• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Cat Advice

R
Oct 18, 2017
Maybe save the money on all these tiny savings and instead go for a C3 powersports carbon tunnel or skid? Not sure if they have molds for the tub part of the chassis.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
$/lb is what you have to look at for weight loss. I don't even know if C3 makes the tunnels anymore and the mountain cat rear sections are probably within a lb of the Patric carbon rear sections. Carbon rails will loose 5lb over ice age for $1500, but not sure over stock. After all the small bits for $100-200/lb you hit $300/lb really quick.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
By itself it's probably not noticeable. Definitely not like loosing 15lb with a can or 10 with a hood. It's one of those things that bundled together with several other parts collectively make a difference. The kind of thing you do after all the easy stuff comes off. In general if you're looking to take weight off a sled and have it be the most noticeable, start at the points that are furthest from the rider and furthest from the centerline distance of the sled as that is the weight you are having to manipulate the most as a rider. Getting rid of rotating weight that's far away from the center axis of rotation will get rid of gyroscopic effects too and make more noticeable difference than a lb or two off the center of the chassis.

I'm at the point with my sled where the easy weight has come off of it and if I can get a $100/lb weight savings that's pretty cheap if I want to keep going. So whether I spend $1000 on a part that saves 10lb or $100 on 10 parts that save me 1lb each, it's the same value as far as the budget goes. I'm somewhere in the 420-430lb weight range dry and I priced it out to pull another 30lb off my sled will be right at $5k, or $167/lb average. Each person has to decide what's worth it to them.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
C3 isn't making carbon stuff anymore, basically just the syncrodrive now. they are putting there focus on the yeti snowbike system. you wont find any carbon tunnels unless they are used. carbon tanks are vey nice but they are prone to leaking. if you can get your hands on a hood get it. they are amazing, light and look awesome. plus super easy to install a cold air intake with it. tunnels are nice but its A LOT of work
daaa.jpg

daa.jpg

Last edited:

High Life

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW Montana
The in-season 2018 Sno Pro and Mountain Cat fuel tank is 5lbs lighter than previous years. This only applies to non-electric start models. The shape and fuel capacity is the same as previous non-estart models. The weight savings comes from thinner tank walls because they are using rotational molding process (which is more expensive).

Why is it that a 2014 Sno Pro and a 2018 Mountain Cat have the same part number for the fuel tank, 1770-032? If the new tank on the 2018's is 5 lb. lighter, wouldn't it have a new part number? What am I missing here? Both models are non-ES....

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
Why is it that a 2014 Sno Pro and a 2018 Mountain Cat have the same part number for the fuel tank, 1770-032? If the new tank on the 2018's is 5 lb. lighter, wouldn't it have a new part number? What am I missing here? Both models are non-ES....
it was a myth there the same tank

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Cat bragged up having a new lightweight tank that was using a new molding process on the new sleds, but I'm guessing it fell through for some reason and they never said anything about it. Saw some pictures on facebook where someone pulled a new tank off of a new in-season mountain cat and weighed it compared to a 2016 tank. They were the same.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
Not sure why it fell through, wish they would of told us more on the marketing side too like longer rear shock and different track geo even over the 17 mountain cat...

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Not sure why it fell through, wish they would of told us more on the marketing side too like longer rear shock and different track geo even over the 17 mountain cat...

So they can have a 5lb lighter sled next year that no one will know about :face-icon-small-dis

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Cat is unfortunately a nightmare to deal with in this regard, they change so many random things every year with absolute piss poor documentation of the changes. Makes the aftermarket side of things really annoying as you literally have to get every single variation of the sled to confirm what changes were made and where.

For example, the updates got made to the 153 and 162 but not 141, or only the 141 limiteds and mtn sleds, non limiteds stayed the same.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
Cat is unfortunately a nightmare to deal with in this regard, they change so many random things every year with absolute piss poor documentation of the changes. Makes the aftermarket side of things really annoying as you literally have to get every single variation of the sled to confirm what changes were made and where.

For example, the updates got made to the 153 and 162 but not 141, or only the 141 limiteds and mtn sleds, non limiteds stayed the same.
sure this makes things hard doing what you do day to day,

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
17 to 18

Totaly agree. Any details on the '18 rear skid/RTS set-up? I have the QSL RTS on order, but the rear pull-down rod is on B/O from Cat 'till Janruary ( to put on my'17 MC); Can't do one without the other. Am I missing anything else??:juggle:

Premium Features