• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

17’ axys flooded, won’t start

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
17’ axys flooded, won’t start

400ish miles. Had two random bogs last time I rode the sled, other then that it has ran awesome until today.

Was in a heated shop all night, started it, warmed it a little, rode onto deck and shut off. Drive 20 miles to ride, go to start it in the deck, fires and dies. Plugs are dripping wet. Fresh plugs, fires and dies, I’ve tired all the tricks that would work on my carb race sleds and no luck. Machine has great spark. Over half tank of fuel.

What is going on?

How is it getting so much fuel?

A friend said his 16’ did the same thing and needed a reflash?

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
400ish miles. Had two random bogs last time I rode the sled, other then that it has ran awesome until today.

Was in a heated shop all night, started it, warmed it a little, rode onto deck and shut off. Drive 20 miles to ride, go to start it in the deck, fires and dies. Plugs are dripping wet. Fresh plugs, fires and dies, I’ve tired all the tricks that would work on my carb race sleds and no luck. Machine has great spark. Over half tank of fuel.

What is going on?

How is it getting so much fuel?

A friend said his 16’ did the same thing and needed a reflash?

Guessing relays, wiring problem (I'd look at the switches by the gas tank - disconnect and try again) or tight throttle cable.

cascadesnowjunky

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Kennewick WA
Hold the throttle wide open to start it after flooded, it shuts the injectors down so they won't spray fuel. I have seen this happen before.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Once you flood a fuel injected sled you're in for a battle. I noticed you said it has spark. I've found that if I pull a plug and check for spark that means the fuel pump and injectors just loaded up that cylinder while you were yanking on the rope looking for spark. I've found that pulling both plugs and making sure the kill switch or key is off you then pull until your arm falls off, leave it sit for a while pull again until your arm falls off, let sit for another half hour or so, install fresh plugs and try to start. DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE!! Works for me!!

S
Sep 16, 2016
I had the same problem on my 16 if i let it idle to long. To get it started, leave the kill switch down and hold the throttle pinned, then pull it over 5-10 times. Then raise the kill switch and fire it up normally. mine would usually start on the first pull after that.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
got it started, it sat for an hour or so, fresh plugs and maybe 100 pulls wfo like a flooded carb machine. Had a huge puddle of fuel under from out the exhaust by the time it would idle. If it had a carb I’d think I had stuck floats.

Now the question is what caused it? Did it not like me not completely warming it up to load it? One time fluke??

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Its not a fluke, Ive seen it more then once. exact same situation you described. It takes just the right situation for it to happen. Air temp sensor cools off faster then the warm engine, the ECM sees the cold air temp and over fuels the partially warmed up engine.

The first time it started and died, every time you tried starting it from that point on without holding the throttle wide open it just kept flooding it worse.

In the future.... if your sled starts and dies after you all ready had it running, just give its some throttle to give it some air. If it doesnt start in 3-4 pulls, hold it wide open so it doesnt food so bad it wont even run.

Feb 3, 2018
This is F***** b.s

This is a fuel injected sled FFS.

Why are these sleds flooding on cold start?

It's ridiculous that we have to do anything special to get these sleds to start.

At most it should need a few slow tugs on the recoil to get the engine rolled over and then hit E.S?

WHY do we have to accept this B.S as norm when you pay $14000 for a machine!!!

Feb 3, 2018
Whenever I start my sled after it's sat overnight I now just squeeze throttle and pull it until it fires....if it's really cold it takes about 6-7 good pulls to fire.....:face-icon-small-con

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Welcome to owning an axys. Mine can be a huge PITA to start all the time. Like mentioned. Turn off key/kill switch. pull holding throttle WOT a few times clears it out.

My 18 generally requires a little throttle to start most of the time.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
should just stick with my iqr that has probably 10k on it, at least when it won't start there is a diagnose-able problem.

I rode the axys yesterday and it was fine other then one time mid day it took probably 8 pulls to start, first pull it fired and died, 7-8 more pulls and it started a idled fine.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
How does holding the throttle wide open kill the fuel. Confused?

The ECM sees the TPS sensor is wide open throttle at start up, goes into "clear flood mode" and turns off the injectors.

Every modern fuel injected vehicle does that same thing.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just went through this with a 17 Axys, pulled and pulled, no start but had fuel and had spark. In the end the TPS was out of adjustment, adjusted it and fixed!

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
This is the very reason I tried trading my 18 axys for a 850 doo this year.

rode colorado with 2 axys and 2 older 800 etecs. Those etecs would barely tug their ropes and they would pure like kittens.
both axys usually required multiple pulls all day to start.

i love the way the poo rides, but I definitely think doo has better technology in the EFI department

Premium Features