• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sawtell Peak- Island Park

trail traveler

Lifetime Membership
Oct 29, 2014
WA state
I'm heading to West Yellowstone/Island park area this winter and I'm looking to try new trails to ride. I haven't tried Sawtell Peak yet, but it looks like it would be a spectacular route with views. The grooming map shows the road as being a plowed road as opposed to an actual groomed trail. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge if this road can be ridden to the top? I don't want to trash the carbides if it's a bare road. Thanks, Trail Traveler

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
I'm heading to West Yellowstone/Island park area this winter and I'm looking to try new trails to ride. I haven't tried Sawtell Peak yet, but it looks like it would be a spectacular route with views. The grooming map shows the road as being a plowed road as opposed to an actual groomed trail. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge if this road can be ridden to the top? I don't want to trash the carbides if it's a bare road. Thanks, Trail Traveler

Regarding the road, it is plowed and sometimes bare but, snowmobiles are prohibited on the road. There is no groomed trail to saw tell peak. It is possible to get near sawtell peak but it requires off trail sometimes beat up back country riding.

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
Been on top of it many times you cut back and forth across the road up is one way. In fact a couple places where you can jump right over the road good riding. I learned the way up from the cat guys.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
Yeah, the gates are closed in the winter, there is an FAA air traffic control radar station there. We like to approach it from the S.W., but if snow conditions are thin, it can be a brutal ride. I've crested onto the road more than once to find myself in front of a grader, they're fanatical about maintaining the road... Yikes :face-icon-small-sho
https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/7266-sawtell-peak.html

Premium Features