• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2019 yamaha

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Every brand has a 2019 thread except yamaha, no one even seems to get excited about their releases on here anymore :p. Anything new this yr or BNG?

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bMInnrtp-nw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
J
Jan 7, 2016
I love my Viper. But I'm over the 4S hype. Next sled is 19 cat. I love the chassis, so getting a sled out of the box thats 100lbs lighter just seems like a win for me. That is unless Yamaha puts there label on a 2S cat than id probably get the Yam. What can I say I love my blue.

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I rode my brother in laws '17 cat back to back with my Viper and it was night and day easier to ride. I really don't want to jump ship, but the fun factor on his sled was just a lot higher.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
It's hard to get excited about a four stroke mountain sled.. I just bought a new 850. Planning on taking off the 3 inch paddle track that's on my viper and installing a 1.75 and keeping it where it belongs, on the trail.

But don't get me wrong. In open areas with super deep snow, these things are a blast. I'm just more into the technical side of riding now, and I'm done trying to muscle a heavier sled through tight trees.. Only so much a 180lb guy can do on a 600+ lb sled.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Got a Sidewinder last week and rode in Seeley Lake for 4 days. It's a great sled. I only notice the weight when I'm stuck but nothing a shovel can't solve. No problem in the trees. I'm actually glad to be the only one out there with one. I find it funny when people think you can't ride when they hear you ride a 4 stroke. I found it worked very well in the trees. No problem for me.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
The SW is very tempting for sure. But watching riding buddies not as tired at the end of the day is starting to get to me. Especially since I'm the oldest out of the group.

I read this a lot on forum sites but doesn't seem to happen when I ride. I just spent 4 back to back days riding in deep snow at Seeley Lake, 12 hr drive home, back to work the next day drilling teeth and played two hours of basketball that night, I'm feeling great. Maybe I'm just in shape, but I doubt that's it. When I ride I let the snowmobile do the work. You can ride your sled or you can let the sled ride you. I prefer to be the one doing the riding, and I'm not just going up and down a hill all day either. This is a big misconception people say about 4S. When a 2S friend gets stuck I'm usually the first one there to help. If it's on a steep hill I can park the SW within feet from them, while other like to put their sled in reverse as the descend from the hill. Navigating through trees is not difficult with a SW, I just don't understand why people say this. I'm not going to convince anyone and I'm not trying, this is just my opinion.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Our 2018 154 Summit feels the same as our 2015 Viper MTX 153 That is both are sporting our kits. But where I really see and feel the difference is when I have to actually lift the sled.
The Doo is sooooooo much easier to move around the shop, trailer and yes when stuck.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I read this a lot on forum sites but doesn't seem to happen when I ride. I just spent 4 back to back days riding in deep snow at Seeley Lake, 12 hr drive home, back to work the next day drilling teeth and played two hours of basketball that night, I'm feeling great. Maybe I'm just in shape, but I doubt that's it. When I ride I let the snowmobile do the work. You can ride your sled or you can let the sled ride you. I prefer to be the one doing the riding, and I'm not just going up and down a hill all day either. This is a big misconception people say about 4S. When a 2S friend gets stuck I'm usually the first one there to help. If it's on a steep hill I can park the SW within feet from them, while other like to put their sled in reverse as the descend from the hill. Navigating through trees is not difficult with a SW, I just don't understand why people say this. I'm not going to convince anyone and I'm not trying, this is just my opinion.

Have you ever spent a day on a new 850 or Mountain Cat? I'm sure you would have to notice a difference at the end of the day. If not you probably have some sort of kryptonite in your veins. :face-icon-small-ton

Seriously one of the only guys I've heard of who could ride a 4 stroke sled all day and go places others on 2 strokes couldn't was Bret Rasmussen. His riding techniques and style is perfection. Hence why he is still one of the best riders out there today.. And maybe you are a really good rider, I don't know. I just think I would have heard of you before, like in a magazine or a sled video or something.

I believe most guys are going to have more fun on a light sled versus a heavy sled. Yes they may go to a 4 stroke because of reliability issues with their previous 2 strokes, but they won't jump ship to a 4 stroke because it rides better and is easier to handle.. That is for sure.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Where are the big strong guys?

