• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Axys primary lifespan?

J
Oct 13, 2010
Washington
Taller lugged tracks are likely not helping clutch longevity either. Over the years traction has increased, engine power has increased, but the Polaris primary has not seen any radical upgrades.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
1. Adding motor mount torque arms from fire 'n ice are huge. If your clutches are being pulled out of allignment abnormal wear will occur. The motor mounts on the Axys are poor to say the least.

2. the new axys motor has a bad harmonic, somewhere at or above 8200rpm and becomes more pronounced with a turbo. Adding or removing weight to the primary will not much change this characteristic of the crank/motor

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

As for #1, my 16 Pro-RMK 163 has had the Fire n Ice torque arms from day one. Granted I'm only at 600 miles, but the clutch still works like it should. I had Cascade Clutch Performance install the Happy Face clutch cover, machine the sheaves and balance it using their spin balance machine before it ever saw any snow. I just replace the Dayco XTX 5020 belt that's been on since day one. It has never dropped RPM or run low RPMs. It's been running a 3.2" track since the '16-'17 season.

For #2, I don't know if this helped or not, but when I installed the BMP 860 kit during the summer of '16, I had SLP check and true the crank. They stated it was a little high in the middle. I can say it idles and runs smoother than when it cam from Polaris.

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
I rebuilt a P85 with a SPI rebuild kit once to try and save a few bucks over the OEM rebuild kit, 200 miles later all the bushings and rollers were shot again. Use OEM parts or buy a new clutch if you want it to last is what iv found.

I used OEM rebuild kits and was very disappointed. Wish an aftermarket company would make a heavy duty rebuild kit. Needle bearings in the rollers would be nice but not sure if it's possible. Maybe need to put a 2018 arctic cat clutch on the polaris.

dktraw

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2009
Halfway OR
No. it is not a bolt on option. the only way is if you send to Indy Dan or another shop to have taper bored out and sheave angles cut correctly.

Edit, looks like the taper MAY be correct, but the sheave angle will not match the 183 poo belt correctly. so it would probably bolt on but cause more damage than its worth....

Last edited:
Premium Features