• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 RMK 700 excessive oil consumption

B
Apr 14, 2017
Last ride of the season and my sled which has been great since buying it has an issue. Excessive oil consumption and engine is sporadically miss firing. Trying to resolve my problem not sure where to start ... ECU or injector ?
On the plus side I have the off season to fix my problem. Advice appreciated thx in advance.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Have an 07 700 Dragon with near 5000 miles on it and can not quite remember but I think that if the cable to the oil pump breaks or becomes in-op, the pump arm goes to full rich to protect the engine! Check this. If I am wrong and it is direct connected like the PRO and 10 dragon, then I think the short rod going from the throttle body to the pump might have come disconnected and the same goes here , the pump goes to full rich.
gtwitch in wyoming

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
If it isn't an obvious problem of broken or disconnected cable, then its your pump.

These pumps have a reputation of going bad by burning a lot of oil. Mine was fine for 100 hours and after a rebuild, it burns 1/2 tank of oil for half a tank of fuel.

Not looking forward to it but will pull engine and replace it next Fall.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Have an 07 700 Dragon with near 5000 miles on it and can not quite remember but I think that if the cable to the oil pump breaks or becomes in-op, the pump arm goes to full rich to protect the engine! Check this. If I am wrong and it is direct connected like the PRO and 10 dragon, then I think the short rod going from the throttle body to the pump might have come disconnected and the same goes here , the pump goes to full rich.
gtwitch in wyoming

He is correct, check this out first.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
It can be as simple as one or two of the oil check valves that are weak or stuck open. If I remember they pop at 4psi on the test gauge and hold at 3psi.

Premium Features