• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help Phazers Down

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
I did not put the aftermarket carbs on the old motor because of the cables to the oil pump. Still have not figured out how to get the oil pump set up with new cables. A couple rides with the 1985 motor show a very lean mid-range so a little shot of choke got me thru the day. Idle and top end seem to run very well. Looks like I need to get new main jets that are +10 over the ones I have and ditch the gutted air box(probably most of my problem). We are putting the second spare in the other sled now. Just a bender pipe on this one for upgrades.

For single pipe change the primary nozzle to part no. 80L 14489-00-00. This nozzle has a
thru hole which allows the nozzle to draw more fuel to enrich the midrange operation
of the carb. With a pipe it needs more fuel in the midrange or lean seizures result. Voice of experience here!

Attachments

• Primary nozzle mod.jpg
    Primary nozzle mod.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

K3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2010
Portland,Oregon
I did not put the aftermarket carbs on the old motor because of the cables to the oil pump. Still have not figured out how to get the oil pump set up with new cables. A couple rides with the 1985 motor show a very lean mid-range so a little shot of choke got me thru the day. Idle and top end seem to run very well. Looks like I need to get new main jets that are +10 over the ones I have and ditch the gutted air box(probably most of my problem). We are putting the second spare in the other sled now. Just a bender pipe on this one for upgrades.

Do you know if the after market carbs are flat side (slide) carbs ??? They are a bigger ckoke plunger on top of each carb ?? About the only difference 1 ckoke lever cable into 2 carb plunger cables just like stock set up !!! Been wanting to try this for awhile on 1 of many phazers especially 1 super mod as told it is the way to go just hate to blow it up now ??? Thanx KK:

Premium Features