• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

11 assualt piston study

pus1100

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
Troms,Norway
If you have one of the Polaris pistons and one of the Wiesco pistons, look at the ring end closure on both and compare these and then imo this can be a source of problems when using this type of ring end closure in the Polaris cylinder! I now use only pistons that have the Polaris type of ring end closure. I had and can confirm with photos, problems with three sets of pistons with the other type ring end closure to include total cylinder destruction/replacement.
gtwitch in wyoming

Is this a concern using Wiseco sk1396 direct replacement pistons?

3pine

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2017
RK TEC ?

I think it would be good idea to talk to Kelsey on this subject and also look into his pistons he sells for theses motors . RK Tec . JMHO

If you have one of the Polaris pistons and one of the Wiesco pistons, look at the ring end closure on both and compare these and then imo this can be a source of problems when using this type of ring end closure in the Polaris cylinder! I now use only pistons that have the Polaris type of ring end closure. I had and can confirm with photos, problems with three sets of pistons with the other type ring end closure to include total cylinder destruction/replacement.
gtwitch in wyoming
Humm I have read Indy dans Weisco rant, I know he was pissed they would not build Pistons how he wanted, no doubt Indy Dan is a deep thinker.
I built 3 pro top ends using Weisco Pistons and one has trouble, this motor that's the topic has been done 5 times that I know of . It's eaten Polaris, rktek,Polaris, and now this season Weisco and it's got more weiscos in it. The last set of weiscos their was no ring end gap butting and no push out of the ring locator pin. The rings and Above the rings on the Pistons looked fine un damaged however below the rings was scuffed and their was aluminum transfer to the cylinder, no eve dense of blow bye under the rings.
I think about this hard ... If water pump seals leak could coolant be taking out the skirts of the Pistons by entering the lower crank case then washing the oil film off the cylinder walls? I'm thinking so but if the coolant level don't seem to drop how little coolant would do the damage?

I think it would be good idea to talk to Kelsey on this subject and also look into his pistons he sells for theses motors . RK Tec . JMHO

Kelsey's stuff did not last any longer than anything else, his Pistons and head was try number three done by a local Polaris dealer. I have talked with him I heard his views but plain and simple his stuff did not do any better than Polaris or Weisco.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
How much coolant would it take to do damage you say.

I had a buddy running a late 90’s mxz 800 with a bad head o-ring. He was maybe 10 miles from home and even though we suggested trailering it home he rode it (not very gently) the whole way and looked like a steam train. Got a new o-ring in it and is still running strong(not my kinda luck).

Now you could say the coolant was coming in from the top, burning and going out exhaust quick. But I’m sure they’d still be lub interference. Apparently not enough to do much damage.

The only other way coolant could get in is the base gasket or Water pump seal. And would that interfere with lubrication more?

I’m guessing only if a noticeable amount of coolant was absent from the overflow jug. If you mark with a line (and after all air is removed) on the jug. It shouldn’t move from that line at all.

Last edited:
FOLLOW-UP
Ok guys first off thanks everyone yor your ideas and checking my ideas.
Here's how this ends, after the new Pistons in and oil in the tank and heat cycled the sled got traded in on an 18 163 3" track axys.
It's an Incredible ride that new sled in comparison to the old assult or my 12 pro, I should not have rode it because now I need one.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
FOLLOW-UP
Ok guys first off thanks everyone yor your ideas and checking my ideas.
Here's how this ends, after the new Pistons in and oil in the tank and heat cycled the sled got traded in on an 18 163 3" track axys.
It's an Incredible ride that new sled in comparison to the old assult or my 12 pro, I should not have rode it because now I need one.

Ha classic.

Look at it this way, not running it's not worth much, and running it's worth considerably more as a trade in.
It would be interesting to know if the shop sells this sled with a little inhouse warnty.
They fired it up on the truck listened for a moment and made the deal as discussed on the phone - done deal

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Look at it this way, not running it's not worth much, and running it's worthl considerably more as a trade in.
It would be interesting to know if the shop sells this sled with a little inhouse warnty.
They fired it up on the truck listened for a moment and made the deal as discussed on the phone - done deal

Oh I definitely think you/ the owner took the best route for your own profit.
I also think whoever ends up with the sled is getting the short end of the stick.

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
No way they add any kind of a warranty. They’ll sell it “as is”
Hopefully (but doubtfully) the unaware buyer has some luck.

A friend of mine bought a 08 m1000 from a dealer with 1,800 miles on it. Made it less then 50 miles and boom. Seized up. He brought it to the dealer he purchased from hoping for some sympathy. Nope. Dealer said $2700 to fix. He paid $3500 for it. Now he’s screwed. He’s stuck with the “part it out” or fix and hope this time different thought process.

