• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sticky throttle

M
Nov 30, 2008
2018 Mcat not returning to idle once warm. It is 100% heat related as it works perfect when cold. Removed the hood and manually checked the throttle bodies - good spring pressure and all seems fine. Everything perfect when cold. Once good and hot it gets stuck at 2300-2400 rpm instead of returning to idle rpm (1600-1700?? Guessing). To get it back to idle I have to blip the throttle a couple time really short and quick and it usually drops. At that point I can feel the resistance for the first 1/16 of the throttle. I am sure it has to be something inside the cable. Dealer said they haven't seen this before and called Cat and no such reports on anything similar.

Any thoughts?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
"Good and hot" what temperature is the engine? What is the pipe temp? Intake temp?
If there is resistance from the cable, i would replace it or have the dealer replace it.

Mountain Cat

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Check the cable housing right at the throttle end. I had a cable start to pull the housing out of the little crimped aluminum end. Mine would do the same thing after riding for a bit.

Turns out it a handlebar bag I was using was pinching the throttle cable when I'd have the bars turned all the way and the housing worked its way out of the crimped end a little bit. Since you mentioned feeling the resistance in the cable it sounds like it might be something similar.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Been there, done that. And a big safety concern.

First thing I usually look at is the simple stuff...make sure no damage or fraying at the throttle block. Then check at throttle bodies. If nothing obvious, I usually disconnect both ends and slide back and forth full range and check for smoothness. If that is OK, I connect to throttle and have someone pull back at throttle body. If that is OK, I connect to throttle body and pull by hand at the top.

Lastly, check the throttle body actuation by hand and make sure smooth there.

Usually you will find a fray or that is hangs up. Sometimes you can't see the fray. Rarely it is from the throttle body itself.

R
Feb 26, 2008
For whatever reason, the retainer for the cable on the 18s is much tougher than the old ones to seat properly. Where the cable slides through the throttle block is a spring-loaded ball type retainer. Something to at least check. The sheath should not easily pull back out of the throttle block.

Premium Features