• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snoscoot Review - 2 rides

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Hey Everybody,
We finally got enough snow in Utah to get out and use the Snoscoot a couple times. I figured I would share my thoughts so far on the little machine. My kid riding is an 8 year old of smaller than average stature with above average general riding experience and above average skill / aggression. I'll try to post some followup videos when I get time.

1. Absolutely no regrets. The main purpose is to give the kid the best tool possible for him to become a better rider sooner and therefore a better chance of getting addicted to snowmobiling instead of getting addicted to video games. I can confidently say after just two rides that this machine absolutely fulfills that purpose. Had it been around when he was 5 and first showed signs of boredom of the 120, he would be a better rider than he is today. With the other current options being a 120 or a full size sled, there is no doubt that my kid has already learned tons about riding in just two rides that he would not have learned on either of those two other options.

2. It is a tractor, not a floater. It sinks, not floats, when the powder gets deep. Let's have realistic expectations, though, at 9 HP and a 10" X 90" track, nobody really thought it would glide effortlessly across 2 feet of blower pow right? So far, it seems that the optimal level of powder that is enough for a kid to learn how to ride powder on it while not being too much so that the machine just completely can't handle it is going to be right around 8-10 inches, varying of course with snow density. I want to be careful saying this, though, because I can also tell that my kid, as expected, has no skill at riding powder yet. I don't want to say the machine is not capable when really it is my kid that is not capable. I'm anxious to see as he gets better at riding powder just how capable this sled really is. It is a great tractor. The capabilities go way up when it is riding in even one single snowmobile track. As it gets harder and harder, the tractor gets incredibly capable. He climbed a hill yesterday very steep and quite long because he was able to find one really packed track up it. I couldn't believe that 9 HP got him up that steep of a hill. Also, if he's riding in a track and then gets off in the powder and gets stuck, I know that getting him out is no more than just getting him back to the track so I just push him with it on full throttle and then the second that track hits something to track poach on that it will climb right up on top and he's off to the races.

3. I don't think it goes as fast as some have advertised. I had heard it advertised around 30 mph. I'm having my doubts about that and I'm thinking realistically it might be closer to 25 mph. I am at quite a bit of elevation though so maybe the flatlanders and Alaska guys will have better luck at sea level.

4. Speaking of flatlanders, the track does a great job of snow evacuation. So good though, that I'm wondering if it needs to get some extra idler wheels or ice scratchers for it. I guess we will see how the hyfax holds up over the next little while.

5. The rear suspension has 3 adjustment points that provides a really big range. On setting 1 it is very soft and supple. Setting 3 is very rigid. I'm 175 and it doesn't sag when I sit on it, I have to actually bounce a bit to get it to go down. Setting 2 is obviously in the middle of those. I find this really cool so I can turn it to setting 1 when my daughter (5 yo) is first starting out on it, but then have 3 available for bigger people as well. Speaking of my daughter, she has already ridden it and the transition from her 120 (2015 Arctic Cat) seems to have been very seamless. I'll try to keep her on the 120 for a little while longer, but I'm sure she will insist pretty soon.

My kid's enthusiasm and confidence for riding are through the roof with this sled. Two comments from yesterday tell the whole story. At one point he said "Dad, I think my sled might have even more power than yours. I'm definitely riding it more aggressive." Of course I had a few reminders to give him after saying that, but it just shows how he is on top of the world and thinking he is one of the big boys and riding as hard as he can on this thing. Later I was talking to my Dad and he came by and told me that he had just done the best powder turn of his life and I missed it!! Oh no!!! He's not really good at them yet, but he's already understanding a little bit of the what, why, and how of powder turns and he is already a lot better at them than he was a week ago and a lot better at them than he would be if I was still making him choose between the 120 and the 600.

I'm not saying this sled is perfect. But I'm saying that if you can afford it, and your kids are anywhere in this age range, you HAVE to get one. It is the best $4k I have spent in a long time. Even I am sitting here with a renewed enthusiasm for snowmobiling knowing how much more involved my family can be in my snowmobiling life because of this darn sled.

Last edited:
M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Me2

Great write-up; I couldn't agree more; As parents in this day & age, I believe it's very important to try to get our kids involved in outdoor winter activities & off the couch, away from the electronic machines! My 8yo daughter was a bit hesitant at first, but we're getting there; Nothing better than cold fresh air & hot chocolate afterwards. I did not realize the RTS was adjustable for weight, thanks for that info. And thanks AC/Yamaha:face-icon-small-coo

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My kid's enthusiasm and confidence for riding are through the roof with this sled. Two comments from yesterday tell the whole story. At one point he said "Dad, I think my sled might have even more power than yours. I'm definitely riding it more aggressive."

