction... not bucking me downhill.

On steep climbs, the nose was kept down very well without having to climb over the hood to do it... Sure I could set it up to wheelie... but that is not how I like to ride.

The new Timbersled will be under my my sled this year along with the new 154 x 15 x 2.5" x 2.86-pitch Peaks Track from Camoplast... both new... but both drawing on years of experience and development.

The new Timbersled is a refinement of the current design as I see it... not throwing out the baby with the bathwater with an unknown.

Mine is not on a Nitro.. but I think that the Nitro has been a big part of the order base for T-sled

Of the 4 New "Black" Nitros from SPG... 3 of them have the T-sled skid and that was what they used on their Black development Nitro last season.
Jeff at SPG is pretty picky and can put whatever he wants on his sleds... The fourth one gets the K-mod with the, new for this season, Raptor shocks... he wants to compare the performance in an objective way.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
mountainhorse,

I would really like to see you run the new t-sled skid and after you get it set the way you want then run a Kmod and get it set the way you want and hear your thoughts. You may be a little bias but it would be good info.

The part I get hung up over is that Amber Holt straight up could not get the t-sled (not the newest style skid) to do what was needed for her, you can read about it in one of her threads on SW. The Kmod made it all possible. So when you talk so highly of t-sled and basically said it would do all the stuff she was looking for it makes me curious. Maybe its the difference from a Cat to a Nytro, could be. Although I have to say both companies where outstanding working with Amber and is one reason I still have faith in t-sled to keep the pressure on as a good competitive company even though my dealing with them hasn't been the best.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have to admit, I have had a LONG conversation with Amber about that as well, and she is STAUNCHLY in the KMOD corner now for the above reasons and some others that have not been discussed.

Timbersled

Premium Member
Apr 22, 2008
Threads like this one are good for the industry. You guys are right it will keep all of us aftermarket manufacturers on our toes. It also keeps up the excitement for this type of product. One thing I must say about all these skids being talked about is that they are all going to be good systems because they are all built by guys that are truly passionate about this sport. I have also studied them all and have ridden most of them. They all have their strong points and are the best at something. None of them will be the best at everything. With our new skid we have done our best to make it as versatile and simple as possible. One of our main focuses is to build products that bolt into all the factory holes with no modifying of the factory sled. This makes them more consumer friendly and apply to more people.

Please feel free to ask questions about our new Mtn. Tamer design I will do my best to answer them all. Also there is a lot of info on our web site about it. www.timbersled.com

Allen

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Threads like this one are good for the industry. You guys are right it will keep all of us aftermarket manufactures on our toes.
Thanks for joining in on the conversation Allen.
The best thing that can happen for the SnoWest members is for the Manufacturers to JOIN IN on these discussions.
Making yourself available and part of the conversation only helps all those who are reading it!!

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I guess I neglected to take a look at the 2012 Timbersled. Woops. That looks very nice! If it works as designed that thing could be a real player. I just might have to try it out on my backup Nytro. Just from the looks of it...nice job Timbersled. Not to mention the Exit shocks...can't go wrong there!

One other thing I failed to mention about them in my previous post, is that they offer great service as well. I purchased a Barkbuster kit from them and they were GREAT to deal with.

Buy one of each and let them battle it out for you!:boxing:

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It would be pretty sweet to have TOW Nytros set up side by side, one with KMOD and one with Timbersled and be able to ride them back and forth to see the real differences in the suspensions.

Premium Features