• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 - Appears Stuck in Limp Mode

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
My nephew picked up a holder 15 end of summer. It’s all stock except a can. A few weeks ago it would not start. Dealer said it was getting water in the electric connectors so added di-grease to all major connectors. Nephew also put frog skin on the hood slots and the clutch side panel hole. Sled ran great on a weekend trip after fix, ran great Saturday then Sunday morning pulled out of trailer ran it maybe a 100 yards down the trail, temp light came on and went into limp mode. Checked coolant, full. Sled fires up but still acts like it’s in limp mode won’t come out of it. Any thoughts? Sounds like more water is in electrical? I’m not sure exactly how the temp sensor works on these, but could that be bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
My nephew picked up a holder 15 end of summer. It’s all stock except a can. A few weeks ago it would not start. Dealer said it was getting water in the electric connectors so added di-grease to all major connectors. Nephew also put frog skin on the hood slots and the clutch side panel hole. Sled ran great on a weekend trip after fix, ran great Saturday then Sunday morning pulled out of trailer ran it maybe a 100 yards down the trail, temp light came on and went into limp mode. Checked coolant, full. Sled fires up but still acts like it’s in limp mode won’t come out of it. Any thoughts? Sounds like more water is in electrical? I’m not sure exactly how the temp sensor works on these, but could that be bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check the wiring for the temp sensor it may be rubbed thru or the sender may be failed. I have checked the service manual and all that's in there related to the temp sensor is a resistance chart. Is it possible the coolant system has air in it? As far as how the sender works it is the sames as most temp senders. As the temperature changes so does the resistance is the sender, really basic and simple. They are fairly reliable but that's not to say its not failed. If you have an ohm meter check the sender and if your below 200 its failed. 200 ohms is equal to 94 C or 200 F for reference

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
A break in the temp sensor wire or failed temp sensor will give you the same symptoms, the temp sensor fails to a default value like -50* and the sled runs crazy rich

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have a 2015 Proclimb and thankfully mine hasn't done what your nephews sled is doing. I think this may be correct based on what you are saying.

"Is it possible the coolant system has air in it?"

Elevated the front of the sled and let it run, perhaps with the coolant cap open so any air bubble in the rear of the sled can migrate forward and out of the coolant reservoir.

I have had a hard starting problem from time to time after a short break. The sled will start and immediately die but, that's a topic for another day. However, that too may be related to the temp sensor. I thought I read that one could add a spacer between the temp sensor and its mount fitting to help combat these erroneous errors. Does anyone else remember seeing that? It may help both of our situations.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Try unplugging the DET sensor line at the coupling about 12 inches from the cylinder head point that it is bolted in, if it has one. I am assuming your engine is similar to Polaris engines, since I do not own one of yours. The four primary suspects would be the DET sensor, the coil, the temp gauge, and the choke adjustment. If none of this fixes the problem, then the stator would be the very last to swap out.

Last edited:
Premium Features