• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

suspension FYI for 2018 mnt cat riders

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
A buddy of mine has the new 800 cat and while we were out riding you could hear a load ratcheting noise when the suspension was would compress while hitting jumps or holes. We thought the track was loose at first, but when we checked it was fair tight. At closer look the center lugs on the track were all chewed up but there was nothing in the track. Took it to the dealer and they discovered the limiter strap bolts were too long and in the wrong way so that on heavy compression the bolt would contact the track and chew it up. So Cat has gone good for the track and they put in shorter bolts and installed them the other way. Could have been a fluke manufacturing thing or an over site. either way I would check it out.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I am confused,
How does the limiter strap bolt touch the paddles?!
Only thing that can physically contact the outside of the track is the tunnel and heat exchange....

Water

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I think he's talking about the small little nubs on the inside of the track

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Good catch, I checked mine and it was doing it on right side. Pretty sure it was the top bolt, as that was the strap that has a tendency to bend forward when the suspension compresses ( the anti-stab bar prevents the straps from rotating to far forward on the bottom.)
I ended up measuring the bolt length to nut distance with a pair of calipers. Then cut the limiter strap bolts so that they are just a hair over flush with the nylock nuts. I just did all four of them and also turned the top bolt around. A quick and easy fix!

TNTCOPP

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Buckley, WA
Yep - mine are backwards too - and a lot longer than they need to be for sure.
Must have had a new guy building that day , and pulling bolts from the wrong bin - can you spell quality control!

Last edited:

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
checked mine last friday while adding different scratchers...sure enough. contact being made by top set of bolts being backwards. eating at the drive nubs....grrr

so far i've had loose bolts in the skid and now the drive nubs eaten off my track. not impressed.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Like so
3c1d8d3733a55b04fcb36995456b3818.jpg

Alpha ......

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
That is a pic of my 14.
My 18 has the bolts in the opposite direction and i have 75PSI in my front shock, that may be why my bolts haven't touched the track.
Question to the OP, what is the pressure in ur front shock?

Alpha ......

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^yup.
not 100% sure on the 18 but on the proclimb its only a 1 beer job. jack up front, remove two bolts (dont have to detach spindle), use a good sticky grease. a difference you can feel when done.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
heres another one: 3 little bolts holding rear axle together, 8mm head with 10mm nut.
those supposed to be loose? 2 outa 2 sleds here...

Premium Features