• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question: GPS - make, model and mounting

C
Dec 26, 2007
Minnesota
What Make and Model of GPS do you guys recommend for snowmobiling.

Also what are you using to mount it to your snowmobile. What are you mounting it to, Handlebars or hood? Direct connecting it or batteries?

Thanks again,

Cheetah

K
Nov 27, 2007
Washington
Some guys I met use Garmin Rino's. They include a radio so you can talk to each other and it puts all your buddies avatar things in their location on your screen so you can find the guy you lost. They looked very cool and I would love to get them for my family.

Jeb

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Get a Garmin. Best consumer GPS available.

I wouldn't say any of them are "bad", but it depends on the features you want. I have an old one, it talks to my computer and radios; don't really need anything else.

RAM-mount is probably the best mount... I power mine off my sled.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
I agree with above, get a Garmin anything and don't look back. Look at some of the features you need specific to what you will be using it for, and most importantly, LEARN HOW TO USE IT!

Find one that will sync with your computer easily and that you are able to load more detailed basemaps of where you are riding. It doesn't take long to load areas on them if you go someplace new. Make sure you know how to use it properly and you will be happy with just about any Garmin you buy.

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
Brand is a Ford Chevy thing. I like Magellan, but Garmin is probably better seller. Make sure to get one with a good antenna for under trees, a good display you can see in sunlight, and get the mapping cd. It's much more usefull with mapping ability.

As far as power, off the sled is best. I have a schematic to make a converter for an older sled, but I use a 12v rechargable 2 amp-hr battery I keep in my windshield bag and fixed a cig. lighter plug to. Lasts all day and can recharge with a battery tender.

For mounting - go with Ram-mount - worth the cash. Inside the windshield is best, but I have a handlbar mount right now that works ok.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Not so much a brand vs. brand thing, I'm telling you from experience. Garmin will be a lot more accurate, has support for more datums, comes with a better base layer for data, support for consumer use, etc. Magellan uses mostly support via plug and play SD cards, cool idea but try taking that outdoors under conditions, report back. There is a reason the Govt. uses Garmin over Magellan, accuracy on a good day rivals that of Trimble, don't believe me PM me.

External Antennas are a thing of the past, you do not need a large bulky antenna to get good reception, and Garmin proved that with its quad helix back in I think 2003.

Support for base layers will be found more readily available from Garmin as they are based out of the US (Kansas I think), unlike Magellan who is out of Tales(sp.?), France. Base maps are designed in a propietary format, with less limitations on Garmins design, giving you more options to upload third party base maps such as tools found in google earth or a more common sled trail layer you can pull from some states.

Not trying to sound like an azz to vmaxfrank, Magellan has its place, and it is mostly in aircraft because they can lock the prgrams and the recievers down to perform specific duties.

I am just a firm believer that as a consumer product the Garmin series handhelds are designed more btter to reaching their target markets.

O

ovscrider

Dec 2, 2007
Garmin 60CSx or Vista HCX IMO. Expandable memory, the HCx hs great reception even in trees and the 60's is good and use a ram mount. Either run 12v to the sled or energizer lithiums. You may need to run lithiums in something else for about 15 minutes before using them in the GPS, not sure why the lithiums require that but they last 3x as long as a regular battery.

If you have more room on your dash or want a unit you can also use in the truck take a look at the 500 series waterproof Nuvi, comes preloaded with topo and mavigator NT.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
ok so how does one power it off your sled???? I have a garmin etrex legend if that helps. sorry for jackin the thread

First of all, you'll need the connector. They're rather expensive; garmin's proud of them. I got the pigtail connector, has the GPS end on one and bare wires on the other. I put an RJ11 on the other end because they're cheap and I can use that cable on my sled, in my truck, and at the computer.

Anyways... it has a power and ground wire in there. Figure out what voltage yours needs, probably be OK with 12V right off the regulator. Hook that up to your sled's 12V power... check the voltage with a DMM to make sure it's within reason... hook it up to your GPS... then ride... ?

