• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Planning trip out west. Need suggestions.

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
Hey guys, new to the forum. I am planning a trip out west with four of my buddies. Three sleds and two snow bikes. We were thinking about going to Wyoming this year and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. We went to Wolf Creek CO last year and it was a blast. We are looking for somewhere with good tree riding and some open areas for hill climbing. The cheaper the lodging the better. We were thinking about hiring a guide for a day or two and then exploring the rest ourselves. Any suggestions you guys have are very appreciated. I have done a little reading on Togwotee and Jackson Hole but the Togwotee lodge is pretty expensive so I would have to find somewhere else to stay and I am curious if there are other places to ride around Jackson other than Jackson Hole. Our trip will be January 12-22 2018.

Thanks guys!!

S
Nov 27, 2014
Houghton, MI
How is the riding in the Tog? Is it mostly wide open areas or can it get pretty technical? A lot of the videos I see are of people riding in wide open fairly flat areas with mountains all around them...

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Alpine, WY. You can ride from the Three River Motel, no trailering to the snow, rooms with kitchens. You can do it cheap. Lots of tree riding close to town for the bikes, e.g., North Murphy. Most bang for the buck, if that's what you're after.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
How is the riding in the Tog? Is it mostly wide open areas or can it get pretty technical? A lot of the videos I see are of people riding in wide open fairly flat areas with mountains all around them...

Tog is huge, and you can find anything you want, both close to the highway, and away. You'll trailer every day from Dubois. Crooked Creek has cabins for a group, but wasn't down there last year after the fire, don't know what the trees are like now. Two lowest cost options around Tog.

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
Togwotee has all types of riding. It also seems like everybody goes there so it gets tracked up quick near the tog lodge. If you go stay at lava mtn. lodge and ride from there or stay in Dubois like decker said and trailer to a lot, that's the cheapest. we stayed at twin pines in Dubois I think it was 80-90 per night, nice place.

GSPLewie

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2016
Snowy Range wouldn't be a bad idea either. Have a nice hotel (Old Corral), great places to eat and then riding is pretty incredible.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Alpine would be my suggestion. You can ride from town, or choose to drive a little north or south and get into new areas. Lots of good options there. Eric

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If you do the snowies, watch for the wind - can shut down safe access to parts for days at a time. Unless you stay in Albany, or want to ride different parts, you'll trailer. Parking can be a pain on weekends. When it's great, it's great. South end had fire this summer, but, really, lots have fire this year. Opening bow in SW MT will be crazy dry, lots of smoke again. Hopefully no new fires this weekend.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Lots of options. The Snowies have alot of good tree riding, plenty of meadows and some climbing. Pretty good chance of good snow. You can stay in Laramie for cheap and ride from the greenrock lot (45 minute drive from town). Other option is to stay in Saratoga on the west side which opens up the option of riding either the Snowies or the Madres, both are about a half hour drive. Its a quicker trail ride to the goods from the west side as well. It is typically windy in the Snowies but you should be able to enjoy yourselves in the trees if thats the case.

Togwotee has everything. Dubois has cheap lodging and you can trailer to riding in 20-45 minutes. I love tree riding and Togwotee maybe lacks a little here compared to other locations, but makes up for it with some pretty great boodocking, drainages, and cornices. Have never had a bad trip here.

Alpine has everything as well, just on a larger scale. It's steep, tougher to navigate, and pretty dangerous compared to many other places IMO. I would highly recommend a guide or local here. Snow sets up here fairly fast, but thats really not big deal, plenty of terrain to explore and soft snow to find in the trees.

You should be able to wait till the 11th and still book a room at all 3 places, I would go where ever the conditions are gonna be the best, they all rock :face-icon-small-coo

Dont expect to find tree riding much better than Wolf Creek :face-icon-small-hap

dooman92

Lifetime Membership
Mar 1, 2010
West trip

The bighorns are a few hours closer from Houghton. Several lodging options around Burgess Junction. Lots of riding options. Although snow is sometimes questionable in the bighorns.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Alpine or even better, Thayne/Bedford would be my choice for sure. Drive right past the bunny hills and go for the goods!

P
Nov 26, 2007
If i was driving that far i would be headed for Tog. Better amenities for a long stay at the resorts. Snowies has become a crowded mess imo..

Premium Features