• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Reason Our Axys Relays Are Failing

Feb 3, 2018
Is there anyone making an electronic relay not mechanical like these. Something totally encapsulated is what you need.

Not sure IF you would find a solid state relay rated to 35 A?

Also the pin outs would not line up...the physical size would be different.

You could probably do it but would require rewire.

Just replace with Panasonic or Bosch.

Mount upright.

Dielectric grease base to seal out moisture.

You can get a 5 pack of Bosch waterproof relay and pigtail.

Chop off existing wiring harness....solder and heat shrink waterproof pigtail...mount relay upright.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/5Pcs-12V-5-p...elays-Switch-Harness/152788045881?_mwBanner=1

Last edited:

papafinger1

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2007
minnesota
Last trip had issues with gauge coming up at start, irregular idle, drop in 150 drop in rpms and killed 3 times while using reverse. Ran strong otherwise. Checked motor mount. They showed slight wear but nothing like others have seen. Relays on the other hand were a different story. Thanks for all the great posts. If it wasn’t for snowest I would be chasing my tail.
7c9df0b707e6588a1d613840fdd11d1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Lots of things can cause corrosion. Dissimilar metals, moisture, arching, static charge, etc. Even wrapping a relay can still allow moisture from humidity in there. I also notice that the button/contact looks to be a different metal than the arm...this will cause anode/cathode reaction and build-up oxidation and/or corrosion and it's just a matter of time until you need high potential/voltage to break through the contact...then you have carbon...then it gets worse...then you have a high resistance contact and it's over. Wrong relay/material for this application.

Feb 3, 2018
Did mine today.

Ordered from Mouser.

Panasonic CM1-R-12

Put a bead of dielectric grease around base so after it's plugged in grease will prevent any moisture intrusion.

A smarter idea would also to buy some electronic conformal coating and spray the base of these relays. That is basically an electrically safe varnish that is used to coat circuit boards to protect against corrosion.

2018 SBA

2 relays are located right beside belt storage slot.
1 relay is inside velcro pouch above primary.
1 relay is below the side of the battery.
1 relay is toward back of battery.

1 of my battery relays for electric start had corrosion....and last trip out my electric start wouldn't work when I got home? So it might have been that relay!

Last edited:

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
The harness side of the connector is the problem. Get something to seal the backside of those connectors. I used liquid electrical tape on the 2 sitting on the cross bar.

Did mine today.

Ordered from Mouser.

Panasonic CM1-R-12

Put a bead of dielectric grease around base so after it's plugged in grease will prevent any moisture intrusion.

A smarter idea would also to buy some electronic conformal coating and spray the base of these relays. That is basically an electrically safe varnish that is used to coat circuit boards to protect against corrosion.

2018 SBA

2 relays are located right beside belt storage slot.
1 relay is inside velcro pouch above primary.
1 relay is below the side of the battery.
1 relay is toward back of battery.

1 of my battery relays for electric start had corrosion....and last trip out my electric start wouldn't work when I got home? So it might have been that relay!

Feb 3, 2018
The harness side of the connector is the problem. Get something to seal the backside of those connectors. I used liquid electrical tape on the 2 sitting on the cross bar.

I packed dielectric in back side of harness....and taped up tight with Scotch 33.

When machine is off warranty I will redo with waterproof harness and relay from Bosch.

I got all relays sealed up now.

I was also thinking conformal coating/ electrical varnish would be good to spray backside of harnesses.

The REAL problem is the Made in China tags all over the wiring harnesses....Polaris definitely cheaped out!

What do you do with connections in behind air box for ECU???....I left them alone for now.

I will definitely cover my sled IF on highway. Salt spray getting use hood would definitely not be good!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Pondering

Perk,

Great presentation.

I follow your logic... and have something else to add from years of experience in the marine industry.

Though the unused NC side of the contact shows no corrosion....as you noted, you would not expect it... the other side, N.O., could very well show issues related to moisture because of the heat/moisture/load placed on the contact in use.

The same thing rears its head on older cars with moisture under the distributor cap... with points style ignition....Often, when inspected, no moisture is present... but the points are fried.

Other things that can affect the condition of the contact, including the strength of the signal that the ECU is sending to the relay.... OR the resistance at the terminal/contact in the base of the relay... If corrosion is present, and the resistance of the terminal is significant.... the contacts in the relay will not 'slam together' fast or hard enough to make a good contact for the load present.... and a lot of arcing will happen... which fries the contact surfaces. If you don't pull the contacts together with speed and force... the contacts will suffer and longevity of the relay will be shortened drastically.

So, in different ways, the life of the contact Can be affected by moisture/corrosion even if it does not enter the relay.

I agree however that a much better relay can be used... and that the Panasonic relays that I listed in the other thread would have a better chance at being a better quality of relay and contact... though there is no direct evidence of this... just that Panisonic brand tends to carry a quality reputation.
Worth noting, there are Panasonic products that are made in 3rd world countries/locations.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Perk,

Great presentation.

I follow your logic... and have something else to add from years of experience in the marine industry.

Though the unused NC side of the contact shows no corrosion....as you noted, you would not expect it... the other side, N.O., could very well show issues related to moisture because of the heat/moisture/load placed on the contact in use.

The same thing rears its head on older cars with moisture under the distributor cap... with points style ignition....Often, when inspected, no moisture is present... but the points are fried.

Other things that can affect the condition of the contact, including the strength of the signal that the ECU is sending to the relay.... OR the resistance at the terminal/contact in the base of the relay... If corrosion is present, and the resistance of the terminal is significant.... the contacts in the relay will not 'slam together' fast or hard enough to make a good contact for the load present.... and a lot of arcing will happen... which fries the contact surfaces. If you don't pull the contacts together with speed and force... the contacts will suffer and longevity of the relay will be shortened drastically.

So, in different ways, the life of the contact Can be affected by moisture/corrosion even if it does not enter the relay.

I agree however that a much better relay can be used... and that the Panasonic relays that I listed in the other thread would have a better chance at being a better quality of relay and contact... though there is no direct evidence of this... just that Panisonic brand tends to carry a quality reputation.
Worth noting, there are Panasonic products that are made in 3rd world countries/locations.

In addition, inductive loads are terrible for relay contacts. They can pull big arcs when pulling apart. These can be reduced with a quench arc or capacitor. Does anyone know for sure what type of load is being driven? Resistive or Inductive?

Premium Features