• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GPS / Radio Alternatives

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
(Cross-posting this in hopes of a little more action)
I’m looking for a tool that will help my wife and I keep tabs on each other, communicate, and navigate while in the backcountry.

Ive been looking into purchasing a couple Rino’s or inReach’s but there has to be something more convenient. Honestly, the maps and screen of a GPS leave much to be desired, and I don’t want to keep packing more things with me. I already use the Avenza PDF maps app on my iPhone for GPS purposes, which works great. I figure if I can add the communication and location sharing features of the Garmin, it’d be exactly what I need, all while using one device!

With some quick internet research I came across a couple options:

1) goTenna https://www.gotenna.com

2) Beartooth
https://www.beartooth.com

The biggest difference appears to be that the Beartooth offers push-to-talk and charging capabilities. Downside = still in “kickstart” stage. The other big plus to both of these products is the price tag!

Does anyone have experience with these, or other suggestions?

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
Sena offers bluetooth communications (good for short range, 100 yards max our experience and line of sight)... their systems work pretty well) this is voice communication.

They now have a system the connects to your 2-way radio thus giving substantially more miles of connectivity. We use Sena bluetooth on our motorcycles because we are usually within range but have not used them on the snowmobiles. Have not tried the SR10 device. Some media reports were favorable..

https://www.sena.com/product/sr10/

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Hopefully they will continue to improve the Beartooth. If they are only getting about 3 miles in line of sight would probably be pretty useless in the mountains. Most of the area where we normally ride has no cell service so handhelds are the only way to communicate.

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
That review was a good read! Glad I didn’t blindly buy a pair. I’m hoping not to be a guinea pig for something as important as navigation and communication but I’m still hopeful there may be other options out there. Then again, maybe it’s just not ironed out yet!

Something that i really like about the Rino is the ability to see others’ location. It’s typically my wife and I riding together, so it’d be nice to keep tabs on each other.

V
Nov 27, 2008
North Bend, WA
I use the Sena SR10. Range is pretty limited, but it is very convenient to be able to chat in the helmet without having to constantly push a mic button. They are the best if we're setting up for a picture/video, or I have to check out an area before I give my wife the all clear.

If you feel like listening to some tunes you can do that too!

They are definitely not an emergency tool to help find someone separated from the pack. Line of sight, I get a couple hundred yards.

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
My wife and I each have a Garmin Rino 755T. I've been using the Rinos since they first came out. The fact that I can poll her location, or anyone else that uses a Rino, from over 5 miles away, and then ride right to that location, alone makes this worth it to me.

We downloaded free 24K topo basemaps for Idaho, Oregon and Wyoming from GPSDepot, which work great on these units. Less detailed basemaps are available for the older Rinos. Keep in mind though, no piece of technology can replace a compass and a map when the batteries go dead or it stops working.

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
My wife and I each have a Garmin Rino 755T. I've been using the Rinos since they first came out. The fact that I can poll her location, or anyone else that uses a Rino, from over 5 miles away, and then ride right to that location, alone makes this worth it to me.

We downloaded free 24K topo basemaps for Idaho, Oregon and Wyoming from GPSDepot, which work great on these units. Less detailed basemaps are available for the older Rinos. Keep in mind though, no piece of technology can replace a compass and a map when the batteries go dead or it stops working.

I agree with you on the location polling feature of the Rino. For me personally, I feel like it would be more useful day-to-day than the text/sos feature on the inReach- although I wish one had it all! :face-icon-small-con If anyone has personal experience using the new Garmin inReach I’d love to hear about that as well!

Glad to hear there is a good selection of base maps available. Any luck finding satellite image maps?

Also, how’s the battery life in the cold? Do you ever ride with it mounted on the bars?

kbroderick

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2017
Sena offers bluetooth communications (good for short range, 100 yards max our experience and line of sight)... their systems work pretty well) this is voice communication.

They now have a system the connects to your 2-way radio thus giving substantially more miles of connectivity. We use Sena bluetooth on our motorcycles because we are usually within range but have not used them on the snowmobiles. Have not tried the SR10 device. Some media reports were favorable..

https://www.sena.com/product/sr10/

I've used the SR10 in conjunction with a Baofeng on the motorcycle a fair bit (when I was living in Vermont, I worked cycling races as a moto-ref). The SR10 and Baofeng worked rather well together, and the battery life was good enough that I never got around to hard-wiring the SR10 into the bike. That is in summer weather, though, I'm not sure if it has an all-day battery at 5 deg F.

The only other downside of using a Sena setup for the radio is that you need to remember to bring the radio with you and unplug the Sena connector if you get off the bike/sled.

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
I agree with you on the location polling feature of the Rino. For me personally, I feel like it would be more useful day-to-day than the text/sos feature on the inReach- although I wish one had it all! :face-icon-small-con If anyone has personal experience using the new Garmin inReach I’d love to hear about that as well!

Glad to hear there is a good selection of base maps available. Any luck finding satellite image maps?

Also, how’s the battery life in the cold? Do you ever ride with it mounted on the bars?

The Rinos have a text feature also. The 755Ts also have an 8MP camera, which I haven't used because I also carry my phone, that will embed GPS coordinates in the EXIF header.

I've never looked for satellite imagery for ours since we only use them in the winter, but I can see it would be useful when there's no snow on the ground or when hunting for untracked honey holes.

I keep my radio in the upper pocket of my jacket with the antenna sticking out for reception. I don't want it to fall off my sled when I end up upside down. I leave it on all day and have been able to use it for most of a second day after forgetting to charge it overnight. I can't speak to how it would respond to being out in the elements all day, on the bars. I'm tossing around doing that setup this year but haven't looked for a mount yet. I think if I do, I'll also install a DC lighter or USB charging port so I can keep it plugged in on the sled.

Here is a link to GPS File Depot that has the 24K TOPO basemaps available:
https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php

L
Nov 18, 2014
CDA, ID
The Rinos have a text feature also. The 755Ts also have an 8MP camera, which I haven't used because I also carry my phone, that will embed GPS coordinates in the EXIF header.

I've never looked for satellite imagery for ours since we only use them in the winter, but I can see it would be useful when there's no snow on the ground or when hunting for untracked honey holes.

I keep my radio in the upper pocket of my jacket with the antenna sticking out for reception. I don't want it to fall off my sled when I end up upside down. I leave it on all day and have been able to use it for most of a second day after forgetting to charge it overnight. I can't speak to how it would respond to being out in the elements all day, on the bars. I'm tossing around doing that setup this year but haven't looked for a mount yet. I think if I do, I'll also install a DC lighter or USB charging port so I can keep it plugged in on the sled.

Here is a link to GPS File Depot that has the 24K TOPO basemaps available:
https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php

Well it sounds like a couple Rino's just might be the way to go. It sounds like they have the bases covered when it comes to what we need.

From what I can see the inReach does not have a location polling feature, correct? I feel like thats pretty important for when the ol' lady ends up in a tree well somewhere.

Thank you for the link to the maps- looks great!

Premium Features