• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking to buy hand held video camera.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Wanting a hand held camera to video my buddies and let them video me. I will be clear, I want to spend less than 500 bucks, im a poor college kid (not really, but I don't need anything super fancy). I would like hd as well. I just want something that is going to take decent video and be durable. Im guessing the internal memory cameras are the way to go. Should I look for used or stick with new? Do you need a eye finder for those bright days? Also how do you guys pack your cameras so they don't get wet and damaged. How is battery life? I know I leave myself with few options but I bet there is a decent camera out there.

Any of these good? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...rp=15&usc=abcat0400000&sc=abCameraCamcorderSP

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
also, look into sony's small handheld camcorders, they are increidbly small and take great video. Also can't go wrong with Canon, great quality. I would maybe go to a store bestbuy/any camera store, find a small canon that shoots 1080p, and then search online for the best price.

FYI, I had a bigger cannon (vixia hf s200), shot incredible video, sold it as im getting out of video.

Friend had a cheaper smaller sony, still shot incredible video...

get an aftermarket larger battery for whatever you buy off amazon, battery will probably be 3 times larger than the stock one, and cost 1/4 the price...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Wanting a hand held camera to video my buddies and let them video me.
Just want to be sure, your goal is for a STATIONARY camera.
One that you will only use when you are stopped and holding it with your hands or on a Tri-pod.

Right?

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Yes sir! Hoping to store it in a handlebar bag to be able to stop and video someone else or hand it over to someone else so they can video me.

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
Yes sir! Hoping to store it in a handlebar bag to be able to stop and video someone else or hand it over to someone else so they can video me.

Wouldnt use a handlebar bag. I used that idea once and cracked a lens on a digital camera. Even WITH THICK foam liners. I pack cameras (both photo and video) all day every time. I either wrap it in heavy cloth (like a hoody) and put it in my backpack, or I have a tunnel mount bag it goes in. (same theory, wrap it in a BIG/THICK hoody/beanie or something similiar and make sure there is no slop in your bag. I have extra gloves, a tool kit, etc that takes up the extra space so the camera rides nice and tight. Have been doing it this way for 4 seasons now with no issues.

shelbwyo

Lifetime Membership
Jun 29, 2010
Sheridan, Wyo
Thanks for the reply! I was thinking of using a dry sack or zip loc bag to keep it dry and put it in my backpack. I think im going to be getting a sony handycam for Christmas. They had them 150 dollars off at best buy on black Friday. Should I invest in an additional battery to bring?

Premium Features