It's kind of weird. I'm 5'11" 175 pounds and I sit at a desk all day every day so I am in pretty poor shape with weak muscles etc. So I totally understand when I choose a 408 pound sled that only gets 110 HP at 8,000 feet. I'm a weakling, and kind of a lightweight, so it matches me better.

Where are the dudes who are 6'2" 240 lbs and actually work out and have some decent muscles and some decent stamina? Wouldn't those guys easily prefer a sled that gets 180 HP at 8,000 feet elevation even if it weighs 525 pounds?

What am I missing? Are you guys all a bunch of weaklings like me? I really thought the sidewinder was going to be the belle of the ball with all the big strong fit snowmobilers. Where was I wrong?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Motorbreath, I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else. It's my opinion. Yes, I've been on the other new sleds you mentioned, which are fun to ride and I think they are great sled and is also one of the reasons I was thinking of buying one instead of a SW, but after I rode the SW i have no regrets. I made the comment because I read something that I disagree with. I'm told I should feel more tired after I ride and now I'm told only Bret could ride a 4S and not be tired. I rode yesterday after work and I'm not tired, maybe it would be even less if I had been on a 2S, but I don't know how I could feel less tired then I do right now. We should go out and ride sometime.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
It's nice to be back over on the blue side! I miss it very much but, as a mountain rider, I don't feel like I left Yamaha. I feel like they left me. I rode long track Exciters. I oredered a new MSRX when they came out. I even ordered a 03 RX-1M and rode it from the winter of 2002-2003 until 2009-2010. I did every lightweight mod there was and loved the sound, I loved the power but once I hit 50 I knew I had to start looking for a lighter sled.

After hating them all my life, I ended up on M8 Cat just because their 800 engines seemed to have the best reliability. Then I sold my M8 in 2016 and upgraded to a Proclimb 153". Like many of you I long for the day when Yamaha will say, let's use some of our two stroke direct injection technology on a mountain sled. I have hoped for that for more than a decade and continue to hope. I would be back on a Yamaha immediately. I do like what their affiliation with Cat has done to the quality of Arctic Cats. Their fit and finish has improved greatly in the last four years.

I longed for the sound of the RX-1 four cylinder engine echoing through the canyons but, I couldn't go back because I was sick of synching carbs and having it want to run on three cylinders all the time. So, I found a cheap 07 Apex Mountain SE and proceeded to do the lightweight mods. It's now my sled for when the snow is more setup or I am with the family and not doing the super technical riding. So for the steep and deep in December and January I use the Proclimb and after the snow sets up I use the Apex Mountain.

Here's to hoping Yamaha will someday come out with a two stroke mountain sled again so I can come home. In the meantime, I'll be happy banging around the backcounty on my two stroke Cat while wondering if I might be happier on a Skidoo Gen 4 850?

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
been on yamaha for about 8 years now and bought my first 850 doo last year. absolutely love the 850. Hands down I pick it over all my apex's, nytro's and vipers.

I went on the demo sw ride last year and it's an amazing sled, but still a heavy yamaha. If you got powder to ride all day long, amazing sled. on trails it pushes in the corners still, sidehilling takes extra effort, everything takes extra effort including hanging on while she spools up, which by the way the sw for stock horsepower is wicked. Until yammi sheds some weight, I'll be on a 2 smoker.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I'm told I should feel more tired after I ride and now I'm told only Bret could ride a 4S and not be tired. I rode yesterday after work and I'm not tired, maybe it would be even less if I had been on a 2S, but I don't know how I could feel less tired then I do right now. We should go out and ride sometime.

A good friend of mine road sleds with Bret for a day. The only sled the cat dealer had they could loan him was an 1100 XF 141. He did demonstrations on that thing, and everyone struggled to stay with him. I seen on the gopro footage. It was insane. I'm sure he isn't the only guy that can do it, but like I said, he is the only one I've heard of.

I know you have posted up videos in the past. Do you mind sharing that again?

I would love to ride with you.. you are really really far away from me though. I'm planning on going to Carl Kuster's camp next winter, maybe you could join? I'm kind of doubting you, but at the same time you sound really good too. :face-icon-small-hap

Sorry for hi-jacking...

