• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Winter Games

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Well I know Spirit Lake as a city has a ATV/UTV ordinance that goes into affect during the winter months. Follow this link to a brief description on it and it has a reference as where to find more information on the topic.

http://www.cityofspiritlake.org/pdfs/newsPDFs/Snowmobiles ATVs.docx

At this rate I'll for sure be around that weekend however will I have the sled there.. probably not :face-icon-small-con have to see how the weather comes/goes I'll be up there tomorrow mid-afternoon I'll let you know how the situation all looks. I do however know that last weekend people were driving trucks/trailers on the ice in the bays.

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Well I know Spirit Lake as a city has a ATV/UTV ordinance that goes into affect during the winter months. Follow this link to a brief description on it and it has a reference as where to find more information on the topic.

http://www.cityofspiritlake.org/pdfs/newsPDFs/Snowmobiles ATVs.docx

At this rate I'll for sure be around that weekend however will I have the sled there.. probably not :face-icon-small-con have to see how the weather comes/goes I'll be up there tomorrow mid-afternoon I'll let you know how the situation all looks. I do however know that last weekend people were driving trucks/trailers on the ice in the bays.

Hey, guessing most of the snow is gone up there but the ice should be good, supposed to be below zero this weekend. Anyone still planning on going? I can't decide, would rather go west if they would just get some more snow!!

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
Hey, guessing most of the snow is gone up there but the ice should be good, supposed to be below zero this weekend. Anyone still planning on going? I can't decide, would rather go west if they would just get some more snow!!

I talked to somebody today and they had a meeting on it and posted a bulletin regarding out of state people and permits/required insurance. I am confident that it will be on the ice I think last year when I talked to a couple DNR buddies the ice depth they shoot for is 18 inches and I'm sure it'll make that haven't been on the lake yet but people have been driving around the bays. As far as snow.. not sure we know what that is anymore, where it had drifted at one point in the ditches and the groomer had gone over it may have a slight pack couple inches at most with bare spots periodically...All I have for now though any other questions pm me or reply here and I'll check it often, I'm off to Des Moines to work at the boat show this weekend! :sorry:

U

ultra51684

Jan 26, 2010
Orange city IA
Well.... If I can't ride the sled I prolly won't go. Snow is low and ice is hard on 2" paddle. It's just looking like another bust this year. I would love to get my drink on but I need something to booze cruise one. Ice is just over 12" according to dnr. It could easy be on the ice. Moonshiner, maybe you know where we could snag a couple of rangers..... Maybe a terex? Mike is in Mexico right? Lets take them!

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
another rhino year in the making, not the same as sleds though:face-icon-small-fro

U

ultra51684

Jan 26, 2010
Orange city IA
Just went up there tonight. Not sure how much ice was gained today with the cold weather but he got an inch of snow one Sunday. Not much, but some. I would say if your coming up to take something with wheels not skis unless we get something else this week. My guess is it will be on the ice but you might have to park on shore.

U

ultra51684

Jan 26, 2010
Orange city IA
Well... I am up at the lakes right now and just went down to the bay. Ice is looking very good. Nice clear ice, some ice shacks out there and people have been driving on it. I would give it 95% chance it will be on the ice. Snow sucks however! No trails have enough snow to ride and nothing on the ice. Looks like the wind blew it to the edges for the most part. They are starting to bring in trailers and setting up the edges of the bay. I will take a pic before I leave and post it.

U

ultra51684

Jan 26, 2010
Orange city IA
Here's a link to the smiths bay webcam where the games are held. Just had a report the ice is 20-24" thick. I'm going up with moonshiners brother and brining the toy hauler so look for the red Chevy Dually and a white and green 5th wheel toy hauler with a generator in the back. Stop by and say hi if you want! Party :devil:

http://www.okoboji.com/live/

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Here's a link to the smiths bay webcam where the games are held. Just had a report the ice is 20-24" thick. I'm going up with moonshiners brother and brining the toy hauler so look for the red Chevy Dually and a white and green 5th wheel toy hauler with a generator in the back. Stop by and say hi if you want! Party :devil:

http://www.okoboji.com/live/

Have fun up there, I wanted to come up but decided to save my weekends away to hopefully go west, if they ever get any snow!

Premium Features