• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Differences between 2018 MC and 2017 MC

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have never seen the weight specs for the 2018 MC.

Was there a weight savings over the 2017 MC?

Was there a HP increase with the 2018?

Were there reliability improvements on the 2018 models?

What changes are proposed for the 2019 models?

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
snowmobile.com just weighed an 18 and a couple other mfg. sleds. If the '18 dropped anything it looks like about 5 lbs. Still the heaviest. The Poo they weigh is a 3" so chain drive meaning Cat is still over 40 lbs heavier than the Axys with belt drive. So it appears the biggest change is the engine and the panels that make it slightly narrower than the '17 at the boards (running boards are the same as the '17).

Glock41

Premium Member
Jan 9, 2016
Selah wa
I have a 17 mountain cat 162 and really like it. I rode a 18 early release 153 this past week and to me the biggest difference is the motor. Bottom end on the new dsi 800 is noticeably better. To me the two sleds side hill and handle very similarly I was ready to upgrade last year and didn’t want to take a chance on the new motor. If I had to do it again I would buy the 18 just for the motor and the new secondary but I’m not at all unhappy with my 17

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
couple pounds lighter, some got aluminum driveshaft, not all, so couple pounds to maybe a few pounds. i am curious if they have aluminum jackshafts?
i believe the horsepower is rated exact same, but with broader range.
hard to beat reliability of the zuke.
side panels and smoothness of motor on bottom end are biggest improvements imo. im gonna guess i can still bolt in whatever comes on the '19 into my '17MC, so hard to decide when its time for a new sled loan.
and theres that attractive 950 kit for the zuke when it starts getting a little aged...

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks guys. I keep reading how much better everyone thinks the 2018 is than the 2017 but, I must say I just don't know if all the hype is real.

It's hard to beat the reliability of the Suzuki motor.

The hp rating is virtually the same but supposedly there is more mid range power.

There isn't much in the way of weight savings over the 2017.

I am still on the fence but, I am hoping that with the cash flow of the new owner Textron, that there will be a new chassis and the 2019 or 2020 models will give us substantial improvements over existing models that makes us all want to dig out our wallets!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
2018 list of improvements/changes to my knowledge:
-Bodywork that is much easier to get into if you ever work on your sled (or have a muff pot :face-icon-small-hap). 1-2lb lighter.
-Nicer headlight and gauge display.
-Adjustable shock damping/rear lockout.
-Engine with more bottom end and midrange. 1lb lighter probably from getting rid of a set of plugs and coils.
-Zero deflection primary clutch. I'm sure this helps contribute to the increased bottom end.
-3lb lighter track shaft.
-2+lb lighter jackshaft. Still steel, but hollow instead of solid like 2016-2017.
-Lighter brake assembly.
2017 MC tunnel was already lighter than the previous years.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
The 18s have addressed my two biggest pain points with the 17 and older PCs:

1. much better starting motor in the cold - leave the zuk motor out on a zero or colder night and the next morning its a PIA to get started. Half wares you out before you've begun riding

2. Much improved side panels - the functionality of the 17 and older side panels are a joke.

Just my thoughts on it.

I have the 18 primary on my 16 but only had an hour testing before my season was ended. So I can't comment on the low end everyone speaks of on the 18s if it's the motor or clutch. I'm certain its a perfect combo of both. Have to wait until next season to get more confirmation on that. :face-icon-small-hap

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
'17 MC

I just installed the '18 Fox QSL rear track shock set @ 120 psi on my '17 MC; it required the 1" longer rear link (pull-down rod) which relocates on the upper bracket to the middle mounting hole. A slight geometry change for the skid?? I wanted to ride today, but haven't due to a blizzard here today! Anyone else made this RTS mod yet? I will report back after my next ride; I'm anxious to try the "lock" setting in deeper snow.:face-icon-small-coo

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
My bad; yes the black knob= rebound adjuster; had mine set on 8 out.:face-icon-small-con AND just noticed that mine has been rubbing on something at the top of the knob WTF??
Looked this afternoon & at the lower settings the rebound adjustment knob protrudes further out from the shock and the top portion of the knob rubs against the underside of the track at times!!:face-icon-small-sad

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I own a 18 Mountain Cat and traded off with a kid who had a 17 this past weekend. He didn't want to give me it back to me, and I was all the more excited to get off it and get back on mine. While at full throttle the power is very close, the responsiveness and smoothness of the 18 is very noticeable. Bodywork...the 17 just feels much wider. I've played around with the QS shocks and have them where I really like them, and the LED headlight does look very sharp. Plus I've defiantly fell in love with the color, that medium green just pops! I feel the 17 color scheme is just kinda...blehhh. Another plus is the sled sips oil, and I use about a gallon less in fuel during a day of riding then I would with the Zuke. And did I mention it has a gauge cluster you can actually read?

If you can make it work financial IMO the 18 is a must. I've been VERY happy with mine

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Thanks for getting us back on track and also for the great explanation on why you love your 2018. Your assessment sounds reasonable to me. Thanks again!

Y
Oct 18, 2010
Marquette MI
17's are getting cheaper.... I won't be upgrading from my 17 next year. The sled works very well, and has untouched reliability. Clutching is dialed, and suspension package performs very well once set right. The two machines are virtually identical performance wise.

So the question is, do you want to spend ~$3000 so you can get your muff pot out quicker?
The other improvement is the primary clutch. Do you want to spend ~$3000 for smoother clutch engagement? I don't.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
Sorry to be a bit off-topic; I guess that I should have simply asked "How do you '18 MC riders like the lock-out feature of the Fox QSL RTS in deeper snow?"

It is a very nice feature, ever park facing uphill and your rear suspension is all squatted? This eliminates that. My only complaint is those clickers get iced up pretty easy and they are hard to operate when they are. 90% of the time I leave all them on #2, sometimes throw the front skid shock on #3, use the lockout when I'm riding in the woods

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
17's are getting cheaper.... I won't be upgrading from my 17 next year. The sled works very well, and has untouched reliability. Clutching is dialed, and suspension package performs very well once set right. The two machines are virtually identical performance wise.

So the question is, do you want to spend ~$3000 so you can get your muff pot out quicker?
The other improvement is the primary clutch. Do you want to spend ~$3000 for smoother clutch engagement? I don't.

If you already own a 17 theres no use jumping through hoops to get an 18. If you are looking to buy a new sled and are deciding between the 17 or the 18, the 18 without a doubt has significant changes that warrants its purchase. If its a question of the 18's reliability with the new motor/clutching over the tried and true Zuki, I think its safe to say the Ctect has been proven to be just as reliable. Textron is pushing some good financing specials that make purchasing a new machine all the more easier, but when it comes down to it, some will be hard pressed to fork up the extra cash. To sum it up, I have not regretted my purchase one bit, and the extra couple thousand it will cost to buy a 18 or a 17 is well worth it IMO.

Premium Features