• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Informal mountain sled drags

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Need some intel here...due to low snow conditions, we've been out a couple of times buzzing the local trails and lining the sleds up for fun. Here's the sleds and the results...

2016 Axys Assault 155, 2016 Pro 163 and 2016 Pro 155 vs 2015 XM 163.

The Doo beat all of us easily. My assault had a slight edge on the Pros. From a dig or a roll didn't matter.

Here's what I don't understand...my buddy with the 163 had a 2015 163 Pro that would walk the same XM Doo. My 2013 Pro 155 was right there with it. Stock sleds. Based on 'feel', I thought the Axys would be at least as quick but such is not the case.

So if the Axys has 8-10 HP more than the Pro then Poo must have lost some efficiency in the Axys drivetrain. Not that I care about drag racing my mountain sled but concerned these sleds aren't getting the power to the track.

Has anyone else seen similar results?

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
I have a 13 Pro 800 155x2.4. Lined up a few weeks ago with a 2016 Pro 155x3 with SLP pipe and can. On a trail, but it was plenty soft/loose on top to fill up the paddles. We went like 4 runs I think.

From a standstill or rolling, we were dead nuts even out to 70 mph. Thought I was gonna get smoked.

He had a definite edge off trail though; I imagine mostly because of the hookup of the 3" paddle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I found the axys clutching to be soft... engaged smooth and easy puled steady and strong, it was not to my liking. the skuds seem to be clutched a little hotter. I don't know if you have ever clutched a sled but its night and day to how hard it pules! my guess is that is most of the differences in the drags although the shorter/longer track and different gearing can make a big difference. I believe the pros are geared lower than the axys witch would give them an edge on a shorter 1/4-1/2 mile drag.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Axys is geared lower. I've clutched every sled I've owned since 1998. Couldn't find enough of a gain with the Assault over stock. Hits a little harder but not enough real world performance difference. I'll try other setups when I get time and snow. Regardless, there's not a clutch setup that will put me in front of that XM, IMO.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Did some tractor sled racing last year 2015 pro 163 TD all stock was the fastest my sled the second 17 axys 162 X3 slp pipe pro QD gears raced 15 xm 154 stock 17 850 2.5 165 and 17 850 3" 165 the 850's we're right with me the xm not even in the race.
Surprised me that the 15 pro was putting a whopping on us. Made his day

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I was pretty easily out dragging a 16 Xm 163 on the weekend with an 18 axys 163. We were from a roll on some lakes. I could give him the hit and reel him in no prob.

It’s possible you have some worn belt/clutch
/motor mount components in the 16 axys that are robbing some speed? Or if the doo has a good clutch kit they can be quick in drags.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
The Doo is stock. I know for a fact. There's also another guy with the same 163 XM in the group. Same results. Doesn't seem feasible that our 3 2016s are all suffering from belt/motor mount issues....I could see it if it was just one of us but same results for all 3 Axys sleds. Mine only has 700 miles on it. This isn't making sense based on what you guys are seeing.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
man all I can say is their are many that disagree with you on clutching the axys. what kits did you try? I didn't play with the stock axys clutching so I cant contest to it I just through a turbo on and a clutch kit on that...and a few other odds and ends. maybe its just the luck of the sled? better casting in one vrs. the others? just hard to say as 2 others have stated that the xm isn't taking them.. do you and your buds keep up with the simple things like new springs every year, adjusting your belt deflection ,keeping your clutches clean, track tension{that alone can scrub 3-4 mph I hear},replacing the motor mounts every 1000 miles or so? I have always kept my sleds on the up and up and have hade a many of friends that road them till they were broken and then fixed them, and they could never under stand why my sleds were always faster! I am not implying that you are one of those guys or your not just throwing ideas out their that might explain why your buds and you are seeing the results you are and others are seeing the opposite.

B

Bossman

Sep 14, 2008
mountain sled drags

While the Axys has a horsepower advantage over the Pro, it loses much of that advantage at higher speeds due to it's 7 tooth drive sprockets versus the more efficient 8 tooth drivers used on the Pros.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
How bout off the line though? I have yet to have an Axys pull me and I'm stock 13 pro.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

B

Bossman

Sep 14, 2008
sled drags

The Pros have a 56/42.36 helix which upshifts much harder up to about 30MPH, while the Axys has a straight 40 degree helix.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
I'm not running stock clutching. My sled is quicker out of the hole over a stock setup but still no match for the XM. I can get the jump on the Doo but he's going by me at 40-50 MPH. Is what it is. As already mentioned, I think the smaller drivers play a part in it....less efficient for speed but more efficient for deep snow performance.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'm not running stock clutching. My sled is quicker out of the hole over a stock setup but still no match for the XM. I can get the jump on the Doo but he's going by me at 40-50 MPH. Is what it is. As already mentioned, I think the smaller drivers play a part in it....less efficient for speed but more efficient for deep snow performance.

What’s funny is how many variables come into play when drag racing.
Track tension, suspension adjustments for weight transfer, rider weight, clutch wear item condition, belt wear or glaze. Etc etc.

Last spring we lined up a bunch of sleds also.
4-6” of spring crusty/ dense on a base.
My slp piped axys 162x3 would walk on 2 different 850’s (17 and 18 prototype) 165x3 (both lighter riders) an xm 154 x2.5 and a SBA 144 x1.375 axys with slp pipe also.

There was all kinds of excuses from the 850 guys so we swapped sleds and the light guy on my sled left us all behind. :)

None of it means anything though.
Proof is in the pudding.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Gave up on the a2d kit?

Everything else is from his kit.
I’m just a heavier guy #225 plus gear so I tried the pro helix and liked it.

Two other sleds in our group are running chads kit complete with great success. (Lighter guys)

Last edited:
W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
What’s funny is how many variables come into play when drag racing.
Track tension, suspension adjustments for weight transfer, rider weight, clutch wear item condition, belt wear or glaze. Etc etc.

Last spring we lined up a bunch of sleds also.
4-6” of spring crusty/ dense on a base.
My slp piped axys 162x3 would walk on 2 different 850’s (17 and 18 prototype) 165x3 (both lighter riders) an xm 154 x2.5 and a SBA 144 x1.375 axys with slp pipe also.

There was all kinds of excuses from the 850 guys so we swapped sleds and the light guy on my sled left us all behind. :)

None of it means anything though.
Proof is in the pudding.

Yep, lots of variables and I'm the only one in the group who's had an alignment tool on their clutches, cleans clutches, adjusted track tension, adjusted chain tension/played with gearing, changed stock suspension settings and cleaned exhaust valves.

Pudding doesn't always taste very good.:face-icon-small-ton

I get more action than any of those goofballs and my girl is better looking than theirs so I still consider it a win. LOL

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Clutching and suspension setup are huge in drags. The Poo doesn't tend to transfer much compared to the Doo, depending on how they are setup. Also, softer track on the Poo.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
The Ski Doo 850 works very well. Good track, motor and stock clutching. I can see it walking away from an Axys on the flat. They also build and carry incredible speed up the hill. I just don't care for the handling or width in the front. Axys spoils you that way. Narrow and easy to change directions in off camber deep snow. The 850 is a handful in similar conditions even with the narrow front end. I am not sure why hi I preferred the XM chassis to the Gen 4. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about drag race results. The Axys is still a better mountain sled for most conditions.

Premium Features