• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sidewinder MTX. The real deal

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
First official Corporate demos were held in Revelstoke, British Columbia last weekend. Check this out for the participants impressions. Conditions were prime for a real big mountain experience.

It isn't even related to a Viper MTX. Its such a different sled. I will say this. Its a sled I could totally ride as a stock sled all winter long. I really think Snowest should put it in the Mountain 800 class and would win hands down IMO ;)

Cheers
RS

http://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat/109630-wicked-day-sidewinder.html

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Peter........thank you for your continued support of the brand. and yes it does take a while with the Japanese. but its so worth it usually and this is a big win IMO.
Cheers

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
It isn't even related to a Viper MTX. Its such a different sled. I will say this. Its a sled I could totally ride as a stock sled all winter long. I really think Snowest should put it in the Mountain 800 class and would win hands down IMO ;)
l[/URL]

Man, I am so conflicted when reading reports like this one. On one hand I am happy as heck, but the other is a little more maddening. I had my butt on a Yamaha for over 25 years, I felt like I bleed blue. Until I came home from my trip out west last year feeling defeated and worn out. So, last January I traded in my boosted Nytro full of aftermarket goodies (including some of MountainTech's) for a 2016 Summit. I had ZERO regrets until the details were released on the 2017 Sidewinder. Boy, I think I would have really loved a Sidewinder BTX. Now reading this report, I am even more convinced that I would have...

Any demo rides like this planned in the US? (I'll be in West Yellowstone between Christmas and New Years. :face-icon-small-hap)

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Peter........thank you for your continued support of the brand. and yes it does take a while with the Japanese. but its so worth it usually and this is a big win IMO.
Cheers

You are so right about the Japanese! Different mentality and philosophies. Onwards from here. Sidewinder is a milestone.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
It's the real deal alright. My buddy just bought one after we were invited to ride on the Yamaha power tour. He had a 174 turbo pro and absolutely loves his new sidewinder. I have no problem hopping on his sidewinder. Good job Yamaha, great sled.

IMG_1095.jpg

A
Jan 28, 2010
I would also like to see it in action on some technical tree riding. I love the power of my viper but it is harder to ride in tight trees. Just don't see why the winder would handle any different.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Red deer Alberta
I own that sidewinder and rode it in the trees, no issues and will see if we can get tree riding videos on our next ride, its no Axy or 850 for immediate flick ability but it will absolutely go everywhere my buddie's go on theirs. We never rode the trees much this weekend cuz we had a whole mountain of untouched 2 foot pow so why would we, plus I just bought the sled and I needed some ride time to get used to it after riding a pro for 4 years. The sled is Yamahas best sled built to date in my opinion.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
Not a tree insight on the video. Looks like a flashback from 2006.

So if you roll into a meadow with 2' of powder you turn around and head for the bush? Wish there were more riders like you. Leave the meadows for our group, I'll smash that sh!t all day when the suns out.

cacsrx1

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Highmore SD
So if you roll into a meadow with 2' of powder you turn around and head for the bush? Wish there were more riders like you. Leave the meadows for our group, I'll smash that sh!t all day when the suns out.

In ten minutes when the meadow you are in is pounded flat do you then head back to the truck? The video looks like the same type of riding the boosted apexes were doing in 06 and Rx1tons in 03.

niner

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Lacombe Alberta
In ten minutes when the meadow you are in is pounded flat do you then head back to the truck? The video looks like the same type of riding the boosted apexes were doing in 06 and Rx1tons in 03.

Sorry where we ride when it's sunny out we can ride all day and never touch another track. We ride the trees on socked in days. But this thread isn't about where we ride it's about what we ride. And I would have no worries about taking a sidewinder in the trees. This weekend we had bluebird skies and deep snow. Maybe next trip it will be socked in and get some tree riding video.

Prairie Dog

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Beautiful BC
I own that sidewinder and rode it in the trees, no issues and will see if we can get tree riding videos on our next ride, its no Axy or 850 for immediate flick ability but it will absolutely go everywhere my buddie's go on theirs. We never rode the trees much this weekend cuz we had a whole mountain of untouched 2 foot pow so why would we, plus I just bought the sled and I needed some ride time to get used to it after riding a pro for 4 years. The sled is Yamahas best sled built to date in my opinion.

In 2' of pow like that did you ever find it not getting enuf air with the stock intake?? I haven't had mine in any deep snow yet so want to know if I should be putting in the extra frog skins on the intake

RMKelly

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2012
Iowa
Nope

You head to the steep stuff and use the N/A sleds for traction.:face-icon-small-hap

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Gonna add one to the stable in 2018. Really love the 50th Anniversary Red, but am hoping for a "few" refinements and I'm in! Looks like Yamaha's "factory" turbo is a real winner. Always loved the four strokes, hated the handling. Looks like they got this one right.

Premium Features