Thats the most important thing you could possibly HOPE FOR!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Love it!!!!

This post is all the more reason I'm hoping that tomorrow's 2019 reveal from Polaris is something in between these 200s and a 600cc.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Oh man that would be amazing if it were a 300 or 400 cc sled tomorrow. I'm not getting my hopes up too much as it seems much more realistic for it to be another 200, but even so, that would be great as it would seem to mean that the 200 level of sled is absolutely here to stay and won't be another fly by night model that is here for 3 years and then gone like the original snoscoot and the freestyle.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Video

Well I finally got at least one video posted. Those of you who have taken video can attest that it never looks as steep on the video as it does in person. FWIW, Google Earth estimates this hill at about 300 feet run and 100 feet rise. You can tell that we have found a spot that is quite packed and that is the reason he can get up such a steep hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwqd_VuNOxY&t=1s

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Learning powder turns on the scoot

Hey Guys,
A few more weeks and I have gotten a little more video showing how dang awesome this sled is for these kids. Below is a video of my 8 year old as he is now learning how to do powder turns on this thing. I am confident that there isn't a single other sled on the (new) market that I could have purchased instead that would have him learning this. I am so grateful Yamaha released this thing. It is teaching this kid things that can only be learned on a sled that is the right size, and right now, this one is (more power would always be welcome of course though :face-icon-small-hap)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5Ma4yVaAs

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Deep Powder on the Scoot

Here is another video. We had one storm come through that just dumped on the valley and put down 14" so we just headed down to the local park real quick. You can see that the snow is deep enough to be up over the bumper at times and the scoot just does great through it. For what it's worth, I (180 lbs) actually made the first tracks through this park and the little thing had no problem even hauling my fat butt around the park and up the little hill to get out of the park. I was really impressed with it.

So it can definitely handle a foot of nice fresh snow (especially at just 4,500 feet elevation) but beyond that, we will have to wait and see. I'm confident it can't really do much in 2 feet of fresh. I'm guessing the crossover point happens probably just a few inches above 1 foot.

I continue to be really impressed by this thing and really happy with the purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrW6aP73K80

J
Feb 27, 2009
Michigan
New Sno Scoots

The new Scoots just like the old ones will benefit big time with the addition of bigger plastic skis.

Attachments

• scoot 3 dec 2017.jpg
    scoot 3 dec 2017.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 49
  • scoot 4 dec 2017.jpg
    scoot 4 dec 2017.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 49
  • scoot outside Feb 2018.jpg
    scoot outside Feb 2018.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Snoscoots are so awesome!!

My little boy just continues to learn new skills on this thing. There is no way he learns this on the 120 and there's no way he learns this on a full size sled either. Only on the scoot could he be learning this stuff at 4'1" and 55 pounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExxXEeBJNXk

Last edited:

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Final review...maybe?

Alright, we have almost a full season on this thing now and it just continues to be awesome. It is certainly limited on power and floatation, but overall it is just a terrific little kid ride. The final good point about it is learning saturday that it is a well-balanced jumper as well. I went over to a buddy's house and he had set up a nice little step down for his kid, so then little by little my kid started hitting it a little bigger each time. They also both practiced turning it on edge. They can now both get the left side. Right side is still a different story. Reverse Zoolander syndrome - I'm sure they'll get it with a little more time.

My overall review of this sled is that I wasn't going to buy a first year model, and I ended up breaking that rule. I am super excited I broke that rule because it has led to increased fun, confidence, enthusiasm, excitement, skills, learning, progression, and adventure the way that no other commercially available machine could have even come close to. If you are at all in this market, I highly recommend getting one as soon as possible - terrific little sled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vyto4gvP84

Last edited:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I'll second the guy above who recommended full size skis. We put a pair off a pro-climb on (they bolt right up, the ski rubber is identical even!) and it seemed to help quite a bit with flotation, without making it tough to steer.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Found a new skill for the Snoscoot

Well, it turns out that if you can get your kid out while it is still very cold and the snow is very fresh (and the hand warmers help a lot there), the scoot is also great for bustin drifts and bangin ditches.

I continue to love this darn machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C_0pciGiWY

Premium Features