I’m not trying to shame you or this situation because what where you suppose to do? How many time did this thing get fixed and how much money flushed down the toilet? And the cycle goes on! Imagin how much money this sled will have thrown at it before it’s finaly scrapped? Next guy throws a top end or two at it. Maybe bottom end too cause when top end goes out who knows what kinda shape bottoms in. Then he says enough is enough and sells or trades in.

Another friend of mine bought a 2016 sks brand new. Pto seal just went at 340miles! Dealer is doing new warranty motor. But for fu&$ sake! Why can’t polaris figure out how to get better quality out of these things? Do they just not give a damn? Are they trying to get to much power out of these motors and reliability just isn’t possible? 150 horse out of a motor that weighs 150pounds is insane when u think about it.

I guess the only way to go is buy new with warranty, sell at a loss when warranty is up and repeat. Next owner has what... maybe a 3 in 10 chance of getting a decent machine?! Alright I’m off my soap box now

Hopefully some piston whisperer buys this sled and not some kid who saved up all his snow shoveling money over the last 3 years

Last edited:
Oh I definitely think you/ the owner took the best route for your own profit.
I also think whoever ends up with the sled is getting the short end of the stick.

Get real dewd, my buddy bought this sled brand new from a dealer, the sled motor got redone at the dealer several times with Polaris Pistons / monoblock and a crank shaft from Polaris as well as a RK TEC head and Pistons all done at the dealership.
My buddy asked me to give it a go saying I couldn't do any worse than the shop with their tecnitions.
If it was my sled I wouldn't sell it to a friend or Nabours - who better to have this sled back than a genuine Polaris dealer ? Better yet an American Polaris dealer. I think we all know 2011 they had a few issues and a lot of people would say don't bother rebuilding a 2011 assualt or pro cut your losses and part it out.

No way they add any kind of a warranty. They’ll sell it “as is”
Hopefully (but doubtfully) the unaware buyer has some luck.

A friend of mine bought a 08 m1000 from a dealer with 1,800 miles on it. Made it less then 50 miles and boom. Seized up. He brought it to the dealer he purchased from hoping for some sympathy. Nope. Dealer said $2700 to fix. He paid $3500 for it. Now he’s screwed. He’s stuck with the “part it out” or fix and hope this time different thought process.

I’m not trying to shame you or this situation because what where you suppose to do? How many time did this thing get fixed and how much money flushed down the toilet? And the cycle goes on! Imagin how much money this sled will have thrown at it before it’s finaly scrapped? Next guy throws a top end or two at it. Maybe bottom end too cause when top end goes out who knows what kinda shape bottoms in. Then he says enough is enough and sells or trades in.

Another friend of mine bought a 2016 sks brand new. Pto seal just went at 340miles! Dealer is doing new warranty motor. But for fu&$ sake! Why can’t polaris figure out how to get better quality out of these things? Do they just not give a damn? Are they trying to get to much power out of these motors and reliability just isn’t possible? 150 horse out of a motor that weighs 150pounds is insane when u think about it.

I guess the only way to go is buy new with warranty, sell at a loss when warranty is up and repeat. Next owner has what... maybe a 3 in 10 chance of getting a decent machine?! Alright I’m off my soap box now
Hopefully some piston whisperer buys this sled and not some kid who saved up all his snow shoveling money over the last 3 years

American engineering at its finest ? Polaris built it and sold it and got it back, and sold a new 18 machine ...and in the future when it's gotten old they may get it back if it's not worthey of selling to a friend or nabour kids. Shame on the dealer if they sell that 2011 to anyone.
Any problems with that xc *** ? The dealer knows what's been going on with this sled and the old owner had enough of it

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Polaris does not own the dealerships. Just as Chevy doesn’t own Chevy dealerships. I’m sure this dealership (like others) has made a killing on this sled, commission on sale, paid by polaris and your buddy for warranty work and such, now they’ll sell it again for a profit.

Look man I got no beef. Did your buddy deserve to deal with this lemon? Hell no. And niether does anyone else. I fallowed this thread hoping you’d find an answer to this riddle of disastrous engineering and your buddy could have the sled he wanted in the first place. It is what it is:juggle:

Plain and simple, theirs some relationship/conection between a dealership and their suplyer/manufacturer now having said that I,m glad my buddy got a rocking new sled and I know he couldn't sell that old sled to the manufacturer.
It's not like the dealership gave a new sled cheap or payed big bucks for the old 2011 assualt and just maybe they will use it for parts or sell it to someone they dislike but in any case it's overwith for the original owner.
I did not come here to trash a dealer or pick on Polaris , I like my 2 Polaris sleds but my buddy did not have a good time with that assualt over the years and it cost him plenty. It's not hard to understand using that sled as a down payment on a new one?

Premium Features