• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mounting Garmin Montana (Gen4)

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
How are you guys mounting your Montana's on the Gen4? There is a "Glovebox Extension/GPS Support (#860201249) in the Ski-doo accessory catalog, but I don't see how the gps mount attaches to it. I've always used the Garmin APMS Rugged hardwire mount on my Poo's utilizing a Ram ball mount. Thanks for any input.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
How are you guys mounting your Montana's on the Gen4? There is a "Glovebox Extension/GPS Support (#860201249) in the Ski-doo accessory catalog, but I don't see how the gps mount attaches to it. I've always used the Garmin APMS Rugged hardwire mount on my Poo's utilizing a Ram ball mount. Thanks for any input.

Typically people just mount this direct to the glovebox:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/89575

That gives you power to your Montana. Here is a picture mounted to an XM sled with a similar extension.
https://www.gpscity.com/gallery_pics/pic01278-1.jpg

This mount also lets you add a RAM ball to it if you want. I had one mounted that way in my truck before with the Ram ball mounted to the backside of the powered mount.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
Typically people just mount this direct to the glovebox:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/89575

That gives you power to your Montana. Here is a picture mounted to an XM sled with a similar extension.
https://www.gpscity.com/gallery_pics/pic01278-1.jpg

This mount also lets you add a RAM ball to it if you want. I had one mounted that way in my truck before with the Ram ball mounted to the backside of the powered mount.

Thanks! Have the Garmin AMP mount, so I should be good to go. I'm assuming it'll mount directly to the stock glove box or extended? Is the a 12v source within the glove box?

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks! Have the Garmin AMP mount, so I should be good to go. I'm assuming it'll mount directly to the stock glove box or extended? Is the a 12v source within the glove box?

That I don't know but I believe if you buy the Garmin set-up direct from Doo it's plug and play for power so my guess is there is a connector close to that area you can hook to. Might be able to ask the dealer for a wiring diagram that might let you know the best place for power? or maybe someone else here will chime in on that.

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
That I don't know but I believe if you buy the Garmin set-up direct from Doo it's plug and play for power so my guess is there is a connector close to that area you can hook to. Might be able to ask the dealer for a wiring diagram that might let you know the best place for power? or maybe someone else here will chime in on that.

Doo seems to be only offering the Garmin Zumo (and unless Garmin changed the Zumo, it sucks for backcountry riding - had one a few years ago - it's a street GPS) with compatibility with the Gen4. I already have and know how to use the Montana. I'm hoping there is a way to adapt the Montana harness into the 12v Gen4 Supply. If not, I may just have to splice in the right connector. I'll post install directions when I get delivery on the sled.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Doo seems to be only offering the Garmin Zumo (and unless Garmin changed the Zumo, it sucks for backcountry riding - had one a few years ago - it's a street GPS) with compatibility with the Gen4. I already have and know how to use the Montana. I'm hoping there is a way to adapt the Montana harness into the 12v Gen4 Supply. If not, I may just have to splice in the right connector. I'll post install directions when I get delivery on the sled.

The Montana is a great unit. Sold mine last year only to move to a Rhino as I wanted the 2-way features. But I miss that large screen every time I use the Rhino. LOL

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden

I was about to say the exact oposite!?!? I have an old, like 10 years+ old, Zumo 550 and I think it is great. My father has a BRP-sold Montana and We both like the Zumo better. The screen is bigger, or at least seems bigger, brighter and the unit is easier to use. If i was to replace my Zumo I would go for the biggest current Zumo I could afford =)

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
I was about to say the exact oposite!?!? I have an old, like 10 years+ old, Zumo 550 and I think it is great. My father has a BRP-sold Montana and We both like the Zumo better. The screen is bigger, or at least seems bigger, brighter and the unit is easier to use. If i was to replace my Zumo I would go for the biggest current Zumo I could afford =)

My biggest beef with the Zumo, and perhaps this has changed, is it would not store/load "Tracks" only "Routes". I use the "Tracks" feature all the time. If I have an enjoyable backcountry ride, I save a track and then have it to reference on future rides. Yes, I wish the Montana was offered with a bigger screen size.

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012

I helped my buddy install the BRP Zumo kit on his Gen4, and we compared the normal Garmin AMP harness to the BRP harness. All BRP is doing is taking the Garmin harness, and adding a quick connect plug to the red/black 12V wires on the Garmin harness. That 12V plug is found on the left side of the sled, under the hood between the handelbar and headlight. It's to the left of where the speedometer would be, and if I recall correctly is just a grey 2-pin plug sitting there not connected to anything. BRP accessories like the 12V outlet, USB, etc. all connect to this plug. So all you have to do is tap into the wires using that plug, or if you really want to get fancy, you could get a cheap BRP accessory like the the 12V outlet (Part # 860201423) and cut the OEM plug off the end and connect it to the AMP harness.

It's worth pointing out this is not an always-hot 12V plug. It's only hot when the sled is running, even if you have electric start. So the GPS will turn on and off with the sled.

Premium Features