Might consider a bridge rectifier/cap/regulator if you're really concerned about voltage regulation.

Jan 7, 2008
Wasilla, AK
Garmin 276

mounted to my dash, with a cigarette litter plug. I like this unit for it's larger screen, color and options. I alos use it in my boat for summer.

GPS.jpg

Last edited:

cat08m8

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2008
Heres mine

here is how i did mine you can see it clear when heading back rhino 530 with a ram mount.....

530.jpg

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
Polaris - good info there. The antenna part I was referring to was the quad helix. I have an old etrex with a patch antenna that just plain sucks. As far as accuracy, I defer to you. I've always been close enough with mine for my uses. I really like being able to store maps on SD cards and never need to change them out as I can upload the entire country on a 1GB card. With all that said, I will probably go Garmin if I ever get another one because of how widely used they are.

The biggest reason I went with my Meridian Platinum is the screen is easy to read in all conditions. Now the light is starting to flake on me, so I will be in the market for a new one in a year or two. I still keep the basic etrex for a backup.

For safety always carry a compass and paper map as well, you never know when your GPS may fail. Better safe than sorry.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Another vote for the 530. It is the best for the mountains.

Apex6.jpg

W
Sep 6, 2008
First of all, you'll need the connector. They're rather expensive; garmin's proud of them. I got the pigtail connector, has the GPS end on one and bare wires on the other. I put an RJ11 on the other end because they're cheap and I can use that cable on my sled, in my truck, and at the computer.

Anyways... it has a power and ground wire in there. Figure out what voltage yours needs, probably be OK with 12V right off the regulator. Hook that up to your sled's 12V power... check the voltage with a DMM to make sure it's within reason... hook it up to your GPS... then ride... ?

Might consider a bridge rectifier/cap/regulator if you're really concerned about voltage regulation.

i just hard wired my gps in. its a garmin vista cx. dont wire it directly to 12v dc. check your gps voltage input. my garmin uses 5 volts dc therefore i had to knock down the 12 volts my sled puts out to 5 volts before it goes to the gps. i used a car charger for mine and took it apart because that has a circuit board that transforms 12 volts to 5. i hard wired the sleds 12 v directly to the circuit board. seems to work out. i used a ram mount for it. check out gpscity.com.

highstick

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Castle Rock, CO
Magellan Explorist XL GPS

Ok, here's my best answer to the gps question. I looked at marine color gps units to find a big screen. I also looked at everything Garmin has. I ended up buying a Magellan Explorist XL on ebay for $100.00 because it's a 3.5" color screen, runs on 4 AA's, and takes an SD Card. Why by and old unit? Well the manufacturers have figured out the money is in the software (just ask microsoft). Garmin wants 400 plus for a 3.5" touch screen, and then they want you to buy maps too. Every tried a touch screen in the snow with gloves on? No good. The Magellan is the biggest screen out there that isn't touch, takes removable batteries, and can upload maps. You could also buy the mapsend topo map dvd on ebay for $40.00. I decided to buy the new download maps from Magellan for $59.00. It takes an SD card so I can keep all of my old tracks for reference on the trail, and is almost unlimited in storing new ones. I even found a way to convert them to Google earth maps. Just in case you ever wanted to share your secret powder spots or publish a highmark. My total cost was $200.00 with cords and Mountainhorse's battery idea.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=35570&d=1225854912

P1010104.jpg

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
i just hard wired my gps in. its a garmin vista cx. dont wire it directly to 12v dc. check your gps voltage input. my garmin uses 5 volts dc therefore i had to knock down the 12 volts my sled puts out to 5 volts before it goes to the gps. i used a car charger for mine and took it apart because that has a circuit board that transforms 12 volts to 5. i hard wired the sleds 12 v directly to the circuit board. seems to work out. i used a ram mount for it. check out gpscity.com.

Yes, the car charger is probably the most fool-proof way to get the right voltage out of there. It was my understanding most of them have regulation built onto the input terminals so they could take just about anything.

Premium Features