• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help to determine if there is case damage please

U
Feb 21, 2017
Saskatchewan
I am looking to buy a complete 2005 sled that the owner says the coolant leaked out and seized the motor. I have a complete top end that would make a running sled out of it. Is there any way to determine if it's just the top end that is damaged without pulling the cylinders?

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
Need to be a touch more specific when you are talking about the coolant leaking and seizing the motor. Did he blow a head gasket/O-ring, Cylinder base gasket or possibly the water pump seal on the lower end. I would get some more info from the fella first but either way that sounds like an easy fix.

U
Feb 21, 2017
Saskatchewan
He said that there was a leak in the coolant bottle over winter, started it up then ran it down the road to "warm it up" without knowing it was low/out of coolant. Not the way to warm up one of these picky basterds let alone any sled, says its still locked up though, so made me wonder a bit. being that if the coolant tank leaked there should have still been some coolant in the motor unless the water pump air locked after the thermostat opened?? If I can get it at a good enough price I may take the risk as its possibly a bad cold seize too.

Said it bogged then died, didn't just die so Im hoping for the likely case here, if I get the sled ill post the findings :)

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
Its possible crank and c-rods are bad and plan on about $1,000 for a replacement.

If case has a hole in it, you are SOL as that starts getting even more expensive.

Personally, something doesn't smell right to me and I would probably pass if I were in your situation unless you got it for an amount that would allow you to part it out, worse case, for what you got into it.

Good luck and please share with us if you decide to go for it.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
If you go for it and need a bottom end I will suggest you spend the money on a TM1 bottom end from Indy Specialty. It's 2200 bucks but in my opinion it's well worth it.

U
Feb 21, 2017
Saskatchewan
Price is at the point where if I can salvage the motor it a bonus so we will see what happens. Yet to close the deal but yes I agree, Story does smell a bit like a tub of old minnows :) For some stupid reason i am looking forward to the suprise.

I agree on the TM1.

Here is a good question for an experienced engine cooker... Whats going to be the best way to unweld the pistons from the cylinders? I had an idea of heating the cylinder/piston then hitting the piston with instant cold spray haha.

Thoughts?
:face-icon-small-sho

Also it has an SLP pipe is there any way to tell if it has the ECU flash?

Last edited:
J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
A 2005 anything is not worth much more than $2k...and a new top end with cylinder refurbs will end up costing you close to half of that. And then there is the risk of it being more than the top end. Unless it's just about free, not really worth the risk IMO. Just go buy a decent running sled of the same era for $2k...you'll be better off.

U
Feb 21, 2017
Saskatchewan
It had some aftermarket goodies that I was basically getting it for but the guy just asked for $200 more so I told him I didn't need to pay $200 more for a bigger headache lol. Had slp pipe, walker evans shocks, scratchers etc that I wanted for my sled. I was gonna get it for 600, thought it was worth the risk at that but not any more... so I don't get to open the surprise box after all haha

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
A 2005 anything is not worth much more than $2k...and a new top end with cylinder refurbs will end up costing you close to half of that. And then there is the risk of it being more than the top end. Unless it's just about free, not really worth the risk IMO. Just go buy a decent running sled of the same era for $2k...you'll be better off.

Bah can't let that stop you!!! If you ask anyone that has owned a 900 or currently still owns one, you can beat the way these machines make power. They pull and pull and pull and pull. Just like anything out there we ride they are all ticking time bombs.

U
Feb 21, 2017
Saskatchewan
It's like going back to that cheating ex girlfriend time and time again because she goes and goes and goes ?

Also why I have many boxes full of parts coming with me to the hills in April for the running 06 haha.

Premium Features