• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

850 twin pipes

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Spaarky and DD.....

I’m more concerned with the fact that “twins” doesn’t establish gender of said twins....

neither of you clarified FEMALE twins....?

Sparky don't care. Twins is twins.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Slp replied to a question on there face book page about the hp of these twin pipes. They said double of what there single pipe would make. Slp axys 800 single pipe is 9hp. If the 850 single makes the same 9hp, the twins would be 18hp. If slp can get 18hp out of twin pipes for the 850 they would sell like hot cakes.

So that means with just pipes and clutching alone will be A SOLID 185HP?

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
So that means with just pipes and clutching alone will be A SOLID 185HP?
Ok on a serious note; I cannot believe for a second that twins will net twice that of a single. No way.

The whole story of tuned exhausts for 2-strokes goes against it. Sorry.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I suspect with most motors there's more to be gained from twin pipes than a single pipe. That's because you don't have the Y-pipe and exhaust from the other cylinder interfering. Twin/triple pipes tend to be more peaky and need more tuning though. I'd bet SLP is right about the 850 twin pipes making twice the HP of their single, but it'll probably be less of a plug-and-play.

Of course it depends on how good the stock pipe is too – for instance, SLP never made a single pipe for my old 600VES, and I've read that's because there was very little power to be gained over the stock pipe. I have to wonder these days if there's really as much power in aftermarket single pipes as is often claimed. Obviously it's possible to take a motor and tune it to the ragged edge with your parts and post those gains. Not saying that's what everyone's doing, but I have to wonder why the OEMs would leave 8-10 HP on the table year after year. Weight differences are another story, obviously.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Ok on a serious note; I cannot believe for a second that twins will net twice that of a single. No way.

The whole story of tuned exhausts for 2-strokes goes against it. Sorry.

Sent fra min S60 via Tapatalk

This chart shows the old 800bb twin pipes hp was approx. double that of their single over stock.

Not sure how accurate it is though.

6ceabda5cfa59fac8c466250e431123a.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ProRide800155

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
I suspect with most motors there's more to be gained from twin pipes than a single pipe. That's because you don't have the Y-pipe and exhaust from the other cylinder interfering. Twin/triple pipes tend to be more peaky and need more tuning though. I'd bet SLP is right about the 850 twin pipes making twice the HP of their single, but it'll probably be less of a plug-and-play.

Of course it depends on how good the stock pipe is too – for instance, SLP never made a single pipe for my old 600VES, and I've read that's because there was very little power to be gained over the stock pipe. I have to wonder these days if there's really as much power in aftermarket single pipes as is often claimed. Obviously it's possible to take a motor and tune it to the ragged edge with your parts and post those gains. Not saying that's what everyone's doing, but I have to wonder why the OEMs would leave 8-10 HP on the table year after year. Weight differences are another story, obviously.

Biggest reason po or any manufacturer leaves hp on the table is usually meeting epa requirements. aftermarket does not have to meet any set rules & regulations

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
"SLP twins Q&A

Q-Price?
A-We aren't at the point in development where we can announce prices, we will keep everyone updated as we progress.

Q- What kind of power gains are you seeing?
A-We are very pleased with the gains we are seeing but testing and development aren't done at this point in time, we will keep everyone informed as development progresses. We are confident that the twin pipes will at least double the horsepower that we have been seeing in our single pipe sets.

Q-Video
A-No videos at the moment but we have lots of videos planned for this winter to show off the awesome products we have!

Q-What about twin pipes for the 800?
A-We feel our 800 stage kits, especially stages 3 & 4 are at a very high level of performance for dollars spent, and we don't believe that we will gain more performance with 800 twin pipes than we have with the stage kits.

Sounds like some fueling changes will be necessary."

Last edited:

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Biggest reason po or any manufacturer leaves hp on the table is usually meeting epa requirements. aftermarket does not have to meet any set rules & regulations

Ok, well that makes more sense then. I do wonder what EPA requirement makes them have to stuff it down that much, but if anyone can dream up a buzzkill, it's them...

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Aaen made (still?) a pipe for your 600 VES beartooth, and many raved about it here back in the day, just a side note for ya.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Aaen made (still?) a pipe for your 600 VES beartooth, and many raved about it here back in the day, just a side note for ya.

Thanks for pointing it out, I was actually reading about that setup just now. They still list it on their website, FWIW. I could only find a couple actual reports, and none indicated a noticeable power gain, but the weight savings is significant. They give 112HP for a stock 600 VES, but some say that number is low. So maybe their claim of 122 is accurate, but the gains aren't as big. I would like to try the SLP twins. They claim 10HP, and that may actually be conservative. I even read of 20+ with porting. Only trouble is, I'm not sure I could live with the noise. I used to run their can, but was too loud for me (older, noisier tech than their newer cans); also, I measured just under 5 lbs weight difference, where they claim 8.

Anyway, getting back to the 850, I wouldn't plan on a quiet riot there either. Was just looking at the description in their flier: it'll have glasspack silencers, and they describe it as a competition series product. Hopefully it's not one of those love to hate products – big power and even bigger noise. Hard telling until they release it, of course.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
This is an old song and I don't see much that has changed to effect the pipes part in it. Power from an 800cc twin is not better than it has been, and it seems they will still top out at around 175Hp with porting, head and single pipe. Some more on top with twins, but at the cost of response, sensitivity to temp/altitude and width of powerband.

One pipe per cylinder is a paperbook ideal, ever since Walter Kaden discovered the use of pressure pulses in 2-stroke exhausts in 1954. But a single has an advantage in two-cylinder engines; the two pistons hav 180degree oposite phases, leaving only the physical design of the Y-pipe as a "fault" in the harnessing of pressure waves. The oposite cylinder is closed by its piston when the first cylinder does its thing together with the pipe and vice versa.

