• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Exhaust valve cleaning?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Polaris claims you don't need it near as often. But make sure you don't disconnect the valves as they are electronically controlled. You have to take them in to a dealer to get the timing adjusted.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I have took my valves out twice to clean and never had it to dealer to relearn. And no problem at all.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Polaris claims you don't need it near as often. But make sure you don't disconnect the valves as they are electronically controlled. You have to take them in to a dealer to get the timing adjusted.

If you remove the cable from the servo actuator and leave the cable attached to the tie bar when you remove valves, you will not have to perform a relearn. Make sure the MAG side and PTO side components stay on the proper side the second valves are not fixed to the assembly they are only held on with spring tension.

To the OP-- they do require cleaning periodically. Most of ours get done at 500-800 miles intervals. The rubber gaskets are reusable-- unlike the paper gaskets of old.

Snowbird11

Lifetime Membership
May 29, 2011
SLC/Samak, Ut
I am guessing you all are using poo-gold?? if not what are you using?

That was my question too, specifically to Indy 500. Regular dino oils seem to gum faster but I haven't had much issue with the legend stuff. Honestly the poo gold wasn't horrible at gumming but it wasn't great either.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Using VES Gold from day one and they were way gummy- second time I have had to clean them ( 1,000 Miles)
I just pull the lower steering post and they have ample room to come out as a unit- and disconnect nothing.. and get them quite clean.

AXYS Exhaust valves.jpg

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Seems to depend on the riding style. True mountain riding and they seem to stay clean enough....must get burned off/cleaned more frequently with the extended periods of high throttle/load.

I also feel like the internet puts too much weight in to exhaust valve cleaning....they are just kind of a dirty looking thing in general (nature of the beast)....I have never seen any gains after cleaning one, despite reading about that on here for years. But that's just one man's opinion

Golanda

Lifetime Membership
Aug 18, 2015
Bozeman Mt & Pinedale WY
Thanks for the information. Step by step on pulling them for cleaning would be beneficial.

I have not seen performance gains necessary, I just noticed them not opening at the right time (performance degradation - delay/ hesitation). After cleaning, the RPMs would come up correctly. That was the liberty engine not the new CF with the electrically actuated valves.

Killer Time Racing

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2008
Lower Michigan
There is way to much hype in Preventive Maintenance ???

Seems like the best way to not get on here and Put "It won't pull RPM "

Then a whole list of of did you Change Motor mounts and Torque Limiter ?? Exhaust Valve Cable ?? Both of which cost $115 for parts and a half hour of Change out !! New Belt ?? Deflection set ? Clutch Healthy ?? Gas Quality ?? Outside Temperature?? Elevation ?? Then it all comes back to the gummed up Exhaust Valves and you spent a week trying to find it ..

Guess I'll clean them !!

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Both Polaris dealers in my area told me they are self cleaning. I'm not sure myself.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
''Both Polaris dealers in my area told me they are self cleaning. I'm not sure myself.''

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha:jaw:

not laughing at you snowman ! just the dealers :face-icon-small-dis

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I clean mine every 500 miles, they usually have quite a bit of carbon on them. Probably doesn't hurt anything but id rather have them clean for piece of mind.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
''Both Polaris dealers in my area told me they are self cleaning. I'm not sure myself.''

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha:jaw:

not laughing at you snowman ! just the dealers :face-icon-small-dis
Right! I kinda thought the same thing. I don't understand how they can't get dirty. My 15 800 I cleaned those and they definitely needed it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I wish I would have taken a picture of the dirty valves.In the pic those were the best we came across prior to a good scrubbing
"Mountain riding" full pin most of the day so we are generally full on/off the flipper... working the crapola out of the fluctuation of the valves.

There is a scraper that runs across 1/2 the valve that is supposed to be the "self cleaning" sales hype .. Pulling on them does nothing to let you know if they are clean--- The springs alone get caked pretty bad with residue and don't like the extra weight of the oil hanging on them either.

For the time it takes to clean them , with the annual PRE-Maintance.. its a cake walk.. but then again- fully greasing the suspension on the shafts that don't have zerks that do move..( Mountain Hourse has a GREAT write up on this on the forum) some just don't like to take the time....

And.....Thats ok too... keeps me in business....

Last edited:
Premium Features