• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Driveline Vibration Under Load

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Sled is a 2012 proclimb 800, has a supercharger on it. Cruising it doesn’t vibrate but when I crack it open and load it up, the sled vibrates in my feet. It did it last time I rode it but I thought it was the track tension...

Secondary helix bolts are there and tight
Jackshaft bearing PTO side tight and clean.
Chaincase was just opened and inspected and fresh oil, nothing was wrong, has the auto tensioner still.
Trackshaft is tight no play
Track tension and alignment is good.
Have antistab kit installed.
Track is only a 2.5 and not hitting anything.

I’m reading about a bent jackshaft or track shaft. Where do they bend? In the middle where one can check it or right at the bearing flange that would make it wobble when driving?

With the added torque from the supercharger would it be the chain skipping over the teeth of the gears because of the wonderful auto tensioner?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Check over your skid. Buddy lost one of the bolts that hold the front suspension arm to the rails. He kept tightening the track because it was ratcheting under load. Well it was ratcheting because the skid was flexing out of whack.

Ol* Geezer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
When mine cracked the plate between the pto and the jackshaft it would vibrate under load.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Check over your skid. Buddy lost one of the bolts that hold the front suspension arm to the rails. He kept tightening the track because it was ratcheting under load. Well it was ratcheting because the skid was flexing out of whack.
Skid has all the bolts. And nothing is out of whack in the skid either.
When mine cracked the plate between the pto and the jackshaft it would vibrate under load.
Plate has been cracked, but I got my buddy to tig weld it and reinforce it. Would that cause the vibration?

B
Jan 22, 2016
I have noticed the same thing on mine, just pulled a chunk of belt out from under the brake rotor, haven't ridden it yet to see if that was it. Welding that wont make it vibrate unless the guesset is rubbing on something or it's out of square from welding.

Last edited:
C
Jan 14, 2012
My M8 had the same problem, it was because the front skid was mounted in the lower hole.
Or you could have the track hitting the front of the rails. Anti stab kit is good insurance

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I have noticed the same thing on mine, just pulled a chunk of belt out from under the brake rotor, haven't ridden it yet to see if that was it. Welding that wont make it vibrate unless the guesset is rubbing on something or it's out of square from welding.
I’ll check if there’s anything in with the rotor. I should have bought the bdx light rotor I still have a solid one.
your belt might have a burn spot on it. Try a new belt.
That will be easy to check, when I take the belt off to get to the secondary I’ll put my spare on.
My M8 had the same problem, it was because the front skid was mounted in the lower hole.
Or you could have the track hitting the front of the rails. Anti stab kit is good insurance

My skid is mounted in the lower hole in the front and the rear. I could try putting it up and see if it fixes it, but I was hoping the antistab would prevent any contact with the track on the rail tips.

I have a few things I’m going to check out, my shop is unheated, and it’s been -35 out with windchill so haven’t been to ambitious to freeze myself.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
My 14 7000 with 2013 153" rails would vibrate under load similar to what your describing. It ended up being the track clips contacting the plastic rail caps instead of riding on the anti-stab wheels.
To fix it, I sanded/reshaped the rail caps using a stationary belt sander at the areas shown in the pic. I basically reshaped the caps so that the cap and anti-stab wheels have the same contact area to the track.

The rail cap on top with the Green rectangle is a extra cap that I had laying around for illustration purposes.

IMG_2771.jpg

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
My rail caps definitely touch before the anti stabs. Can see wear marks on the tips. Unsure if it would cause the vibration I’m feeling.

But..... the Bent driveshaft.... can’t tell by looking at it, but with a straight edge down the tube can see it’s bent quite a bit. Ran it on the stand and could see a little wiggle. now to find me a replacement.

ARCTIC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Check your track tension, mine was out of adjustment and causing the track clips and rubber to contact more on one side of the drivers than the other. I evened out the track adjustment and my vibration went away.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
Yeah, when i put the new driveshaft back in im going to run it on the stand and straighten everything out. There was a slight wobble on the brake side right at the driver. Unsure on how it bent. But i got another driveshaft that im going to throw in it. Theres a difference between the sprockets though, mine have a pointed extrovert, and the new ones have a flat topped extrovert, as if it is to give the rails more clearance not to hit the sprockets. Are the pointed ones not as good?

Premium Features