What both cylinders gain from this is a much more stable pressure and temp in the pipe, making conditions for sound wave speeds stable.
On a triple, the gains in pressure pulse efficiency will be great when going from one to three, netting good Power gains. But they also had a tough time maintaining a sweet middlepoint on pipe-temps/pressure.

About leaving Hp on the table.. the OMEs knows more about making power than most of us will ever realise. Count on it. But they need to balanse power with EPA demands, like mentioned, and a wide enough power band/stable power (weather/altitude conditions, rider weight, soft/heavy snow) that stays ON the power with minimum clutching changes.
And of course; idiot-proofing that power.. so that the people whos idea of warm-up is the time it takes to put on gloves and helmet can still be a part of their customer base..

Holy testicle-tuesday!! That was a long one, and stuff I've not typed about in ten years on Snowest.. memory lane right there.

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
ever since Walter Kaden discovered the use of pressure pulses in 2-stroke exhausts in 1954. .. memory lane right there.

Wow... Walter Kaden.... memory lane for me too. I worked for the resurrected MZ factory in Zschopau, Germany in 2010-11 racing Moto2 in the Motogp championship. The two strokes were long gone but the ghosts of Kaden and Degner were still wondering that factory...

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
This is an old song and I don't see much that has changed to effect the pipes part in it. Power from an 800cc twin is not better than it has been, and it seems they will still top out at around 175Hp with porting, head and single pipe. Some more on top with twins, but at the cost of response, sensitivity to temp/altitude and width of powerband.

One pipe per cylinder is a paperbook ideal, ever since Walter Kaden discovered the use of pressure pulses in 2-stroke exhausts in 1954. But a single has an advantage in two-cylinder engines; the two pistons hav 180degree oposite phases, leaving only the physical design of the Y-pipe as a "fault" in the harnessing of pressure waves. The oposite cylinder is closed by its piston when the first cylinder does its thing together with the pipe and vice versa.

What both cylinders gain from this is a much more stable pressure and temp in the pipe, making conditions for sound wave speeds stable.
On a triple, the gains in pressure pulse efficiency will be great when going from one to three, netting good Power gains. But they also had a tough time maintaining a sweet middlepoint on pipe-temps/pressure.

About leaving Hp on the table.. the OMEs knows more about making power than most of us will ever realise. Count on it. But they need to balanse power with EPA demands, like mentioned, and a wide enough power band/stable power (weather/altitude conditions, rider weight, soft/heavy snow) that stays ON the power with minimum clutching changes.
And of course; idiot-proofing that power.. so that the people whos idea of warm-up is the time it takes to put on gloves and helmet can still be a part of their customer base..

Holy testicle-tuesday!! That was a long one, and stuff I've not typed about in ten years on Snowest.. memory lane right there.

That's some pretty good insight. Heat in the pipe is a big player, depending on riding style – I wasn't thinking about that. I've never owned a triple, but the it's pretty easy to see how independent pipes make a much bigger difference than on a twin: the return pulse to the closing cylinder has to deal with two extra branches, plus the opening exhaust on one of the other cylinders. I've heard 20% gains are typical going from a 3-1 to a 3-3. I wonder what the theoretical gain on a 2-2 is. 5, 6% at most? Given the engine is tuned for the same RPM and EGTs, of course. I can see where the power gains may not justify the weight (ideal weight, not vs stock) and heat sensitivity of twin pipes.

With regard to margins for durability/longevity, I'd think there'd be more margin built into the fuel mixture and ignition timing than the exhaust, but I could see the pipe being set up to drop off quickly above peak RPM to help prevent over-revving. Of course there's the possibility that the internals don't have much margin and they're de-tuning for that. Trouble is, you'd think then that turbo setups would eat motors left and right, but it doesn't seem that bad. I don't know, I don't have all the answers; I just love wrenching on and talking shop on motors. You'll know I've hit it big when I have my own machine/fab shop and am making my own parts!

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
Should be gains similar to those seen with stage 4 kit on the 800HO.
It will be a bolt on kit with a reflash of some kind (bullydog or what not). The advantage is you dont have to do heads, etc... the disadvantage is you have to put the ypipe back on if you take it in for warranty.

Ive known the SLP guys a long time and they are pretty excited about the opportunities the new patriot motor is providing. Same with the turbo companies. Cool tech like the new exhaust valves paired up with beefy crank and PTO bearing gives aftermarket companies lots of possibilities to milk every last pony out of the motor.

Lets hope for a short cold fall with an early start to winter so they can get real world testing done and get these things out before christmas!! My name is on the list to get some.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Super interested in the twin pipes but the potential noise factor is obviously a concern?!?!?

What's everyone else's thoughts ???

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Super interested in the twin pipes but the potential noise factor is obviously a concern?!?!?

What's everyone else's thoughts ???

Here is the email response that I got from SLP.

Hello,

The 850 has a little more space to fit twins so the project made sense.

R&D has not released weight and power details yet so that will be coming. Same for temp sensor. Those guys are so good at what they do I am sure it will all be impressive.

I would expect the price to be in the ball park to what we sold twins for in the past. The last twins we sold were about 950.00. We won’t have an exact until we do the first production run.

Pre-orders are coming in like crazy since the word got out and yes, they will be limited production. Once they are sold no more will be made this year.

The silencers are a new design and are a little quieter than the old race pipes.

Thanks

Starting Line Products

Technical Service Department

743 E Iona Rd

Idaho Falls, Idaho 83401

208-529-0244

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
If they are too loud, get NPP to make you some quieter cans like i did. :)

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Premium Features