• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Other options to BCA link Radio? (Upgrading to HAM/VHF)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I would sure buy a properly tuned antenna along with a little 12" jumper cable to connect antenna to radio, if you build it :)
DON'T LET ME FORGET about this project come late spring or summer.
I am willing to take this on and fiddle with it over the summer if I DON'T FORGET ABOUT IT!!

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
DON'T LET ME FORGET about this project come late spring or summer.
I am willing to take this on and fiddle with it over the summer if I DON'T FORGET ABOUT IT!!

You got it my friend!
I think this will be an interesting project and maybe there will be some time to test this out over the summer on the ATVs :)

txinmt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 17, 2013
Montana USA
Okay. I have a question about all this. I have been very interested in having comms while riding sleds both at work, and with family. I gave up on this idea when I learned that radios and phones both interfere with avalanche transceivers. Isn't that the case? Wouldn't these radios interfere with you avalanche transceivers?

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Okay. I have a question about all this. I have been very interested in having comms while riding sleds both at work, and with family. I gave up on this idea when I learned that radios and phones both interfere with avalanche transceivers. Isn't that the case? Wouldn't these radios interfere with you avalanche transceivers?

The tests I've done show no interference except with the radio transmitting while touching the transceiver that is in search mode. My radio lives in my pack, and I have not experienced any interference with this configuration.

My sled kills my transceiver's search range big time though. Practice scenarios on sleds revealed that I need to stop the engine frequently if using a sled to search a debris field since range drops to ~10m with the engine running.

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
I leave my radio in my pack also. I have my beacon in front in the sling. I also noticed the interference if the two get close to each other while using. The Boefangs work well in a pack with mic clipped in front.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Okay. I have a question about all this. Wouldn't these radios interfere with you avalanche transceivers?
They "Shouldn't" cause any interference when in the passive RECEIVE MODE.

Unlike your cell phone which is actively doing "Things" even while it just sits there, your HAM Radio isn't processing data, like your GPS location or tracking its contact with the local Cell Tower.

But..

When you move into an active BEACON SEARCH, I would power OFF everything other than my searching beacon.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
They "Shouldn't" cause any interference when in the passive RECEIVE MODE.

Unlike your cell phone which is actively doing "Things" even while it just sits there, your HAM Radio isn't processing data, like your GPS location or tracking its contact with the local Cell Tower.

But..

When you move into an active BEACON SEARCH, I would power OFF everything other than my searching beacon.

While that may be ideal from an electronic perspective, I would argue not to take the time to turn the radio off. Instead, remove the uncertainty: turn "it might interfere" to "I've repeatedly practiced and never found a problem". Practice with your gear. If your radio causes interference with the searching beacon while the radio is in your pack, consider replacing it. Not only am I concerned with time in a search, the ability to use radio coms during a search is helpful in a group. This is particularly true if it's windy, the debris pile is large, or there are other factors making for challenging communication. Yelling doesn't always get through to the other searchers.

Just something to think about.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
While that may be ideal from an electronic perspective, I would argue not to take the time to turn the radio off. Instead, remove the uncertainty: turn "it might interfere" to "I've repeatedly practiced and never found a problem". Practice with your gear. If your radio causes interference with the searching beacon while the radio is in your pack, consider replacing it. Not only am I concerned with time in a search, the ability to use radio coms during a search is helpful in a group. This is particularly true if it's windy, the debris pile is large, or there are other factors making for challenging communication. Yelling doesn't always get through to the other searchers.

Just something to think about.

As I do NOT use a HAM Radio while Snowmobiling, I can't NOT say whether or not this is in fact a problem yet.

As I am sure you read in previous posts, i will be working on a HAM Radio setup for sledding this summer. Once I have an operational rig, THEN i can begin to actually TEST it and see what the interference patterns are. Until then "SHOULD" is the honest best answer this HAM can offer.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
I purchasesd the 25watt leixon note last month, don't keep whip to close to your face when you transmit.lol. . It even scratches the tv singnal when trying it in the house, but dam it's pretty strong..

Told a buddy across town to turn on his radio, he has the little cheap Costco ones, and he said he heard me nice and clear.. Was 12 miles apart in a city

My 10 watt radios zastone and 889g are easy to program and I like the Gps on 889, but the big leixon note is a different league of distance.. It's only uhf for now, talk of a dual band to come out soon..16 inch whip

Last edited:

Wintertime

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2014
Casper, WY
Over the weekend I trouble with my Bao Feng radios. I have the BCA link channels programmed and when trying to communicate with one I could hear them but they could not hear me. I'm not sure what could be wrong? I have two radios setup the same way. My two work together great and have not had any trouble. I'm not sure if it is a setting or something I'm missing? In the passed when riding with others with different radios not knowing the frequency they are using I would just scan and find it and that worked out.

Phat Cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2007
Lacombe, Ab
Over the weekend I trouble with my Bao Feng radios. I have the BCA link channels programmed and when trying to communicate with one I could hear them but they could not hear me. I'm not sure what could be wrong? I have two radios setup the same way. My two work together great and have not had any trouble. I'm not sure if it is a setting or something I'm missing? In the passed when riding with others with different radios not knowing the frequency they are using I would just scan and find it and that worked out.

It sounds like your privacy tones are not entered. Take a look at columns F,G, and H. Enter in the same as what I have. Or if you want send me a PM with your email address and I will send you my frequency list if you want it.

Attachments

• frequencies.PNG
    frequencies.PNG
    56.9 KB · Views: 66

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Right channel wrong privacy code?

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just line your helmet with foil....
We're snowmobilers...not much there to damage...

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
But what about the cat?

11855849_926704674062382_6682117574380298622_n-500x375.jpg

Premium Features