• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo size

F
Oct 16, 2008
Quebec
seen on OVS website taht they run gt30 series in their 800 etec, pro and M

what are the advantage to run with the gt30 ( less/more boost , lower/higer IaT , better/worst throttle response ,de/increased backpressure ?)

are the gt30 with turbin 0.63a/r equivalent to gt28 with turbine 0.86a/r in volume

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
i have a old m series the real one i use a 3071 but the 71 is a hta billit wheel suposedly it flows more. it also has the ss tial 63 on the hot side with a external gate. my tubing is all 3 inch. I have no comparisons with a smaller turbo but this one spools plenty good on the bottom i use mds weights.i have let no less than 75 strangers ride it none were disapointed at all it never has an issue and i built it my self (with two buddys)and it was not hard to do at all. Some times i would like to try a smaller turbo in there just to see but this thing runs great.. Not sure if this helps at all. And you know i thought it couldnt be true but everytime i push the flipper i really do just grin from ear to ear.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Because it moves more air you can run less boost and more timing and achieve what another turbo does turned up much higher. And you dont want a .86 on a 800

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Gt28 is an old design turbo. Even the gt30 series are old.
They work well, but there are BETTER turbos.
Ovs uses comp turbos on most of their kits. It's a grease filled turbo, pretty maintenence free accept the rebuild every so often. The turbine is more efficient than the garret. Way more expensive too.

HTA turbos FLOW MORE AIR. that's fact. They spool faster, move more volume and its based on the gt series chra. Very expensive

I think anyone running a factory Garrett gt28 is only doing it for the cost because there are several other manufacturer that have the same sized turbo or even a modded gt that will out produce the factory Garrett.

Turbo technology has developed WAY beyond the gt series but yet most kits have them because of cost and its good enough. Spool time, cfm, throttle response ect can all be changed by a different turbo.

Don't expect to get the same result as he did by bolting on a garret gt3071.
The tial with the forced performance upgrades are what make that turbo run on his 800 the way it does.

F
Oct 16, 2008
Quebec
Thanks for the reply

I was asking this because i’m at sea level to 2500’ so i was thinking about getting same hp than a conventional gt2860 but with less PSI

I might be wrong but More PSI = more heat and pressure in motor so dropping psi like 4psi for exemple and getting the same flow as a 2860 at 7psi would be great at sealevel. Might not need head cut or super high octan fuel.

What do yo think?

mk2g60

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, NH
www.shock-tech.com
Thanks for the reply

I was asking this because i’m at sea level to 2500’ so i was thinking about getting same hp than a conventional gt2860 but with less PSI

I might be wrong but More PSI = more heat and pressure in motor so dropping psi like 4psi for exemple and getting the same flow as a 2860 at 7psi would be great at sealevel. Might not need head cut or super high octan fuel.

What do yo think?

You'll want to have the head machined and run race fuel. I've been running turbo's at sea level for a number of years and to run less than 10lbs of boost is a waste. Why spend the time and money if your not going to use the hp?

F
Oct 16, 2008
Quebec
You'll want to have the head machined and run race fuel. I've been running turbo's at sea level for a number of years and to run less than 10lbs of boost is a waste. Why spend the time and money if your not going to use the hp?

Looking for 210-220 hp on a blend no head cut. 10psi might be awsome but i dont need it. Trees are tight here in the east!:yuck:

Running a 850, was asking info since a lot of cats run bigger turbo and was wondering whats are the benefits.

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
well a bigger turbo moves more air so you can run less psi to get the same power also along with that it runs cooler it has enabled me to run 3 dagrees advanced timing with no top end retarder makes it snappier also i can run less fuel. im not a pro turbo builder but i did a ton of research befor i started looking for parts and built mine some things for the better like timing were discovered along the way. Your on the right path by reasearching it.

mk2g60

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington, NH
www.shock-tech.com
Looking for 210-220 hp on a blend no head cut. 10psi might be awsome but i dont need it. Trees are tight here in the east!:yuck:

Running a 850, was asking info since a lot of cats run bigger turbo and was wondering whats are the benefits.

I'm about east as you can get and for years "turbo experts" would argue with me about having their heads machined for the fuel and boost they were running at sea level. Now after many blown up motors people are stating to listen. OVS said right from the start to machine the heads, they were dead on. Do what you want.

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
I'm about east as you can get and for years "turbo experts" would argue with me about having their heads machined for the fuel and boost they were running at sea level. Now after many blown up motors people are stating to listen. OVS said right from the start to machine the heads, they were dead on. Do what you want.

Why are they cutting the heads?

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Your making up for the lower compression with boost... It's contradictory to cut the head for lower compression, then increase volumetric efficiency to make up for the low compression.

Premium Features