• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18 MC EB overheating

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
just to follow up with my original post. someone suggested to check my coolant levels (which i did) and they were low...like not visible in the neck. I filled my coolant level up to the "hot" line and ran it this past weekend and never had an issue. ran about 130° with scratchers down on a rather warm weekend 35-40 degrees. sled ran 112 to 125 in deep snow. so seems like that was the issue.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
just to follow up with my original post. someone suggested to check my coolant levels (which i did) and they were low...like not visible in the neck. I filled my coolant level up to the "hot" line and ran it this past weekend and never had an issue. ran about 130° with scratchers down on a rather warm weekend 35-40 degrees. sled ran 112 to 125 in deep snow. so seems like that was the issue.
130° on the trail is not bad on Ice.
112-125° in deep snow is pretty warm, mine will barely get that warm on a groomed trail with scratchers down.
Mine is 98-105° off trail.

Water

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
130° on the trail is not bad on Ice.
112-125° in deep snow is pretty warm, mine will barely get that warm on a groomed trail with scratchers down.
Mine is 98-105° off trail.

Water
No different than my 16 pro temps. I'm ok with 120's. I was running 160s on trail last week and 130s off. So it def made a difference. I haven't checked my coolant since this last trip tho to see if I lost any...will do that tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
overheating

Has anyone tried porting track to lower temps. Know of 2 sleds that this worked well on. Been considering doing this.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I cut the bottom of my snow flap off.
Long trail rides 5+miles my sled runs 10-15° warmer. 130's- 140's if going up hill..
Put an additional 180lb rider on my sled (effectively lowering the snow flap 6in.) and ran the same 25mile course. Sled ran 113° most of the way and up to 123° when going up hill. Twice the weight on the sled on the same day and sled ran much cooler.
If i rode trails more often, i would keep the flap longer.

Alpha Cat......

M
Oct 23, 2013
I have a new 2017 m8000 lost coolant
first ride 15 minutes emptied the coolant bottle but
no heat light, going to try getting air out of system first

P
Nov 26, 2007
Be careful what you wish for...

Everyone demands more and more capable MTN sled...so they make them. They are not designed to ride on the trail. These sleds are getting to the point where they are single purpose machines made for powder riding only.

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
I cut the bottom of my snow flap off.
Long trail rides 5+miles my sled runs 10-15° warmer. 130's- 140's if going up hill..
Put an additional 180lb rider on my sled (effectively lowering the snow flap 6in.) and ran the same 25mile course. Sled ran 113° most of the way and up to 123° when going up hill. Twice the weight on the sled on the same day and sled ran much cooler.
If i rode trails more often, i would keep the flap longer.

Alpha Cat......

I agree, the flap is to short. While riding down the trail you can see most of the snow goes out under the flap. If all that snow could end up in the tunnel these sleds would stay cooler.
I notice at 25 mph mine runs hot,and on the same trail speed up to 30 35 and the temp goes down.
Tar

M
Feb 6, 2018
Strait through style can dropped temp consistently 20 def

With the stock suit case my sled would get hot if I let it sit for more then a minute and run consistently 130-135 down the trail with scratchers down.. after putting a strait through race style can on I can now leave the sled sit for literally ten minutes and it never gets above 135-140 sitting and runs 105–115 down the trail without scratchers. Now all be it I was also having issues with he oil trapped in the muffler catching fire when I stopped which was the main reason for replacing the muffler.. it was really nice to have the added bonus of running cooler. As I was about to order a vent kit and cut up those sexy lines...

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
With the stock suit case my sled would get hot if I let it sit for more then a minute and run consistently 130-135 down the trail with scratchers down.. after putting a strait through race style can on I can now leave the sled sit for literally ten minutes and it never gets above 135-140 sitting and runs 105–115 down the trail without scratchers. Now all be it I was also having issues with he oil trapped in the muffler catching fire when I stopped which was the main reason for replacing the muffler.. it was really nice to have the added bonus of running cooler. As I was about to order a vent kit and cut up those sexy lines...

