• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beacon for a fourteen year old?

B
Dec 21, 2007
Kalispell, MT
DISTANCE

For what its worth. I took part in a 3 day level 1 AIARE course this past weekend. When going through beacon checks at the start of the first field day, we did a distance check on the beacons that were brought....the first signal spike was from a ortovox 3+ at 58 meters....the ortovox s1 was next at 56 meters both with a lock on the signal at 52 meters....the analog ortovox was next at what it said was 56 prolly more like 48...the multiple tracker 2's in the group all picked up signal around the 46-47 meter mark....the tracker one didnt pick up a signal untill 18 meters (actual) away and it said 25....now there is for sure variance from unit to unit as damage can occur to the units from dropping them etc, but consistancy is key in my book and the ortovox out performed the tracker(s) in every way shape and form....for me its the 3+ all the way, and i own an S1.

Premium Features