Judging by the teaser video, Yamaha is looking to impress drag racers?? With old tech?.. I'm not sure if they will even change anything in the mountain segment in 19. Maybe the mono-rail will make an appearance in 2020... just like how the drop and roll chain case had to wait a year. I think if they do anything, it'll be a special edition with more horsepower.. All it takes is a reprogramming of the ecu after all.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
A good friend of mine road sleds with Bret for a day. The only sled the cat dealer had they could loan him was an 1100 XF 141. He did demonstrations on that thing, and everyone struggled to stay with him. I seen on the gopro footage. It was insane. I'm sure he isn't the only guy that can do it, but like I said, he is the only one I've heard of.

I know you have posted up videos in the past. Do you mind sharing that again?

I would love to ride with you.. you are really really far away from me though. I'm planning on going to Carl Kuster's camp next winter, maybe you could join? I'm kind of doubting you, but at the same time you sound really good too. :face-icon-small-hap

Sorry for hi-jacking...

Judging by the teaser video, Yamaha is looking to impress drag racers?? With old tech?.. I'm not sure if they will even change anything in the mountain segment in 19. Maybe the mono-rail will make an appearance in 2020... just like how the drop and roll chain case had to wait a year. I think if they do anything, it'll be a special edition with more horsepower.. All it takes is a reprogramming of the ecu after all.

Keep in mind, the contract with Cat is up after the 2019 model year.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
It was supposed to be a 5 year agreement starting in 2014.
My guess is its been extended or renewed.

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
It's kind of weird. I'm 5'11" 175 pounds and I sit at a desk all day every day so I am in pretty poor shape with weak muscles etc. So I totally understand when I choose a 408 pound sled that only gets 110 HP at 8,000 feet. I'm a weakling, and kind of a lightweight, so it matches me better.

Where are the dudes who are 6'2" 240 lbs and actually work out and have some decent muscles and some decent stamina? Wouldn't those guys easily prefer a sled that gets 180 HP at 8,000 feet elevation even if it weighs 525 pounds?

What am I missing? Are you guys all a bunch of weaklings like me? I really thought the sidewinder was going to be the belle of the ball with all the big strong fit snowmobilers. Where was I wrong?
It's a niche market. But I have to say it's more about riding style and throttle control then brute strength to ride the 4S. I have a heavily modded 2013 M1100T, which weighs within 2 lbs of my 2017 King Cat (Sidewinder with different clutches and skis). I'm 50, 235 lbs in my skivvis, so not a gym rat by any means. Also require surgery on both shoulders and my left knee, so the mileage is racking up. But I ride with a group of guys that include a sidekick Axys 174, a sidekick Axys 163 (both running 50/50 Vp111&91), a Doo XM 163 and an 850 165, and finally two Cats - one is a 925 162", the other a 17 Mountain Cat. I've no problems riding the King Cat for 4 days straight AFTER I set up the suspension, which was poorly set up from factory. And although the 2S's are a bit lighter, two guys in my group are buying 4S for the upcoming season...so they can't be that bad.
But we've been blessed with good snow this season, so maybe I'd feel differently on crusty hardpack.

fc8464

Lifetime Membership
Nov 18, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska 99725
It's a niche market. But I have to say it's more about riding style and throttle control then brute strength to ride the 4S. I have a heavily modded 2013 M1100T, which weighs within 2 lbs of my 2017 King Cat (Sidewinder with different clutches and skis). I'm 50, 235 lbs in my skivvis, so not a gym rat by any means. Also require surgery on both shoulders and my left knee, so the mileage is racking up. But I ride with a group of guys that include a sidekick Axys 174, a sidekick Axys 163 (both running 50/50 Vp111&91), a Doo XM 163 and an 850 165, and finally two Cats - one is a 925 162", the other a 17 Mountain Cat. I've no problems riding the King Cat for 4 days straight AFTER I set up the suspension, which was poorly set up from factory. And although the 2S's are a bit lighter, two guys in my group are buying 4S for the upcoming season...so they can't be that bad.
But we've been blessed with good snow this season, so maybe I'd feel differently on crusty hardpack.

Are you sticking with your M1100T? I have not been real fond on my 15 Viper EVO Turbo.

Premium Features