What can did u use? Thanx

M
Oct 23, 2013
MY SLED A 2017 M8000 PUKES OUT COOLANT
FROM OVERFLOW HOSE I DID RAISE FRONT OF SLED
AND LET IT IDLE TO TRY AND LET AIR OUT OF COOLING SYSTEM
WHEN I WAS DONE THAT, IT STILL PUKING COOLANT OUT
ANY IDEAS THANKS ?

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
ANY IDEAS THANKS ?

Take the coolant cap off and see if it is circulating. If not is there air bubbles when you start it? If so you likely have a pinched o-ring in the head which is causing the pressure to build up in the cooling system.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
ANY IDEAS THANKS ?

If its over filled it will do the same thing. Make sure the system has the air purged out, fill it and run it. If it expels coolant then stops check the level, if its visible in the tank that's it happy spot. If it continues to expel coolant either the rad cap is leaking or you are getting combustion gases in the system. I would try a rad cap either way cheapest and easiest.

T

Toyotajoe

Dec 12, 2016
NL, Canada
How has the cooling capacity of the Mtn Cat held up now that we are well into the winter season? Thoughts from others would be appreciated.

I still find my sled getting warmer than I believe is normal considering some of the snow depths/conditions I have been riding in. The sled does very well off trail in the powder, averaging temps in the 110-120 range. On the trail however, that number climbs to 135-145 when cruising at 50-60 mph with several inches of fresh snow sitting on a groomed trail base. Oddly enough, where the trail is tighter and winding through the trees, speeds drop to around 35-40 mph and the temps also drop to around 110. This is the direct opposite of every other sled I’ve owned. Rule of thumb is to speed up to add cooling capacity, but this doesn’t seem to be the case with my Mtn Cat. I believe there is a lean RPM section in the fuel map that increases temperatures in the 6500 rpm range - this is why I’m seeing higher temps at higher rpms.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

Does anyone have any experience with adding the larger, longer cooler to the 153” chassis? This might be an option I pursue over the summer to make the sled a little more trailable next season. While I understand this is a deep powder sled, there are times where I need to ride 20-40 kms of trail to get to the good stuff.

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
How has the cooling capacity of the Mtn Cat held up now that we are well into the winter season? Thoughts from others would be appreciated.

I still find my sled getting warmer than I believe is normal considering some of the snow depths/conditions I have been riding in. The sled does very well off trail in the powder, averaging temps in the 110-120 range. On the trail however, that number climbs to 135-145 when cruising at 50-60 mph with several inches of fresh snow sitting on a groomed trail base. Oddly enough, where the trail is tighter and winding through the trees, speeds drop to around 35-40 mph and the temps also drop to around 110. This is the direct opposite of every other sled I’ve owned. Rule of thumb is to speed up to add cooling capacity, but this doesn’t seem to be the case with my Mtn Cat. I believe there is a lean RPM section in the fuel map that increases temperatures in the 6500 rpm range - this is why I’m seeing higher temps at higher rpms.

Has anyone noticed anything similar?

Does anyone have any experience with adding the larger, longer cooler to the 153” chassis? This might be an option I pursue over the summer to make the sled a little more trailable next season. While I understand this is a deep powder sled, there are times where I need to ride 20-40 kms of trail to get to the good stuff.
145° is fine, no need to worry.
My sled runs hotter at 50-60mph than it does at 30-40mph.
If i add 180lbs to my sled it runs even cooler down the trail (snowflap is closer to the ground).
I have seen varying temps.
Yesterday(20° ambient), 113-120° (normal for me) up the trail at 30mph during the kids ride, today same trail(38° ambient), it went up to 145° then slowly dropped to 125°. That is not normal though.
Of trail and its 98-105° all day.

Just over 700miles, gas, oil and polaris skis. Been an awesome sled.

Last edited:
T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
Mine has been running on the hot side. For example I rode in 6" of fresh on groomed trail and it runs hot. 14,000 sled and I have to drag my flipping boots to keep it cool.
Damn B.S. if you ask me.
Tar.

bcsnowdog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
frank mountain bc
On my 18 if it gets hot on a packed trail i drop one scratcher and it's good. Really no worse than my 14 M8 or 16 m6000 way better than my 13 pro.
18 MC 153 1800 kms not one issue still on original belt.

Premium Features