• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ALERT: <<<Cooke City and Beartooth riding area>>> possible conversion to WILDERNESS

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Just emailed my thoughts . .. copied below. .

I am an avid snowmobiler and snowbiker and have always considered Cooke City and the surrounding area one of the premier riding destinations on the North American continent. The variety of terrain and the beauty of the countryside here is second to none and I would specifically ask that there be no additional restrictions on the riding areas that we presently are able to enjoy, and more so, that there be established guaranteed winter motorized access to the entire area.
We travel 18-20 hours to ride this area and if a reduction in riding area happens it would definitely be a factor in deciding where our mountain riding takes place, and our dollars are spent, as this would very much take away from the variety and amount of riding we could do ..actually taking away from the very reason we go west. .to enjoy the peace and beauty and grandeur of wide open mountain riding. Please consider not taking any action that would reduce the riding areas already enjoyed by all of us who love the mountains and also that this issue be settled and finalized to ensure that we can look forward to many years of coming to Cooke City to ride one of the the best ranges in the country. Thanks for your time.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Talk to your local dealers and try to get them to spread the word as well. Their livelihood depends on it. Two of the dealers I talked to tonight here in Billings didn't know anything about this.

andym2001

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2014
St. Paul, MN
www.michelshomes.com
Sent... & Dressed up one of the previous posts.

Hello -

To whom it may concern:
I am an avid snowmobiler and have always considered Cooke City and the surrounding area one of the premier Snowmobile destinations on the North American continent. The variety of terrain and the beauty of the countryside here is second to none. The proposal set forth asking that there be restrictions on the riding areas that we presently are able to enjoy, and more so, that are established as winter motorized access can not be passed for a number of reasons:

We travel 18-20 hours to ride this area and if a reduction in riding area happens it would definitely be a factor in deciding where our mountain riding takes place, and our dollars are spent, as this would very much take away from the variety and amount of riding we could do ..actually taking away from the very reason we go west, to enjoy the peace and beauty and grandeur of wide open mountain riding.

In addition we travel in a group of up to 15 people, spending on average $200-300 per day for a 6 day trip. The major ‘looser’ in taking away this riding areas are the small towns depending on the revenue of snowmobilers. Loosing up to $27,000.00 from our group, then multiplied by how many groups enjoy the area… this would be a major loss to towns like Red Lodge, Cooke City etc.
Please consider not taking any action that would reduce the riding areas already enjoyed by all of us who love the mountains and also that this issue be settled and finalized to ensure that we can look forward to many years of coming to Cooke City to ride one of the the best ranges in the country. Thanks for your time.

Premium Features