• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16 front end

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
Just curious which setting most guys use for ski stance? Headed to WY(16 m8 sno pro) in a few days. Is there a certain setting that causes more stress on the front end parts? Any info is greatly appreciated thanks

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I may be wrong but, I would put them in the widest setting.

The reason I say so is, I put the 2016 front end on my 2015 and proceeded to tip over constantly. The balance point was so small in the narrow setting that I was overriding the sled. I got so frustrated that I was going to buy some Simmons Gen 1 skis and go to the full wide setting to attempt to stop from tipping over.

The only thing that stopped me from doing that was I added the Mountain cat chain case. It made the sled much more easily manageable off trail and frankly allowed me to keep my sled because I was going to sell it if that didn't remedy the issue. I was tired of feeling like a clown from constantly tipping over.

However, now with the Gripper skis, 36" wide front end and the lowered chain case, my sleds works just like it should . I am happy!

Last edited:
M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
I just put Polaris Grippers on my '17 Mountain Cat. The spindles are at 36.5" and the AC Proclimb 7 skis are adjustable from 34.5" to 38.5". With the Grippers the only choices are 35.5" or 37.5" I set mine at 37.5 for the stability, as this chassis gets on edge very well.

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Just curious which setting most guys use for ski stance? Headed to WY(16 m8 sno pro) in a few days. Is there a certain setting that causes more stress on the front end parts? Any info is greatly appreciated thanks

With grippers - narrowest setting

With stocks skiis - second narrowest setting

Takes a half day of riding to get used to the narrow, but if you ride the trees or much off camber, it is a night and day difference.

Shock pressure settings make more of a difference that ski stance, just to keep that in mind

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I run mine with the spindles in the center. Guess it depends on how you like to set up your sled and what you are looking for it to do. If you want it more stable use the wide stance. I like mine to roll easy and the center spot works for me. If you really want it to roll put it in the narrowest. I've always liked to run the spindle in the center of the ski for the best feel. Although on my 12 with the wide pig 40 inch front I ran it on the inside just to get it as narrow as possible, I never did like the way the skis felt with it setup like that.

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
With grippers - narrowest setting

With stocks skiis - second narrowest setting

Takes a half day of riding to get used to the narrow, but if you ride the trees or much off camber, it is a night and day difference.

Shock pressure settings make more of a difference that ski stance, just to keep that in mind

Trying ski shocks at 65, inch of thread showing on fts and 125 in the rts, if I find myself trenching what should I adjust/do first? Thanks

yz250_

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
Trying ski shocks at 65, inch of thread showing on fts and 125 in the rts, if I find myself trenching what should I adjust/do first? Thanks

My setup is

F - 55/114
R - 127/206

DirtdoctorLJ

Lifetime Membership
Mar 10, 2008
Miller, SD 57362

715 first thing is to take pre load out of the fts, most run it with 1 turn of preload(if your weight under #210 geared up)...if it still trenches add air to RTS at 5 psi at a time. My trenching is mostly caused by the clutching hitting to hard or lack of throttle control and best way to fix that is give Jeremy Houle a call at Speedwerx and explain whats going on and they can fix clutching for your riding style.:face-icon-small-hap

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT

Need to know your weight to get accurate pressure information. Best deep snow performance: 4-5 threads showing under the center shock pre-load rings. Best mogul mashing and tailstander fun: 1-1/4" of threads showing under the pre-load rings.

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
Need to know your weight to get accurate pressure information. Best deep snow performance: 4-5 threads showing under the center shock pre-load rings. Best mogul mashing and tailstander fun: 1-1/4" of threads showing under the pre-load rings.

Could you further explain please, is it 4-5 threads that I should see exposed from where the threads start on top? If I try 4-5 threads from the bottom the spring is super loose and flopping around..

Thanks

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
I like mine in the center because it is the least stress on the ski rubbers plus 36" is the perfect width. Any narrower you are going to panel out so bad you will be negatively affecting performance especially if you aren't running skinny boards.

K
May 9, 2013
That's not necessarily true. I had my Barcod kit set at 34" on my 2015 worked great! Even better now that its on my 18 MC

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Could you further explain please, is it 4-5 threads that I should see exposed from where the threads start on top? If I try 4-5 threads from the bottom the spring is super loose and flopping around..

Thanks
Threads below jam nut.
That is interesting that urs is floppy with 4-5threads, may be a bad spring?

I prefer 10-11 threads showing, easier steering, easier to roll up on its side, comes up out of a hole better.

Alpha ......

Mar 7, 2017
West Bend, WI
Threads below jam nut.
That is interesting that urs is floppy with 4-5threads, may be a bad spring?

I prefer 10-11 threads showing, easier steering, easier to roll up on its side, comes up out of a hole better.

Alpha ......

Are we comparing apples to apples,
Is there a different shock length from 15 and prior?
Mines a 2016... only has 475 miles on it, wouldn’t think the springs bad..

Threads below jam nut meaning 4-5 threads showing on the opposite side of the spring is what you mean correct?

Currently I have it tightened where I can see 4-5 threads from the top and then there’s the spring and jam nuts with several threads showing themselves towards the bottom of the skid

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Are we comparing apples to apples,
Is there a different shock length from 15 and prior?
Mines a 2016... only has 475 miles on it, wouldn’t think the springs bad..
U r correct. I forgot the 16 FTS is 1in longer. Not sure how that translates to preload and distance?

Anyway, i prefer more preload than most others. Makes the sled so much more fun to ride.

My 18 has 75psi in the FTS.

Alpha ......

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
There is a balance between front and rear shock that u must find for the snow conditions and riding type.

If ur trenching with the skis up in the air:
Add air to the rear shock.

If u can't lift the skis and it feels more like ur power braking a car:
Reduce the air pressure in the rear shock and possibly add more preload to the front shock.

Alpha ......

Premium Features