• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MPI releases E-Tec 850 Turbo (NOW SHIPPING)

gilestyle1

Lifetime Membership
Aug 24, 2013
heber, utah
Sounds like the type of kit you can take off in a couple hours and switch the sled back to stock when it needs some warranty work done:face-icon-small-hap who needs factory warranty turbos when its so easy to take off?:face-icon-small-win

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Chris you will love the 2 stroke world if you love the backcountry. I've seen some mean 4 strokes and I'm telling you that the world of nimble is about to be at your hands. Enjoy! Stoked for the future of this industry sorry off topic. I see mpi contracting w doo and making this work. They did it w Yamaha. How well and reliable where they with them?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Its a funny thing.
MPI hooked up TIGHTLY with Yamaha on turbos for several years.
And when everyone said Yamaha would NEVER offer a factory turbo, suddenly they did. And now we have the Sidewinder.

Now MPI is hooking up with Ski-Doo. (who would have thunk it)
And dang it, everyone is telling me there will NEVER BE A FACTORY 2-Stroke Turbo.

Hmmm

Wonder what we will see in a few years.....:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Hey ... anything is possible... but an EPA certified 2 stroke sled with an expansion pipe, turbo and speed-density controls... Hmm... thats a whole new set of challenges that you just don't have on a 4-stroke.

Closed loop 2 stroke...
I'm sure it possible, but do the $numbers make sense for this market to develop that kind of tech?

If they did nail a Factory turbo 2 stroke... well, that would be cool... for now..call me Thomas.

Regardless... Max, nice job by you and the MPI crew!!

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Honestly.
Right now I can't tell you.
BUT.
I am going to install this bad boy on one of my 850s and do a full write up.

I have had the pleasure of running an MPI Supercharger and Turbo on two of my Yamahas and LOVED them!

Give me a few months and some snow and I WILL report back on my thoughts of Boosted 4 stroke vs. Boosted 2 Stroke.

Don't let that monkey anywhere near your Doo..... :face-icon-small-win

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Apparently you need to wear jeans while riding it.

Probably the most hillbilly brochure I've ever seen.

a8f6c199dd1e59de8ca6487cb962b256.jpg

06acb28a77d93edd5596d650dd8a0872.jpg

Wonder if "all conditions" means all elevations?

Also am curious on the mention of meeting EPA certification? Why? No other aftermarket manufacturer does this...unless someone requires this at OEM level

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chris you will love the 2 stroke world if you love the backcountry. I've seen some mean 4 strokes and I'm telling you that the world of nimble is about to be at your hands. Enjoy! Stoked for the future of this industry sorry off topic. I see mpi contracting w doo and making this work. They did it w Yamaha. How well and reliable where they with them?

I am VERY excited to open up a whole new world of sledding this season!!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Christopher, how many two stroke miles have you ridden on a snowmobile?

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
turbo selection

It would be interesting to here the rational behind utilizing a journal bearing turbo. It seams as though most 2 stroke kit manufacturers have moved on to ball bearing turbos.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
It would be interesting to here the rational behind utilizing a journal bearing turbo. It seams as though most 2 stroke kit manufacturers have moved on to ball bearing turbos.
Maybe we can get MPI to jump in and offer us some insight?

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
SHR is in communication with MPI to be a dealer/installer/tuner for the midwest...

who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks-BJ:face-icon-small-coo

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Old dogs that can learn new tricks are a rare and valuable breed indeed...

IMHO, this is the "mix" that is sorely missing in the sled world... when you finally have enough experience... you get burnt out on pushing the envelope... and then that is left to a whole new tribe to learn from ground zero..

I see it in most motorsports from hot rods to boats to sleds.

Good on you John!!
I hope you and Max can develop a solid working relationship!

Premium Features