• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

modular helmets

A

attak06

Dec 23, 2007
st. cloud mn
I'm looking for input on modular helmets for my wife. She now uses a moto cross and goggles set up. She can't wear contacts any longer and is thinking about going to a modular helmet and go back to wearing glasses. What are you ladies using, what works what doesn't?
Thanks

Last edited:
W

Wowmom

Feb 10, 2013
Texas
My husband wore a Gmax modular helmet, he had great luck with it. Minimal fogging, warm.
Before I had Lasix surgery I used Cat Crap (yup, that's the name) on my glasses for fogging. Only thing I could find that worked.

That's my 2 cents worth!

Flower Power

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2018
I have gone from goggles to modular to electric shield modular and now back to goggles.

I wear glasses and am kind of a snob by wanting perfect vision when riding. It ain't happening though...perfect vision!

I like my HJC IS Max helmet because I can wear glasses and I love the extra drop down sunglasses in that helmet. I also like when mountain riding, I can lift the face bar to get some air when I am gassed from hiking to a stuck friend or digging myself out. The drawback is in very cold conditions (like Revy this Dec/Jan) the shield was icing up and I couldn't see a thing. I even used the new 509 regular goggle style Delta R-3 helmet that has an electric visor. The wiring for this helmet is super easy, but the 3 links come apart (unplug) easily and I would start to ice up. And, the end of one cable broke rending the visor as useless. The good thing about the Delta 3 is I just flipped the visor up and put goggles on.

While at Nadine Overwater's ladies riding clinic in Revy (La Nina Snow Camp) I saw a lot of awesome female riders using goggles and they didn't have any issues! So, I bought newer/bigger goggles that fill the helmet area and will go without glasses. I won't see as well as I do with glasses, but I will be able to see vs. fogging/freezing up. But, I will always have the option to use the visor and wear my glasses with this 509 helmet.

In CA, we don't usually get that cold of riding weather. So, the HJC IS Max is a favorite of mine. I can crack the shield and get rid of most fogging. I will be using this 509 Delta with goggles the next few rides to see how I fair.

Flower Power

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2018
Modular Helmet Info.

I have gone from goggles to modular to electric shield modular and now back to goggles.

I wear glasses and am kind of a snob by wanting perfect vision when riding. It ain't happening though...perfect vision!

I like my HJC IS Max helmet because I can wear glasses and I love the extra drop down sunglasses in that helmet. I also like when mountain riding, I can lift the face bar to get some air when I am gassed from hiking to a stuck friend or digging myself out. The drawback is in very cold conditions (like Revy this Dec/Jan) the shield was icing up and I couldn't see a thing. I even used the new 509 regular goggle style Delta R-3 helmet that has an electric visor. The wiring for this helmet is super easy, but the 3 links come apart (unplug) easily and I would start to ice up. And, the end of one cable broke rending the visor as useless. The good thing about the Delta 3 is I just flipped the visor up and put goggles on.

While at Nadine Overwater's ladies riding clinic in Revy (La Nina Snow Camp) I saw a lot of awesome female riders using goggles and they didn't have any issues! So, I bought newer/bigger goggles that fill the helmet area and will go without glasses. I won't see as well as I do with glasses, but I will be able to see vs. fogging/freezing up. But, I will always have the option to use the visor and wear my glasses with this 509 helmet.

In CA, we don't usually get that cold of riding weather. So, the HJC IS Max is a favorite of mine. I can crack the shield and get rid of most fogging. I will be using this 509 Delta with goggles the next few rides to see how I fair.

We need more snow!

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I'm looking for input on modular helmets for my wife. She now uses a moto cross and goggles set up. She can't wear contacts any longer and is thinking about going to a modular helmet and go back to wearing glasses. What are you ladies using, what works what doesn't?
Thanks

They do make googles that fit over glasses.
That might help you from having to buy a whole new helmet.
I do believe they also make prescription goggles.

Honestly I've heard a lot of people say that had issues with the modular helmets having too much condensation in the breath box, which creates complications.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
They do make googles that fit over glasses.
That might help you from having to buy a whole new helmet.
I do believe they also make prescription goggles.

Honestly I've heard a lot of people say that had issues with the modular helmets having too much condensation in the breath box, which creates complications.

Correct on prescription googles, my father has a pair.

M
Dec 26, 2008
Modular helmets

I wear glasses. Have had several different helmets. Wearing glasses and then the extra layer of goggles they always fogged. I now have a CKX Modular. I like that the whole front lifts. I took out the lower breath box and condensation problem is gone. It has heated shield as well. You can lift, eat, drink, talk etc much more convenient.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Get one like SKIdoo where it evacuates the breath out of the helmet.

Look at coating the glasses with anti fog chemicals.

Way Way back I used to put baby oil on glasses to keep from fogging up.

To solve all this I went and had LASIK surgery from the best place in California jsei.org

Premium Features