• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do I need a beacon?

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Snowmobiling is like any other sport the initial start up costs are high, but they are all worth it.

But with sledding you just keep spending, and spending, and spending:face-icon-small-ton!

Back on topic..
Another great read, with a little more to it than "Snow Sense", but by the same authors, "Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain". I reread this book at least once a year, and refer back to it frequently.

And yes, buy a beacon, shovel, and probe. Don't just get the beacon... Then practice. Make it a game or something. Read somewhere that you can use a nerf football, cut it open, stuff a beacon inside (with it on), tape it shut, throw it downhill in the woods, and find it as fast as you can with another beacon. Makes it possible to practice alone, or you can take turns with someone throwing/searching.

I'll ride alone once in a blue moon, for about an hour, on a trail or in a meadow out of reach of avy terrain (need to know the area well to do this, even so, not too wise), to test/tune my sled. And as said in the last post, it isn't very fun, but no one likes to spend an hour at the beginning of a ride so one guy can try to dial in his sled. That was my morning today.
Actually was very frustrated, watched a lone skier skin to the top of a prominent avy mtn, and slowly ski down. I snowboarded there 4 days ago and the snowpack was starting to grow weak (depth hoar at the ground, surface hoar on top, its a N aspect). Now we have a fresh 6", but the whole bowl was cross loaded (very obviously from my distance) so its probably much deeper. I couldn't believe he skied it alone. So I watched in case it did slide (wore my beacon and carried my gear despite having absolutely no intention of sledding on the steep stuff, for this very reason).

Anyway... Start reading, sign up for a class, get to know your sled, figure out which gear you want/need (I recommend Voile T6 Telepro for a shovel, its tough!), and enjoy.

4GR8X

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Star, ID
So, I'm about to begin my first season snowmobiling. I'm 31 and pretty much a total newbie. I live in Idaho and know that there are a gazillion places where there's avalanche risk. I'm not sure if I'll be riding them though. At this point, I know I will be using my sled on trails to get out and enjoy the scenery. I'm not much of a risk taker and have no real desire to skirt death on a regular basis. Is avy risk unavoidable? Is avoiding it no fun?

So, how necessary is it to have a beacon? And if so, I hear you have to have two of the same since not all of them are compatible.

If I do decide to get 1 or 2, a buddy can get me a deal on some $350 units from mammut for half price. I like deals but would my $$$ be better spent on a good gps?

Fire away, I'm ready to be educated.

Thanks!

Welcome to the sport of Snowmobiling!

Unavoidable yes, we have some groomed trails that cross avalanche shoots. Some groomed trails have posted warning signs on both side of the avalanche zone to warn riders.

Beacons share a common frequency, beacons with matching manufacture name plate are not necessary.

Consider verifying pricing as the snowmobile dealers in the Treasure Valley, typically sell beacons at cost. At least when I purchased mine that was the case. If you do go this route consider a back pack, shovel & probe ask the dealer if they will give you a package deal...the worse they can say is no.

The Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation sponsor avalanche training classes. Check out the link below.
http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/recreation/snowmobileeducation.aspx
The revenue generated from the snowmobile license plate for vehicles assist in funding the avalanche education program.

Craig.

G
Aug 25, 2008
Boise, Idaho
I will make you a deal on the whole set up. I am getting out of riding and have the back pack shovel combo, probe and tracker beacon I would be willing to sell. You will need all of these if you haven't gotten them all ready. I am in Boise also. Grant 573-9969

Premium Features